Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1778
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    First, teh lulz: https://driving.ca/auto-news/crashes...0934a99b5/amp/

Secondly, a question re: range when cold. It’s not clear from people’s post if they are saying the displayed range doesn’t take into account the current ambient temperature. If you’re driving on the hiway at a relatively constant speed, and have the seat heaters on low and the cabin warming on, then something like a 30% reduction in best-case range will occur. Will the displayed range reflect that reduction?
    the model Y struggles with predicting range in really cold weather. The miles seem to just peel off the estimated range. The car does try to adjust in real time but it is always over estimating what’s left. I think both the cabin heat as well as the need to keep batteries warm attribute to this. It becomes noticeable with temps below 20, then severe when the temp drops below 0.

Electric car thread

We just got a used XC90 plug in. Pretty happy with it so far. We are looking to install a 240v charger. This car is kind of a band-aid so I think we’ll have it for 3-5 years before getting a full EV. Do I just have the electrician put in a 40amp 240v dryer plug or should we hard wire in a level 2 charger? I don’t see a lot of benefit to the extra cost of a hardwired charging station and it seems like the dryer plug will actually be more flexible if the next car uses a different plug. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    We just got a used XC90 plug in. Pretty happy with it so far. We are looking to install a 240v charger. This car is kind of a band-aid so I think we’ll have it for 3-5 years before getting a full EV. Do I just have the electrician put in a 40amp 240v dryer plug or should we hard wire in a level 2 charger? I don’t see a lot of benefit to the extra cost of a hardwired charging station and it seems like the dryer plug will actually be more flexible if the next car uses a different plug. Am I missing something?

Just make sure you know what the plug is on the level 2 charger that you’re getting - there are different NEMA outlets, and it’s not necessarily the same as a dryer one. Our Chargepoint Home Flex is plugged into a NEMA 6-50, and I recall that being different from anything we had in the house previously.

When we got our charger we went with the plug-in Chargepoint, thinking that we could unplug and bring elsewhere if ever needed. Needless to say, we’ve never encountered that situation, but if you have a ski house or another property you move between, it might help.

You may already know this, but if you’re getting a 40A charger, it needs to be on a 50A breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Run 6ga wire and breaker it at 50A. Get a 40A wall unit. Doesn't really matter if you hardwire it or put in a receptacle (outlet) just put it in a double gang box. Easy to change from hardwired to plug or vice versa later. The cost should be essentially the same either way.
    The XC90 doesn't need that much power but the controller on the car is going to limit how much it actually draws and installing the extra capacity now means that you don't need to replace it all when you upgrade.

^^^ that's the best future proof solution. As for receptacles, pay the extra money and get the Bryant 9450FR or Hubbell HBL9450A receptacle (technically the same thing, just different branding). It's considerably more heavy duty than the typical dryer or range receptacles from the box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ that's the best future proof solution. As for receptacles, pay the extra money and get the Bryant 9450FR or Hubbell HBL9450A receptacle (technically the same thing, just different branding). It's considerably more heavy duty than the typical dryer or range receptacles from the box stores.
    Hubbell has certainly been the industry standard for years, but Pass Seymour and Leviton have caught up. A Nema 14-50R from any of those three should treat you right. Amazon /HD cheap Charlie guy maybe not so much.

Recycling, it's a thing. Early Tesla engineer speaks on battery development for electric cars, and recycling.

Recommend skipping the first 14 minutes (of academic butt sniffing)

Summary - In the early days, manufacturing dominated battery cost. Manufacturing is now so efficient that materials cost dominates, primarily lithium and also nickel. Straubel's new company aims to mass recycle used batteries.

ETA: Youtube recommended a much better video on the recycling topic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jih...dwoodMaterials
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 04-19-2023 at 10:24 AM.

I saw on LinkedIn that rivian did some layoffs in CA. Looks like their manufacturing engineering team is gone. The post in my feed indicated that it was a new team that was designed to be scaled-up as their production increased.

Tesla's price drop brings an awd long-range Model Y to about $40k ($7500 fed credit, $2k Colorado credit). Pretty tempting!
    Fortunately, my wife's 1999 is still running and she's happy with that and it's a lot cheaper than $40k, so I guess we'll keep riding it til it dies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8359.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	943.8 KB 
ID:	456773
    Saw this BEV yesterday, looked pretty retro

Guy had to put his name and year on the plate so he remembers what car is his. Probably can't figure out what 'ev parking only' means either.

Last month I forgot to charge my car overnight and limped into the only charging place within miles and found a gas car parked in the two EV charging spots, blocking both spots. I wanted to kick his door in when I thought I had to get a tow. Luckily the cable was extra long (never seen a long one before at a Tesla charging place) so I parked in a handicap spot to make it work. Why though? WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Tesla's price drop brings an awd long-range Model Y to about $40k ($7500 fed credit, $2k Colorado credit). Pretty tempting!
    Fortunately, my wife's 1999 is still running and she's happy with that and it's a lot cheaper than $40k, so I guess we'll keep riding it til it dies.
    Musk said he's going to put sales growth ahead of profit, so get ready for more price drops.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Why though? WHY?
    Because the Norms in this country are really Dicks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8359.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	943.8 KB 
ID:	456773
    Saw this BEV yesterday, looked pretty retro
    This flew right past me at first. Of course norm’s just being a dick.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

One good dick deserves another ...... spiked tires and shattered windows.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/26/2...-affordable-ev

Chevy's killing the Bolt and Bolt EUV after this year. Sad day for the continued momentum of "affordable" EV's. Until the Leaf gets a range bump and the ID2all materializes, it will be hard to sneak below $30k for an all around EV option.

Funny enough we just has our first EV rental experience and it was a Bolt EUV, from Hertz out of SeaTac. Our trip timing changed and switching to an EV was $100 cheaper than extending our original IC reservation. It wasn't convenient for our rural location on the Peninsula and driving needs, plus only having 110v charging at the house (4miles range added per hour), but it was fine. I tried to use the Charge America 150kW station in Gig Harbor on the way back to SeaTac to top off and return the car above 70% charge, but it would only charge at 30kW with 64% charge remaining and a 55kW max charge rate on the Bolt. I got back to SeaTac at 52% charge and had pay the $35 fee for returning below 70% charge. Still came out well ahead compared to gas.

Disappointing to hear about the bolt. I saw that Toyota had a new ev: bZ4X. Awd version starts at $45k.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Disappointing to hear about the bolt. I saw that Toyota had a new ev: bZ4X. Awd version starts at $45k.
    Anybody care to roughly pencil out cost of ownership diff between awd bZ4X at $45k and awd Corolla cross hybrid at $30k.

Also, I recently saw an article briefly explaining that Toyota has a patent on a pedal clutch intended for a hybrid vehicle. Curious if that could be used in a hybrid hydrogen vehicle. Anybody know?

"Electrify America’s CEO-elect tested its EV chargers on a cross-country road trip. Here’s how it went"

https://electrek.co/2023/05/02/elect...ica-road-trip/

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    the bZ4X shares the same platform as the Subaru Solterra.

…..and the new Lexus RZ for $60k

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Electric car thread

The subi solterra looks to be the same base cost as the bZ4X. Good to know it’s the same platform.

But Fkna, it’s all a hard price point pill to swallow.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 05-05-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Yeah, the Toyota and Subaru are IMO too expensive for what they are.

I am waiting to see what the price point looks like for the Equinox EV AWD.

An entertaining read about NADA fighting the BEV
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-desantis.html

Nelly ran through his greatest hits of the early 2000s: “Hot in Herre,” “Air Force Ones.” The music of a bygone time, a simpler, better era, when cars weren’t sold by direct-to-consumer, the internet barely existed, and prices were negotiable and opaque. The crowd knew all the words. He did a remix of “Cruise,” the country song by Florida Georgia Line, which features a whole bunch of car imagery. Everyone loved it. It was the third time I’d heard it that day: once remixed, once covered, and once recorded, played through tinny convention center speakers.

An entertaining read about NADA fighting the BEV
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-desantis.html
    JFC. That was sad. I am convinced our country has jumped the shark.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda