Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1778
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    EV is coming. But I want it to be from a major manufacturer that can back up their product with service and parts.
    HA! That's STILL no guarantee of parts availability. See: The Ford Focus EV

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/fa...he-car-itself/

Ford made the Focus EV up until 2018, and they've ALREADY stopped making new batteries. Heck, you couldn't even get a replacement last year. This demonstrates a large problem with the auto industry and they're faux "green" initiatives. They treat them as disposable appliances and much like Apple, want you to continually replace them. Has a single auto maker laid out a long term vehicle sustainability plan? When you can't get a replacement battery from a major manufacturer (Ford) for a vehicle that only ceased production barely 5 years ago, then what hope do we have to hold these auto makers accountable?

HUGE opportunity for the aftermarket industry, BUT much of that hinges on Right to Repair laws since ALL new cars are so software driven, which is seriously locked down tight. Surprised the hacker community hasn't done more to crack these things wide open for repair purposes. To their credit, the Biden administration's TRIED to address Right to Repair, and we thought we had a win in New York, but after the lobbyists (looking at you John Deere) and politicians got through with it, it was absolutely defanged and was a victory in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    HA! That's STILL no guarantee of parts availability. See: The Ford Focus EV

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/fa...he-car-itself/

Ford made the Focus EV up until 2018, and they've ALREADY stopped making new batteries. Heck, you couldn't even get a replacement last year. This demonstrates a large problem with the auto industry and they're faux "green" initiatives. They treat them as disposable appliances and much like Apple, want you to continually replace them. Has a single auto maker laid out a long term vehicle sustainability plan? When you can't get a replacement battery from a major manufacturer (Ford) for a vehicle that only ceased production barely 5 years ago, then what hope do we have to hold these auto makers accountable?

HUGE opportunity for the aftermarket industry, BUT much of that hinges on Right to Repair laws since ALL new cars are so software driven, which is seriously locked down tight. Surprised the hacker community hasn't done more to crack these things wide open for repair purposes. To their credit, the Biden administration's TRIED to address Right to Repair, and we thought we had a win in New York, but after the lobbyists (looking at you John Deere) and politicians got through with it, it was absolutely defanged and was a victory in name only.
    This is why I hate Capitalism.

Pardon me if it has been mentioned previously, but I’d like to complain about our 2021 Nissan Leaf. It’s a nice car, particularly for the price. After 10k miles, the battery has shit the bed. Dealership says 3 months for a new one because it keeps happening. They gave us a Sentra for the duration, but wife is pretty unhappy to have a warm car after 15 minutes of driving instead of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    This is why I hate Capitalism.
    Capitalism's merely the mechanism. What you should REALLY direct your hate at even more are the all the corporate phonies who are blowing green smoke up everybody's asses to boost ESG scores. You should ALSO direct your ire to all the idiot masses who buy into said smoke blowing as if these companies even care.

Just look at all this self-fellating fart sniffing in wine glasses that Ford's doing here:
    https://corporate.ford.com/social-im...inability.html
    https://shareholder.ford.com/investors/esg/default.aspx

All whilst discontinuing meaningful product support for a product that's not even at all old. Talk about greenwashing, huh?

Or how about these guys?: https://www.apple.com/environment/
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    idk about that summary. every company has software, not many make cars. Tesla is great at marketing, and their software bugs are in the news regularly.
    I wasn't saying their software was good (or bad). I was saying the car is software.

A friend has a very fast WRX/STI that he spent countless hours on in the garage doing bolt on mods. That car is 90something percent machine, and 10ish percent tune. A guy I used to work with had a Model S. When he wanted more acceleration he simply purchased the code. With the exceptions of wipers and turn signals, most stuff in a Model 3 is controlled through the screen.

Going back to what CS said about the big guys backing up their products with service and parts, the number of consumable moving parts is an order of magnitude fewer than in conventional cars. Mechanically, EVs are very simple machines. The software is what differentiates them.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    They gave us a Sentra for the duration
    Vibes. I recently drove a rental Sentra. What an absolute pile of shit.

A guy I worked with had that electric Ford and the battery went bad so they were going to replace it for some outrageous amount. They were also going to make him take the old one but it needed special transport and disposal that wasn't available so he tried to trade it on a new car. They wouldn't take it until the repair was done.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    A guy I worked with had that electric Ford and the battery went bad so they were going to replace it for some outrageous amount. They were also going to make him take the old one but it needed special transport and disposal that wasn't available so he tried to trade it on a new car. They wouldn't take it until the repair was done.
    ...but, but, but, according to their website Ford is SOOPER sustainable and they care about teh environment OH so much!!!

Which Ford, Mustang Mach-E? or truck?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    While I get not wanting a tesla due to shit craftsmanship, I don't see how other companies are going to magically be repair-free with their first versions of an E car. It's all a gamble.
    Just conjecture here but… I see Honda and Toyota, essentially being the last majors to go EV…. I (hope) assume they are taking longer because they are doing their Japanese thing and spending years dialing in the product before release so they don’t have issues….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Akio Toyoda is resisting the electrification wave. Don't know what Honda is contemplating, but agree that both could build something better than most of what's on the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Akio Toyoda is resisting the electrification wave.
    Toyota's still trying hard to pursue hydrogen. They have the amazing Mirai, but unfortunately the H2 infrastructure is simply not there. I'm on board with hydrogen. It's awesome, but it has some HUGE hurdles to tackle before it has a chance to take off. Big strides being made behind the scenes on the infrastructure side of things, but going to be a long time until it's really marketable.

Ford Lightning batteries seem to be failing at an alarming rate with no replacements available. Tyler Hoover (Hoovies garage) sold his Lightning back to a dealer, who bought it solely to replace the battery on another truck, only to have that trucks battery also fail. That is a wild story.

Toyota seems to be talking sense in that outside of limited use applications, EVs aren't practical. If you own a house with a garage, and only use it around town, sure there is a use case. In every other scenario, ICE wins.
    Live Free or Die

For those not familiar:

Neat car. Even comes with complimentary fuel for the first 3 years/15K miles! If only you can find a filling station that is.

Toyota is also arguing if you want to reduce impact a bunch of hybrids are a better current use of resources than a bunch of BEV

Not one. Not two, but THREE Hindenburgs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T3H.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	443362

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Toyota seems to be talking sense in that outside of limited use applications, EVs aren't practical. If you own a house with a garage, and only use it around town, sure there is a use case. In every other scenario, ICE wins.
    Pushing EVs on everything makes no sense to me. Great for smaller cars. Stupid on trucks. An 8000 lbs monstrosity is not green. A friend in Europe has had a Hyundai fuel cell suv for maybe 18 months now. Loves it. Pricey but trucks are pricey enough these days that'd be a good fit I think. He loves fueling up next to a Tesla owner waiting for a battery to charge. I drove it around and it was nice. He has to plan his long trips around H2 ready gas stations though.

Not one. Not two, but THREE Hindenburgs!

Name:	T3H.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	468.2 KB 
ID:	443362
    That'll really take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT View Post
    Pushing EVs on everything makes no sense to me. Great for smaller cars. Stupid on trucks. An 8000 lbs monstrosity is not green. A friend in Europe has had a Hyundai fuel cell suv for maybe 18 months now. Loves it. Pricey but trucks are pricey enough these days that'd be a good fit I think. He loves fueling up next to a Tesla owner waiting for a battery to charge. I drove it around and it was nice. He has to plan his long trips around H2 ready gas stations though.
    H2 indeed makes a LOT more sense for semis for sure. Hyundai already has the Xcient out in Europe (I think in Switzerland primarily?). I believe it's coming to CA soon if not there already. It will be much easier to install strategic fuel stops for semis than to fuel up all consumer cars in America, so it's a good place to start. As has become tradition with Tesla, we're STILL waiting on their semi offering.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    95% of vehicle trips in the US are less than 30 miles.

Your home ownership / access to charging point stands, but if you take that out of the equation EVs are insanely practical for a huge majority of the population for the vast majority of their trips.

Name:	Image1674160433.561225.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	443372

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I know a guy who bought an EV (EV6) has a garage and basically only charges the thing at a grocery store once a week because it is free or very cheap.

Also know another person with a MachE who lived in an apartment and just charged at work or grocery store.

Never seemed to be an issue, but they definitely fall into the short daily trip category.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    95% of vehicle trips in the US are less than 30 miles.

Your home ownership / access to charging point stands, but if you take that out of the equation EVs are insanely practical for a huge majority of the population for the vast majority of their trips.

Name:	Image1674160433.561225.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	443372

Except for the 5% of trips that aren't, and the charging part is a like 95% of the equation.

Like I said, there is a very limited use case, but telling 99% of the world to buy an additional very expensive vehicle that depreciates like a stone just for short trips is a non-starter.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    That'll really take off.
    and Led Zeppelin was born

Which Ford, Mustang Mach-E? or truck?
    The CMax Energi. He ended up scrapping it.
    Akio Toyoda is resisting the electrification wave. Don't know what Honda is contemplating, but agree that both could build something better than most of what's on the market today.
    I saw a commercial for an Acura Electric cuv that said available soon this morning so they're almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I saw a commercial for an Acura Electric cuv that said available soon this morning so they're almost there.
    Built on a GM platform strangely enough