Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I get a bit of range anxiety just reading your posts.
    Me 3.
    Also, I have no fear of passing ever. Will a Tesla give me this fear?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Me 3.
    Also, I have no fear of passing ever. Will a Tesla give me this fear?
    That stretch of highway 395 is sketchy as fuck. Seen the results of many multicar/truck/motorbike accidents there. However, catch that area during a huge desert bloom, and all you want to do is drop a tab and follow a slow truck that’s easy to pace-off. (Happy bicycle day!)

Test drove a used 2013 Leaf today

Interesting. For a regular car, like one for my kid to drive to/from school? Totally fine.

75 mile range. Actually regenerated more range than I used on a 10 mi loop

Seat bottom was too short for me, but for running errands around town was perfectly fine.

Could be cheap way for my kid to have a HS car.

Dude wanted $5K for it. Only 35K miles; 11/12 bars on battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Dude wanted $5K for it. Only 35K miles; 11/12 bars on battery.
    That's a very sweet deal. There are a ton of Leafs around Juneau.

And I'm pretty sure you can take it in and someone can run a more detailed battery assessment to let you know what shape it is in beyond those bars.

LongDong, that’s great you made it work to go to Mammoth. I wish more people would just make it work for their circumstances.

But to offer another perspective for future buyers, I’m coming upon 3 years and only used a charger not at my house once, for twenty minutes. I’ve always had regen braking on low, and never had snow issues with it. The instant electronic response when you are slipping is impressive, It’s better than a 4matic or Subaru awd. I wish I got the performance 3 so I could disable the traction controls honestly, I wanna do donuts in the parking lot.

plug, the 3 has torque at any speed, like any electric car, so there is no spooling up to overtake and go from 60 to 80 for example. It’ll drain some blood from your face on you punch it in the dual motor version. And I have the option of a software upgrade to give it more hp permanently with a few clicks on my phone...

only regret is not plugging it in every night to keep the battery tip top. Mine doesn’t charge past 300 miles anymore. My 7 year old daughter may inherit this car, even if it only charges to 75 miles of total range in 9 years. It’s the safest car on the road and I can look on the app how fast she is going, where she is currently, and be that helicopter parent I always wanted to be

only regret is not plugging it in every night to keep the battery tip top.
    I read on a forum:

Alternatively , I have left it at the airport for 2 weeks (unplugged) and I lose about half the charge (235 miles down to 120) which is plenty to drive home. Trips of 3 weeks or longer, I would leave it plugged in at home. A month without charging is not a good idea and a year is totally out of the question. Maintain your battery between 10% and 90% charge and your car will have a long happy life.
    I didn’t know so much charge would be lost after, say, a week of no use. I’m an infrequent driver...guess I’d learn to plug it in every time I parked in garage.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I get a bit of range anxiety just reading your posts.
    I imagine so

plugboots,

I would actually say a Tesla might do the opposite of giving fear. The torque is so nuts that even an extremely cautious driver like me will occasionally pass on either the lower section of the 395, or the section of the 14 above Red Rock Canyon before the 395 and 14 meet where it is one lane in each direction for a while, because the Tesla accelerates so quickly.

As an example, the 395 gets really bad wind, so even when there are two lanes in each direction, and you can pass easily, I try to get past trucks very quickly. I have seen the wind blow trucks into the other lane. I have also made the drive when they were not letting trucks on the road, they were pulling them all over in Lone Pine. This last trip I was cruising around 80 when I came upon a truck, and while quickly passing it I got it up to 100. I absolutely cannot believe the way the model 3 accelerates, it goes from 80 to 100 in the blink of an eye. I am still not going to attempt any remotely risky passes into the oncoming traffic lane, but the incredible acceleration does make passing a breeze. I am blown away by how quickly it can go from around 80 to 100, and I don't even have the performance version!

My wife was doing some of the driving on this trip so that I could get some work done. At one point I looked over and she was doing 90. I asked her if she wanted to be going that fast, and she said 'holy shit' and slowed down. She has only driven it a handful of times, so it does take some getting used to.

If you do like to pass on that 395 stretch, and as bodywhomper says be REALLY careful as it is incredibly sketchy, this car is great, because it just explodes. As I said earlier in this thread, the acceleration is much greater than our Maserati, and while we do have the working class Maserati (it's a Ghibli) that is not what I expected. When I accelerate on the highway in the Ghibli it feels like it is dragging an anchor in comparison.

If I had an extra 140k lying around I would love a Model S Plaid +. The numbers being thrown around on that one are insane. 500 miles of range, 0-60 in 1.99 seconds and 1100 horsepower.

https://evcompare.io/cars/tesla/tesla-model-s-plaid/

Can one of you guys pick one up so that I can enjoy it vicariously through you?
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-21-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

This is stupid.

https://www.consumerreports.org/auto...-drivers-seat/

When I drove a cab in NYC in 1978, you know, tech dark ages ( I was overjoyed they just invented electric door locks controllable by the driver), it was Impossible to rip off the fleet owner by pocketing 100% of some fares. They were always recorded on the meter, because, once somebody put their butt in the passenger or back seat, a switch went off, and they were on the clock. Of course the drivers seat could do that, but, why? Fast Foward to 2020, and Tesla doesnt have a weight activated switch under the driver's seat? WTF?

This will probably be my first EV or one of their 15 EVs by 2025 https://youtu.be/3o1kb7Jq85k

Buying our 2011 VW TDI made sense a couple of years ago, but now that my post COVID commute will be 35 miles round trip I am really regretting not getting an EV. Would love a Leaf or something smaller for the commute and around town. Of course , I’ll need to buy a house to charge the thing which is going to be a huge barrier to EV adoption.

I have a number of neighbors on my street with power cords but no garage parking. Seems to work for them and they are thoughtful enough to have a ramp over the cord so strollers and bikes can go over no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I have a number of neighbors on my street with power cords but no garage parking. Seems to work for them and they are thoughtful enough to have a ramp over the cord so strollers and bikes can go over no problem.
    Interesting.

I can’t see that flying in apartment style living in major cities, but maybe they will be offered some incentives to install charging stations.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Same here. One guy even has mini orange traffic cones. Seems like there's a Leaf on every block in my hood.

I'm back in this club with a 2021 Bolt. It's a nice ride and I dig the 1 pedal driving mode.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So, continuing my earlier thought:

Is getting into something like a 2011 - 2013 Leaf for under $10k and closer to 5k as a grocery getter and commuter a reasonable idea? My whole premise with owning a car is to put as little money into it as possible. We own a Outback as our other vehicle.

My commute would be 35 miles round trip on the highway with some traffic with no charging at the office (currently). Research indicates that the range on these older models can drop closer to 60-70 miles as they age, which seems like cutting it close and might complicate side trips etc.

The TDI is paid off, so I don’t want to find myself with a payment, but not dealing with the associated VW maintenance in the near future is extremely appealing and I am also getting close to the end of the 126,000 mile emissions scandal warranty. Looking at brakes, timing belt and probably some suspension work in the next 10k miles as well.

My understanding with the electrics is that they are basically maintenance free unless you are talking batteries.

This diesel made a ton of sense when I was commuting 100 miles per day on the freeway and I could get ~45mpg or better. It makes way less sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post

Is getting into something like a 2011 - 2013 Leaf for under $10k and closer to 5k as a grocery getter and commuter a reasonable idea? My whole premise with owning a car is to put as little money into it as possible. We own a Outback as our other vehicle.

My commute would be 35 miles round trip on the highway with some traffic with no charging at the office (currently). Research indicates that the range on these older models can drop closer to 60-70 miles as they age, which seems like cutting it close and might complicate side trips etc.

The TDI is paid off, so I don’t want to find myself with a payment, but not dealing with the associated VW maintenance in the near future is extremely appealing and I am also getting close to the end of the 126,000 mile emissions scandal warranty. Looking at brakes, timing belt and probably some suspension work in the next 10k miles as well.

My understanding with the electrics is that they are basically maintenance free unless you are talking batteries.

This diesel made a ton of sense when I was commuting 100 miles per day on the freeway and I could get ~45mpg or better. It makes way less sense now.
    I basically had this 2 car fleet for a while. It worked pretty well. A 35 mile freeway commute with no charging at work would give me heartburn.

Range will be iffy for that commute unless you can charge at work. 2011-2012 had worse battery degradation issues. 2013 got a more efficient heater and a more durable battery.

If you can wait for a bit longer, the Bolt may be a better choice. They were getting close to $10k used. But GM has a recall out that has stopped the sale on all lease returns and the used market has dried up. If you can wait for all those lease return Bolts to hit the market, you may end up with a deal on a car with much better range.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post

I I had a similar thought. I’ve been seeing 2013 Leafs around here for $5500-$6000 on CL with 11/12 battery (~65-70 mi range). Drove one and it wasn’t bad for 17 miles each way commute, except seat bottom was way short for my femurs.

Electric car thread

Test driving a Kona tomorrow. Will report back.

Editostponed. Unreliable dealer.
    Last edited by 54-46; 04-28-2021 at 11:03 PM.

If it has enough range for your commute, I think the cheap, used, small electric car is a legit second car option. They are good at what they are good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    If it has enough range for your commute, I think the cheap, used, small electric car is a legit second car option. They are good at what they are good at.
    Imagine someone here at TGR saying that...say, 10 years ago?

Amount of ridicule and Jonging would have been ginormous, like, John Slaughter levels.

Now, just curiosity and slight excitement.

O tempora, o mores!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

We are closing in on the 10 year anniversary of the “everyone gonna be driving an electric car, and your gas car ain’t gonna be worth shit” thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Imagine someone here at TGR saying that...say, 10 years ago?

Amount of ridicule and Jonging would have been ginormous, like, John Slaughter levels.

Now, just curiosity and slight excitement.

O tempora, o mores!
    So sorry to disappoint you. I was here 10 years ago and must have survived by miracle or generosity from superior beings.

I believe that when there is the 1st electric car (most likely it will be Tesla) to cross the 1000-km+ range mark it will be the sign for mass adoption for electric cars, to my mind. Because relatively small range is one of the most considerable drawbacks in electric cars for me at the moment.

Most people don't need nearly as much range in an EV as they think they need.

I’m interested in what’s going to happen at the corporate fleet level... the company I work for has maybe 1000 vehicles on the road as company commuters: Fusions, F150s, and Explorers.

At a certain point it makes economic sense to go to electric... but how do you handle the charging aspect? Install charging stations at all office locations - that doesn’t work for us... commercial construction with jobsite locations changing too often... but the alternative - subsidizing install at employees homes doesn’t seem to make sense either...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA