Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I would be fine, real fine, but my wife and daughters would absolutely not be fine with me stuck in Switzerland for a month or more. Shit, my wife was to be going with me. The kids here with grandpa in the states with mom and dad over seas, oh wait.....
    When were you guys flying out? Have you talked to the airline? We're wondering how they're gonna handle all these forced cancellations

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    When were you guys flying out? Have you talked to the airline? We're wondering how they're gonna handle all these forced cancellations
    We actually pulled the plug a couple months ago so I am of no help man.
    Sorry you’re gonna miss this and have to deal with the airlines. It’s a great time.

Yeah I can't wait

At least we hadn't left yet. I feel so bad for the people that are over there already, that are gonna get fucked by this. Shit, we would've been in the fucking air right now, approaching Zurich, if we had gone with our original plan. ("official" start today, we just changed plans to fly in one day late to save 24 hours of accrued vaca time)
    6:30 AM right now in CH, people are going to be waking up (on the 2nd or 3rd day of their trip) to some really shitty news & probably stressful days ahead. That really sucks

Just read a few articles and than here... what can I say... it’s a hell of a bummer it is a serious metter, but here in CH (except for Ticino) life really goes on as normal, at this point I don’t know what to think anymore

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Quoting from The Guardian:

"The restrictions, which would begin on Friday and last for 30 days, would not apply to US citizens or to travelers from the UK, he said. The restrictions apply to most foreign nationals who have been in the 26 countries of the Schengen area during the 14 days before their planned arrival in the US."

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Quoting from The Guardian:

"The restrictions, which would begin on Friday and last for 30 days, would not apply to US citizens or to travelers from the UK, he said. The restrictions apply to most foreign nationals who have been in the 26 countries of the Schengen area during the 14 days before their planned arrival in the US."
    Quoting from yesterday's Homeland Security press release:

In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.

This is the exact scenario that i was worried about. I would have landed in Stuttgart to the news of the travel restrictions. They haven’t mentioned quarantines for the us citizens upon returning.... yet. Vibes to all affected. Thanks to vendul for being Uber-cool and flexible. I hope you guys make the best of it and come home full of stories. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go buy some more asswipe.

If anybody needs a couch in Zürich to crash on PM me, vibes to anyone who got their trips ruined by this....

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    They haven’t mentioned quarantines for the us citizens upon returning.... yet.
    Pence was quoted saying that Americans returning from Yurp would be subject to 14 day quarantine. Where that would happen has yet to be disclosed, as they have not yet issued the "supplemental notice of Arrivals restrictions"

Quote Originally Posted by FatKidFromFL View Post
    Thanks to vendul for being Uber-cool and flexible.
    Agreed, and while we might individually be taking a bath on this trip, Vedul is losing thousands of dollars from all of the cancellations as a result of this thing, and that REALLY sucks.
    We're hoping that Swiss Air lets us reschedule and we'll be staying at MtLodge if/when that happens, looks like maybe December at this point. Either way, missing this thing is crushing. We've been eagerly anticipating this trip since last fall

Swiss ski resorts are the latest to announce they are closing immediately due to government advice on the fight against the coronavirus.
    https://www.inthesnow.com/ski-resort...zerland-close/

Worst news possible. Hopefully theres still some good touring to be had

Oof

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Agreed, and while we might individually be taking a bath on this trip, Vedul is losing thousands of dollars from all of the cancellations as a result of this thing, and that REALLY sucks.
    Yes, and I honestly think that for all of us who were scheduled to stay at Mtn-Lodge but had to cancel, that we should all pay full price for our dates, to help vendul get through this. We can always figure out if we can redeem them later, though personally, even if I don't, it doesn't matter to me.

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Yes, and I honestly think that for all of us who were scheduled to stay at Mtn-Lodge but had to cancel, that we should all pay full price for our dates, to help vendul get through this. We can always figure out if we can redeem them later, though personally, even if I don't, it doesn't matter to me.
    I thought you were already over there, no?
    Never mind I just read your response in another thread

Well we were able to get a "free" reschedule of our flight (for only $900 more!) so it looks like we'll be staying at Mtn-Lodge this December, instead of tomorrow through next friday. So I guess we're just "postponing" our trip (to a time when there will be no snow, no mags, and no BBI shenanigans )

Fuckin' A. Vibes to both travelers and the amazing owners of MtLodge.

Hope all of you that made it brought touring gear.

Switzerland just closed major ski resorts. They also drastically constrained inbounds travel

https://www.skiarena.ch/de/newsueber...-informationen

Question is...can the farmer lift to Piz Mahler still operate? Does vendul have enough booze on hand?

Trains are a way of life over there, wonder how long before they shut them down?
    Piz farmer lift laps sound amazing....

I always thought it would be kind of cool to jet off to Paris (or some other city) eat dinner, then fly back. Well, just had the most expensive cup of coffee and pain at chocolate Evah! Not really fun crossing the Atlantic twice in 24 hrs.

Landed in Paris Thursday morning, learned about the ban (my flight had departed before the big reveal and we did not have WiFi); was not be able to get any assistance/clarity at the airport if this affected all Americans since they had no idea what was happening but got some info from friends back here and folks already there in Sedrun; made the decision to not risk it; changed my ticket and was on a flight back out in about 2 hrs. Since we had no WiFi, were all shocked when we arrived at CDG. The pilots and flight attendants had no information either. I was really torn on whether or not to go on to Zurich, but in the end, with all the closures, it was probably the right decision to fly back. The photos everyone there have been posting make me really sad.

Got back to my house around 3pm this afternoon after getting about 5 hrs sleep at a hotel last night in SLC. Got there around 2 am. My suitcase is currently MIA. Hoping I can claim trip interruption since I did start the trip, but I doubt it. Nothing in it that can’t be replaced easily, just a pain.

I feel horrible for all the businesses and livelihoods impacted by this. Already planning on next year, actually making it there and skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    made the decision to not risk it; changed my ticket and was on a flight back out in about 2 hrs. I was really torn on whether or not to go on to Zurich, but in the end, with all the closures, it was probably the right decision to fly back.
    How much did the ticket change to get back cost you? Tri-ungulate posted above that it was a $2,000 ONE WAY flight to return.. I'd have to say you made the right decision as well, considering that Ski Arena just closed down for the season and who knows what getting back into the country will look like in a week or so

Huh, they didn’t charge me anything. I just went to the ticket desk, told them I wanted to travel back back bc of Trumps ban and the nice lady gave me my options and changed it. I was on Delta. I’m going to email them and asked if I can get a credit for the “unused” portion of the ticket..

Since Switzerland is part of the Schengen area, the screening requirements will apply, This is the crazy part and I don’t understand how it will be implemented - According to the Department of Homeland Security, Americans who are traveling back from the Schengen area will be rerouted "to travel through select airports where the U.S. government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”. How are they going to do that???

Glad you got the return ticket so smoothly, I had to panic buy my ticket using my phone app because we were in Klosters and there was absolutely no way we were gonna get through to a live person on the phone, with wait times estimated at 6 hours.

I did get ahold of them today to refund the original part of my roundtrip flight back (I figure the $2K one-way flight from Zurich is not gonna be refunded), was on hold for over an hour, and then they said they'd "look into it".

As for the DHS edict, it seems like BS at least for now. The administration can't tie its shoelaces correctly, based on how they've mismanaged thus far.

Glad you got the return ticket so smoothly, I had to panic buy my ticket using my phone app because we were in Klosters and there was absolutely no way we were gonna get through to a live person on the phone, with wait times estimated at 6 hours.

I did get ahold of them today to refund the original part of my roundtrip flight back (I figure the $2K one-way flight from Zurich is not gonna be refunded), was on hold for over an hour, and then they said they'd "look into it".

As for the DHS edict, it seems like BS at least for now. The administration can't tie its shoelaces correctly, based on how they've mismanaged thus far.
    It’s a complete cluster. My friend that was going to meet me there was about to board her flight, when our other friend that was traveling out Saturday called her from a Blackhawks game and told her not to get on the flight. They were trying to reach me so I could make a plan. They didn’t even ask me if I’d been anywhere when I came back in so there is no screening at all. I will probably be patient zero for our little neighborhood just from being on a plane for about 24 hrs.

Well, based on the WhatsApp chatter, at least the stalwarts had a good day yesterday, rallied to vendul's and are scheming up plans for touring around Disentis. Good on 'em, and I'm raising a beer to the crew in the Mtn-Lodge Sedrun bar from my self quarantine.

Well, based on the WhatsApp chatter, at least the stalwarts had a good day yesterday, rallied to vendul's and are scheming up plans for touring around Disentis. Good on 'em, and I'm raising a beer to the crew in the Mtn-Lodge Sedrun bar from my self quarantine.
    That’s good to hear. Hope they are able to get out and get some! Maybe someone will drop some pics here soon.