Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    pow
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post
    But google isn't updated, there's a bunch of lifts missing here
    again, not saying im interested in this area specifically....i just zoomed in and saw lots of lifts....everywhere...lots of this throughout a bigger footprint...just like wow....only reason some lifts are probably not shown in what i posted is because i didnt keep zooming in closer
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

������ 100% pow, 0%the Rest?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums
    pretty much. im willing to wait it out, hike, skin, crawl for it...
    i quit drinking a few years back so apres not really my thing...not that i wouldnt have a beer or two with friends and mags ....not a big foodie either...im also not really the type for a dinner jacket and a special reserve wine.....ive spent a tremendous amount of time alone, and a lot of it in the last decade+ in the mountains..the solitude/reflection factor is good for me.....
    the idea of being in a line of 20 skiers following tracks is not on the top of my list.... i have liked breaking trail, but that is in zones that i have reasonable knowledge of.....im totally out of my element in a place like eurp....language, terrain, hidden obstacles, etc.... i tend to tread very lightly when in the unknown and still stay reserved in places i think im familiar with , keeps/kept me alive...

i know im asking tons of questions...so when i type that i dont like structure, rules, etc, i kinda laugh to myself....bothers me i cant take my wari or abs, plb, etc...would have to rent or buy something...just tools that im used to having...wont have...i guess..
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Everything on this map is included in the SkiArena Andermatt-Disentis pass. Including the train between them.

Attachment 295888
    cool thank for that 411 !
    www.freeridesystems.com

I‘ll PM you with some infos

Actually not, give me 1/2 hour here and I’ll try to give some infos

Actually not, give me 1/2 hour here and I’ll try to give some infos

copy that, thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com

pretty much. im willing to wait it out, hike, skin, crawl for it...
    i quit drinking a few years back so apres not really my thing...not that i wouldnt have a beer or two with friends and mags ....not a big foodie either...im also not really the type for a dinner jacket and a special reserve wine.....ive spent a tremendous amount of time alone, and a lot of it in the last decade+ in the mountains..the solitude/reflection factor is good for me.....
    the idea of being in a line of 20 skiers following tracks is not on the top of my list.... i have liked breaking trail, but that is in zones that i have reasonable knowledge of.....im totally out of my element in a place like eurp....language, terrain, hidden obstacles, etc.... i tend to tread very lightly when in the unknown and still stay reserved in places i think im familiar with , keeps/kept me alive...

i know im asking tons of questions...so when i type that i dont like structure, rules, etc, i kinda laugh to myself....bothers me i cant take my wari or abs, plb, etc...would have to rent or buy something...just tools that im used to having...wont have...i guess..
    Go to Euro. Follow Buster. The first time is getting the hang of it all, and recognizing how you want to go back to get after it. It's the equivalent of going out West after skiing the East coast your whole life and expecting to throw down.

Go on guided days with Dan. Dan fucking hates crossing other peoples tracks.

^good advice, thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

If I had a month in Europe skiing, I’d spend 2 weeks at Venduls and bookend both sides of the trip with a week somewhere else based on what the weather is doing at each end of the trip.

St. Moritz had amazing skiing so I’d probably go back there and maybe go check out the dolemites or something in Italy or go north to Germany/Austria.

I’d just travel light and get a rail pass, rather than deal with a car.

I’d love to join, but realistically won’t be able to confirm my schedule and availability until late January. Are there likely to be rooms still available at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    If I had a month in Europe skiing, I’d spend 2 weeks at Venduls and bookend both sides of the trip with a week somewhere else based on what the weather is doing at each end of the trip.

St. Moritz had amazing skiing so I’d probably go back there and maybe go check out the dolemites or something in Italy or go north to Germany/Austria.

I’d just travel light and get a rail pass, rather than deal with a car.
    good ideas ..thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com

If you are planning a month in Europe and really want to chase pow just rent a car, drive over here, sit down with me for 5 hours, get all the info and then start chasing... but in my opinion it is a bit restrictive.
    From what you tell me you are looking for some hard core vacation, than I would skip most of the spots on everybody radar like Engelberg, St.Anton and Verbier...
    Hit places like:
    Pitztal, Kaunertal, Zinal, they all get their snow from the north
    Tonale Pass, Engadin, Bormio+Santa Caterina get snow from the south.
    These are resorts that are not about social skiing, they are Silverton's European counterpart, you can hit good lines without the the stress ( Engadin is so snobbish that most free riders avoid it, leaving some very good skiing to be found).
    I would avoid east Austria, France and Piemonte, not because they are not nice spots( there is some great skiing there too) , just because a bit too far from each other
    I haven't included Andermatt-Sedrun 'cause it would be too obvious... but I hope you would join us for the BBi anyhow... I'm sure you wouldn't regret it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I’d love to join, but realistically won’t be able to confirm my schedule and availability until late January. Are there likely to be rooms still available at that point?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You won't find a single room, but if you are up to share a room, I'm sure we'll find a solution

If you are planning a month in Europe and really want to chase pow just rent a car, drive over here, sit down with me for 5 hours, get all the info and then start chasing... but in my opinion it is a bit restrictive.
    From what you tell me you are looking for some hard core vacation, than I would skip most of the spots on everybody radar like Engelberg, St.Anton and Verbier...
    Hit places like:
    Pitztal, Kaunertal, Zinal, they all get their snow from the north
    Tonale Pass, Engadin, Bormio+Santa Caterina get snow from the south.
    These are resorts that are not about social skiing, they are Silverton's European counterpart, you can hit good lines without the the stress ( Engadin is so snobbish that most free riders avoid it, leaving some very good skiing to be found).
    I would avoid east Austria, France and Piemonte, not because are not nice spots, just because a bit too far from each other
    I haven't included Andermatt-Sedrun 'cause it would be too obvious... but I hope you would join us for the BBi anyhow... I'm sure you wouldn't regret it!!!!
    great 411 thanks,,,im not looking at like a skimo vacation or only steepshooting...just fewer tourons and fur and people if possible..sounds like eurp has plenty of that available..and thats what attracts me to it...
    you know it, if im in eurp.... im going to be stayin at mt lodge and hammin it up with fellow mags during the bbi without question...
    www.freeridesystems.com

If you get here by the 11th and stay with us trough the 18 you’ll already have three major ski areas covered, after you can move west or east depending on conditions... if you would do “only 15 days” than just hop on Busters train... but if you can stay longer there’s no need to rush

i realize im asking jong city quesitons.....but in eurp jong/noob.....trying to get very topical understanding.... i see all these lift systems spread out all over the place (in red) is there a pass that covers them all? or at least many of them that are in a general geographic area?

Attachment 295884
    most of what's in your picture is this area: https://www.montafon.at/en/mountain-.../ski-snowboard

There's an occasionally posting mag who married an Austrian gal who lives there, but I can't remember is handle.

But, in general, most Euro areas have a pass that includes several adjacent areas, or you can just buy a local ticket. There's definitely a learning curve to figuring out how to organize a trip over there though. It just works a bit different than here. Doebe...'s advice above to follow Buster for your first trip is a good one, and LWS hits on another for Europe: just buy a plane ticket and figure out the rest a few days in advance based on conditions. Conditions can vary dramatically from one side of the Alps to the other (similar to say Taos vs. Fernie in a given year). Outside of the week between Christmas and New Year's and the winter break (usually a week or 2 in February) in whatever country you are in, so long as you don't have your heart set on specific accommodations, you can always find a reasonable place to sleep and eat.

^^ all great beta from you both, thank you....im workin through the details...i have enough airline miles to get me there free...depending on how cramped up im willing to be and number of legs to use my miles....so that is in favor of this trip for me...
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    most of what's in your picture is this area: https://www.montafon.at/en/mountain-.../ski-snowboard

There's an occasionally posting mag who married an Austrian gal who lives there, but I can't remember is handle.

But, in general, most Euro areas have a pass that includes several adjacent areas, or you can just buy a local ticket. There's definitely a learning curve to figuring out how to organize a trip over there though. It just works a bit different than here. Doebe...'s advice above to follow Buster for your first trip is a good one, and LWS hits on another for Europe: just buy a plane ticket and figure out the rest a few days in advance based on conditions. Conditions can vary dramatically from one side of the Alps to the other (similar to say Taos vs. Fernie in a given year). Outside of the week between Christmas and New Year's and the winter break (usually a week or 2 in February) in whatever country you are in, so long as you don't have your heart set on specific accommodations, you can always find a reasonable place to sleep and eat.
    JRainey I think it's the mag you're thinking of

Some basics I learned from one trip to CH:

1. Most people speak English and are friendly and helpful. Learn a couple of greetings for being courteous to strangers and call it good... there is no real language barrier. The only time I used my limited foreign language skills was in the elevator at the summit of the Titlis talking with Spanish tourists.

2. Some resorts sell tickets on a flexible rate, where the earlier you buy the cheaper. SkiArena Andermatt-Disentis is one of them. Most other places have fixed rates.

3. Rail travel is easy and comfortable. Get the SBB app and don't sweat it... but study the stops where you transfer lines because there can be very little time to get your ass into the next train. For example, coming from Zurich there's a line transfer in Chur between the SBB (Schweitzerische Bundesbahnen) and the Rhätische Bahn that leaves you with like 4 minutes. Then in Disentis you transfer onto the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn... etc. But if you stick around in a location that is serviced by a single rail line, like the entirety of the SkiArena, you only need to think about a single timetable and it's easy as fuck.

3a. More on trains. There are multiple train types. You're likely to see IC, ICE, IR, R, RE, S on schedules and readerboards. These denote flavors of regional and high speed lines, which is handy when deciding between options if you have them... but in the mountains you get mostly R lines which stop at every station. Read about the differences, know what type you're boarding, take a double decker express train for fun if you can.

4. Gear. Next time I'll take two skis in one bag/case, one pr boots. Pow or big mtn skis with metal clamps and CAST or similar (for the occasional short shuffle out to a line or for emergencies) plus light dedicated touring skis. While the lift systems are huge and are well suited to lappage in heavy gear, there's a shitload of very accessible very appealing touring options that I'd like to explore as well, weather permitting. Traverses, hut trips, train hopping tours, and stuff off the top of various lifts. This of course relies on a secure place to stash the unused pair for perhaps days at a time. Vendul's place is a damn good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Some basics I learned from one trip to CH:

4. Gear. Next time I'll take two skis in one bag/case, one pr boots. Pow or big mtn skis with metal clamps and CAST or similar (for the occasional short shuffle out to a line or for emergencies) plus light dedicated touring skis. While the lift systems are huge and are well suited to lappage in heavy gear, there's a shitload of very accessible very appealing touring options that I'd like to explore as well, weather permitting. Traverses, hut trips, train hopping tours, and stuff off the top of various lifts. This of course relies on a secure place to stash the unused pair for perhaps days at a time. Vendul's place is a damn good spot.
    This is similar to what I did. I think I may have been the only one there last year who brought over 2 setups but I’m glad I did. It was a bit more of a hassle traveling, but it was nice to have full alpine gear for the 90% of the time I was on lifts. And I am pretty if I’d have had to deal with the hassle of renting a touring setup I’d have skipped out on 2 primo tours.

We did have a car though, so didn’t have to worry about extra gear on trains.

Vendul, how quickly are your rooms filling up?

To saturate one's dreams with 64 bit deep hypervirtual Euro ski madness, study this (click the winter tab, pick a country and trip out) : https://www.bergfex.com/ .

In general, I'd rather avoid the destination resorts with the pretty people. Andermatt used to be a classic ski bum dump with cheap digs and eats and loads of great skiing. Since Sawaris started the Andermatt-Disentis development, it's changing but the skiing is still raw and mad there. You could make a winter out of the Swiss farmers lifts too and little places like Biel Kinzig in CH where it's cheap, unadorned, sometimes primitive, sometimes bad snow.

The weird Alps thing is at the fancy places like St. Moritz or Davos, the pretty people stay on the groomers and there are acres and acres of killer skiing with incredible infrastructure supported by the Bogner bearing Versace encrusted Hermes bagged sn00terati. And the train system is fantastic with pickups from tours all over the place. Not to mention the ski racks.

I've only skied a little in Austria, a little in Italy, some in Switzerland and a bunch in France.

France has a ton of dirtbag places, some of which are huDge, others obscure grottos where it appears that inbreeding may be the preferred winter sport.

Anyway, my favorites are Andermatt-Disentis, La Grave, Serre Chevalier, Puy St. Vincent, The Maurienne (Val Frejus, Val Cenis), The Milky Way (Montgenevre, Claviere, San Sicario, Saulx d'Oulx, Sestriere) and Alagna.

They're all different and each has attributes and detriments.

The nice thing about Andermatt is how well put together it is with ease of transport from one amazing ski zone to another. You don't see the ice ax, carabiner and harness bunch there, it's more just good ripping around skiing, some of which is nutz, but most of which is just solid steep skiing. Similarly with Disentis. It's the best place to start feeling out the Alps and lots of people speak English. venduls hotel is perfectly situated to access either Disentis or Andermatt as well as the unknown sugar stashes in between.

France in general is more challenging because the transportation isn't as integrated as Switzerland. Italy is worse. There can be more language barrier there too. But the French ski areas are amazing without even mentioning Chamonix, like Vars-Risoul, Val d'Isere/Tignes, Trois Vallees or Les Arcs/La Plagne/Paradiski.

If you're into touring and willing to risk some crappy snow with a chance of an ethereal event of a lifetime, go to Alagna. Their snow is spotty and most of the obvious slopes are south facing. But if it's high pressure, you can explore from Alagna to Gressoney and over to Champoluc, a massive interconnect with over 2000 meters of vertical drop, Italian coffee and the Monte Rosa spreading out above with the biggest couloirs in the Alps (The Tyndall and Maranelli couloirs down to Macugnaga). It's hard to get to, at a dead end road with limited amenities and not much shopping. But if it dumps, there's an unbelievable amount to ski.

A couple places I'd like to go, but have passed by are the Queyras, down by Serre Chevalier and Briancon, a pod of 4 1000 meter vertical places completely off the map with a bunch of refuges. Then there's Vent in Austria between Obergurgl and Pitztaler which is more of a climbing base with a couple of pomas serving the lower portion of a massive cirque. I stayed in Bad Gastein and like it a lot too, walked around, soaked in the hot springs and the sticky film of aged ski bumistry. I've also wanted to get over to Bormio/Livigno/Santa Caterina which are a couple hours drive from St. Moritz.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Okay, since Japow is out for me this year, I'm in. Plus, I owe Vendul from last year and wanted to pay up in person. Sorry guys, another year of having a fucking telemarker to slow you all down

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Okay, since Japow is out for me this year, I'm in. Plus, I owe Vendul from last year and wanted to pay up in person. Sorry guys, another year of having a fucking telemarker to slow you all down
    It was a blast skiing with you last year, man. Broken bindings and all.

Name:  Mappa ski.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  43.0 KB
    This is the map of the major ski resorts within 2.5 hrs from the Lodge.
    My plan might shift lightly one day before or after depending on attendance, here it is:
    - 3.12 Davos
    - 3.13 Lenzerheide
    - 3.14 SkiArena
    - 3.14 SkiArena
    - 3.15 SkiArena
    - 3.16 DanDay!!!
    - 3.17 SkiArena
    - 3.18 AletschArena
    - 3.19 SkiArena
    - 3.20 SkiArena
    Now, I'm planning Davos or Lenzerheide not both, depending on attendance, but if everybody will want to do both.... well I'll have to satisfy our guests expectations...:-)
    Where I wrote SkiArena, as many of you already know, that means Andermatt, Sedrun and Disentis will probably do a day in each and than depending on conditions each one of you can either go back to his favorite mountain or explore the other resorts within one hr from the lodge: Brigls, Obersaxen and Flims.
    Food and after skiing activities, will be planned as the BBi Approaches!!!
    Two thumbs up for Flowing Alpy and Buster!!! thanks again
    @Alias.. there's a lot of interest and there are already a few rooms booked, but don't worry, we'll find you a room any time...;-)

^^^ very cool! I'm with you only from 10th to 15th but am up for a mini road trip for sure.