Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    http://www.leelau.net/2020/Swissskia...andermatt.html

Myself and my wife Sharon are going to Switzerland; Andermatt-Sedrun-Disentis area (basing in Rueras with mt-lodge.com) from March 24 - April 2; then Bernese Oberland (basing in Murren) April 3 - 8; then open days from April 10 - 13.

Full disclosure is that this is a trip supported by Tourism Switzerland, Tourism Sedrun-Disentis and Valais Tourism. The seeds of this were planted from looking at the pictures from the first BBI last year which then sparked us to accept Tourism Switzerland's invitation to not just travel for biking in summer but also to profile some skiing areas for winter.

The story on this will run in snowbrains.com and newschoolers.com but lots of information and trip-preparation knowledge came not just from our personal experiences travelling in Switzerland (although in summer) but from the TGR forums (BBI threads, "Snow for the Euro"; various Andermatt threads and TRs.

So to show some measure of appreciation I've tried to cobble together and organize some distilled wisdom from all these threads + other research I've done (mostly on mapping, touring routes etc) I put together this webpage in the link above. It's very much a work in progress and needs a lot of formatting and presentation cleanup particularly in the mapping which needs to be marked. I've tried to attribute where I got a lot of information from one person (Buster, carvehard, vendul and Norseman in particular)

I'll also be marking up and abstracting some info from pay-for sites (eg wepowder) and will put in some samples in the page but I don't want to take too much of their info as it's unfair to the site. The goal is for the information above will form the basis for a one-stop How to ski the SkiArena resorts and access off-piste. Much of it will promote the idea of using vendul's mt-lodge as a central base for exploration; I doubt anyone who posts much to these forums will object to it since vendul is the one who's laying out what is his home as a base for TGR.

Long and short of it is that I'll keep adding to the link above. Please note I'm not trying to grab clicks or spam my site (it's a buried private link) or spam mt-lodge or whatever. It's just the most convenient way for me to grab info and present it particularly since much of it is in big panoramic pictures. Let me know if there's more stuff to add or if I'm making big errors.

I feel odd.

Lee, you already copied our content for your benefit without asking first? This is weird.

Admittedly, vendul asked me to help, but everything I did was original and mostly done for the love and stoke.

Do I get any lift tickets or lodging or food or guiding for my work or content?
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 03-06-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Can you please write up engelberg or something instead of sedrun?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Can you please write up engelberg or something instead of sedrun?
    I will be writing up Bern next. If you need an Engelberg writeup there's a lot of information about it and you should feel free to put it all together. Good luck!

Hmm.

Lee, I respect your standing in the industry and history on the various boards, but to be honest I'm a bit upset that you copy/pasted my words and photos without asking permission.

I used to put (c) markings on them... might again.

Yes, anyone can read the public threads where this information was compiled, and the places we visited are not exactly secrets... but I would rather have those memories fade away in a thread of organic banter between ski friends than be written up in a sharp guidebook/site for Jerry Tourist to trustingly follow.

I have a few hundred nice photos that I have been sitting on since last year because I wanted to honor the quietude and quality that I experienced, and felt that writing a huge TR would betray that a bit.

The experience was special because we mostly carved it out on our own.

In my opinion, it feels like a bit of a drag for you to personally profit from a few friends' documentation of a ski adventure. The promise of a shiny guidebook writeup on top of that - sure to change the experience in the place forevermore - makes it even less appealing.

Respectfully,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hmm.

Lee, I respect your standing in the industry and history on the various boards, but to be honest I'm a bit upset that you copy/pasted my words and photos without asking permission.

Yes, anyone can read the public threads where this information was compiled, and the places we visited are not exactly secrets... but I would rather have those memories fade away in a thread of organic banter between ski friends than be written up in a sharp guidebook/site for Jerry Tourist to trustingly follow.

I have a few hundred nice photos that I have been sitting on since last year because I wanted to honor the quietude and quality that I experienced, and felt that writing a huge TR would betray that a bit.

In my opinion, it feels like a bit of a drag for you to personally profit from a few friends' documentation of a ski adventure. The promise of a shiny guidebook writeup on top of that - sure to change the experience in the place forevermore - makes it even less appealing.

Respectfully,
    S
    Norseman. No problem and thanks for pointing that out. I had intended to us your pics as placeholders so that whoever is going on this BBI can see it. I had intended to take my own pics and not poach yours ( which is the wrong thing to do). As someone who's had his pics ripped off I truly appreciate you pointing this out. I'd never intended this non-public link to be anything more than a work-in-progress placeholder just to accumulate information for others viewing this thread for the convenience of all. If the general consensus is that this is a bad thing then I'll happily take it down.

Removed your pics from the link

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hmm.

Respectfully,
    S
    Wow, extremely poor form Lee. I assumed you were more of a stand up guy from what I have read here as well as other formats. Very disappointed. Money and recognition make people do strange things that they wouldn’t normally do.
    As others have stated, please do a write up of another area of Switzerland. This area obviously holds a special place in the hearts of many here as it’s not the giant advertised mega jerry/iconic place like so many others.
    You could have also not crapped in this thread, but here we are.

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

Our posts crossed paths. Glad you recognized that.

Big time apologies necessary on my side. I'm truly sorry for this and appreciate the call-out. I never looked at it the way that you looked at it. Please understand that vendul had nothing to do with my misplaced idea.

Tourism had been trying to get me interested in going to Switzerland. But I knew very little about specifically where to go. After edit - the TRs about the BBI - edit , reading about Andermatt, and the region and how they are cooperatively to support tourism I thought it would be good to go there and check it out myself.

It was not my intent to "steal" ideas, words, pics from people like Buster, carvehard, Norseman etc. However, to research where to go and the information around these places I did rely on information from the forums, and from other sources.

In my non-thinking state I was trying to organize this information which I put in the website link. Now that you've all put in your comments I can see your point of view and that I abused the forum and you guys. And for that I am sorry and should have put more thought into it.

I've learned a lot of stuff (tech, places to go, things to do) from the forum. I've tried to give back by putting out information too. I hope my history of giving back somewhat counterweights my heavy-handed unthinking behaviour. My only excuse is that I was pretty stoked by the pics, the info and the beauty of the region. And that resulted in my unthinking

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I feel odd.

Lee, you already copied our content for your benefit without asking first? This is weird.

Admittedly, vendul asked me to help, but everything I did was original and mostly done for the love and stoke.

Do I get any lift tickets or lodging or food or guiding for my work or content?
    Buster - I apologize. I was not thinking. I've killed the link. I abused your trust in posting stuff to the forum and that was wrong on my part

On the one hand, this is the highest compliment from one of the most revered and august members of the board.

After all, isn't imitation the most exalted form of flattery?

You may atone in lift tickets and breaking trail.

;-)

Solid Lee, it sure seemed out of character for you.

On the one hand, this is the highest compliment from one of the most revered and august members of the board.

After all, isn't imitation the most exalted form of flattery?

You may atone in lift tickets and breaking trail.

;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Solid Lee, it sure seemed out of character for you.
    Thanks Gents. I got excited. What I did wasn't right. Appreciate the call out and to make me rethink the way I did things there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I got excited.
    Just wait until you get the sense of Andermatt/Disentis!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks Gents. I got excited. What I did wasn't right. Appreciate the call out and to make me rethink the way I did things there.
    It’s all good and understandable.
    Just wait until you get the sense of Andermatt/Disentis!
    Yeah, this...

A big reason for going to Disentis is to get away from the American tourist crowds.

I went this summer and it was amazing but precisely because it wasn't ruined by Americans. Most folks we met were surprised that we were there and curious about how we found out about the area.

So pimping on Newschoolers/Snowbrains kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    A big reason for going to Disentis is to get away from the American tourist crowds.

I went this summer and it was amazing but precisely because it wasn't ruined by Americans. Most folks we met were surprised that we were there and curious about how we found out about the area.

So pimping on Newschoolers/Snowbrains kinda sucks.
    tgr's no better, bunch of wasted yank miscreants soiling their snow. so I'm guilty as charged.

My snow. It's All mine. Don't you ever forget that!
    Edit: this came across weird. I'll put a in.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

tgr's no better, bunch of wasted panglobal miscreants soiling their snow. so I'm guilty as charged.
    OK, fify

safe travels and may the snow be with you.

you rollers may want skip the morning a la carte european breakfasts.

have not been on snow since early feb and not looking promising going forward.

got plane tix (insured), but not going to roll, still holding off on canceling, shame. going to check family and friends. had loose itinerary and planned on swinging through sedrun at some point. next time.

if anybody is swinging by simplon pass, near brig headed south to italy, may want to scope that place out for ski touring. i pretty sure it is the best 'drive up and ski tour location' i have seen. it had a ton of snow early jan. the access, routes, and various aspects looked awesome. check it on a topo and sat map.

maybe leelau can divert some of his attention to there as he is a savvy backcountry hound. don't think guide info could hurt that place. i am considering doing some training somewhere out there maybe next year, tbd.

chur was also super cool, chill, and had night life, plus had a metal bar. really want to check that area out more.

also, if you have the chance to hit a storm on a weekday at engleberg, do it. one of the best lift serve off piste places if have seen.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yo shameless industry hoe
    pimp your own marginal shit
    and hook up buster
    he deserves it more than you
    the spirit of the bbi isn't to profit from others
    or enhance other shitty forums
    its to hook up others and share within this community
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

reminds of why I hate powder project. Next stash that appears there will result in a death warrant

On the train to St Anton to meet nordkette. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	319300

EuroBBI 2020, March 12-20 @mtlodge-sedrun

Hell yes!

So jealous...!

Welcome back!!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums