Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    What city on the East Coast are you trying from? Are you flexible on your dates at all?

If you fly out of Philadelphia on the 12th, you can get one of them $580 flights.
    Is that a direct flight though? I can get a 1 stop flight for $450 right now, flying out of Boston. Have the option of flying out of JFK or LGA, but that would necessitate a 5 hour drive to NYC, and parking for 8 days, which would pretty much eliminate any financial benefit of finding a cheaper NYC flight. (and add considerable travel stress with a drive into NYC before a long international flight)

Pretty much have to leave on the 13th due to work schedules (could also leave on the 14th but thats a Saturday and flights are higher) and return on either the 20 or 21st.

Regarding insurance:
    I don't know anyone here in Austria that is out and about in the mountains that hasn't got an alpine club membership. Luckily only one of my friends has ever needed a heli lift after a major wipeout and the €25.000 more than covered everything. I have no experience with swiss insurance / rescue costs. It was my understanding that the different european alpine clubs have similar deals, although the german one seems to be only for members with a permanent residency in germany and austria.
    Here's the info for the austrian one in english: https://www.alpenverein.at/portal/se...-worldwide.php

The UK branch of the Austrian Mountain Club membership is open to people living overseas and has lots of helpful information in a language I'm more fluent in. I assume its exactly the same insurance policy linked above as its from the same organization:
    https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance

Glad to hear the 25,000 Euro Heli limit is adequate. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    The UK branch of the Austrian Mountain Club membership is open to people living overseas and has lots of helpful information in a language I'm more fluent in. I assume its exactly the same insurance policy linked above as its from the same organization:
    https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance

Glad to hear the 25,000 Euro Heli limit is adequate. Thanks.
    Yeah, that's the same insurance. I have to add that the 25.000€ was enough in Tirol, I can't speak for costs in Switzerland. It seems surprisingly hard to find out about the actual costs that can come from a Heli rescue without insurance. Well in the 10 mins googling I just did.

rega is what the swiss do: https://www.rega.ch/en/rega-patron/b...lect-patronage

seems like 30 bucks cover you for almost two winters.

Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    Yeah, that's the same insurance. I have to add that the 25.000€ was enough in Tirol, I can't speak for costs in Switzerland. It seems surprisingly hard to find out about the actual costs that can come from a Heli rescue without insurance. Well in the 10 mins googling I just did.
    Depends on the circumstances. There was an incident many years ago when several snowboarders got stranded during a storm in france. Took 3 or 4 day of search flights during breaks in the storm before they could be lifted out. The final bill was huge and they each got charged many tens of thousands of eurus. Point is that it might not always be a simple one flight in/out.

Sorry for the imprecise details but couldn't find the orig article online.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Yurp is getting pounded with snow, lots of big lines are filling in and EuroBBI2020 is coming up.

I've got a few options set up for guiding around Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena and I'd like to avoid my mistake of last year of not being more dogmatic about this.

So I've set up a poll about some guided options there.

Please think about this a bunch before deciding and be ready to commit.

Please also bear in mind that the Monday option may be burly with exposure, so only those with solid skills should sign up for this.

Those interested in the Friday option should reserve online via the link provided.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...uiding-Options
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

In our 5 days of touring, only one day went by without Dan saying:

"I think this goes. But if not, I brought a rope and you all brought harnesses."

But seriously, Dan's a great guide. He will go to great length to ski good snow above all else.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 12-24-2019 at 04:03 PM.

"Burly with exposure?" I may need to reconsider. Lets talk about it in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    "Burly with exposure?" I may need to reconsider. Lets talk about it in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    this for me too. Buster, as a result, I answered the poll as a "No". If you get enough interest to justify 2 groups, maybe Foggy and I head up a little less burly and a lot less exposed group? Just food for thought. I'm happy to skin, but I don't have a climbing harness or climbing experience, so elected to opt out for now.

I actually woulda voted for "burly w/exposure", but I'm not gonna be there the 16th, headed to Paris that morning. If you move it to Sunday the 15th, I'm definitely in.

I also noticed that on vendul's website a couple of the promo pics are rife with mags from last year's event! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    I actually woulda voted for "burly w/exposure", but I'm not gonna be there the 16th, headed to Paris that morning. If you move it to Sunday the 15th, I'm definitely in.
    Can't, Dan is only available the 16th and 17th.

I also noticed that on vendul's website a couple of the promo pics are rife with mags from last year's event! Awesome!
    I haven't gotten blackmailed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Hah! What are you drinking tonight Norse?

speaking of exposures....

well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    speaking of exposures....

I've seen that before a couple times...

Is any plan to go elsewhere still? France etc? I'm forming a tentative plan, birthday skiing with mags last year was pretty fun. Worth a stretch to do it again

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-02_09-38-52.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	307920

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Hah! What are you drinking tonight Norse?
    Deschutes IPAyyys and Malbec

,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-12-27_10-33-51.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	307921

,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-12-27_10-42-44.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	307922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-12-27_10-42-09.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	307923

For the half price card, does anyone know where you can pick up the physical tickets once you make an online order?

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-11-02_09-38-52.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	307920
    So. Much. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    For the half price card, does anyone know where you can pick up the physical tickets once you make an online order?
    There's ticket offices at Disentis (2 km via train to the East), at Sedrun (.5 km to the East via train) and at Dieni (1 km via train to the West) as well as at the base of the Gemsstock tram.
    vendul may have more information, you can pm him. subtle plague also has a card and may pipe up tomorrow.

Step 1: Plane tickets. Check!
    Step 2: Book room at Vendul's (waiting till tomorrow for the new CC billing period)
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit! (in pow)

I'm officially IN boys so see ya March 14th (earliest we could fly in due to work commitments). Not flying out till the 21st so will be staying one extra day to make up for it

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Step 1: Plane tickets. Check!
    Step 2: Book room at Vendul's (waiting till tomorrow for the new CC billing period)
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit! (in pow)

I'm officially IN boys so see ya March 14th (earliest we could fly in due to work commitments). Not flying out till the 21st so will be staying one extra day to make up for it
    Look forward to meeting you. I plan to arrive Disentis late on the 13th and ski there the 14th-17th, so I'll warm it up for you.

Also maybe a bump for Subtle Plague to clue us in on the workings of the half fare card.