Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Ugly, but works just fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B099ACF7-6C4B-4A60-86C6-4F3049711356_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	600.2 KB 
ID:	450767

Have the cutout in the blocks for edge work, coated with silicone to get some gription while scraping wax

Quote Originally Posted by metalltrilogy View Post
    Quick and dirty. 2x6 2x4 2x2 1x2 1.25" dowel and some bike tube. Could use different stuff but that's what I had on hand, I'll use it till it breaks and then build a nice one.

Attachment 436807

Attachment 436808
    I just found out about the eggbar vice today and came looking for this thread. Looks like an interesting concept, going to try and make one myself too

Added something I’ve wanted for a while. In bench ventilation, will pull air from below the ski and exhaust outside.

Name:	IMG_4696.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	452953

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Work well? Do you get scrapings into the collection duct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

Unsure, no doubt wax will find it’s why there but I can run a vacuum in the return and get all the big flakes. It has a nice subtle draft which I like!

That pretty cool ^^ my buddy plumbed an ugly old kitchen range hood from thedump to the outside for his basement wax setup

re: the cutouts in the blocks, if you make the cutouts narrow enough the ski can not move
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That pretty cool ^^ my buddy plumbed an ugly old kitchen range hood from thedump to the outside for his basement wax setup

re: the cutouts in the blocks, if you make the cutouts narrow enough the ski can not move
    Ha, I actually was looking at hoods today but sucking air up past my face was something I wanted to try and avoid. I’m pulling like 200 CFMs right now. Just found a more powerful in-line fan to get 500 CFMs so that is ordered.

Ooh good call, I’m actually looking at putting a wider top on the whole table to facilitate a bit more space so I will be rethinking those clamps.

The hood my buddy used was reclaimed form the dump, almond or bronze probably from the 70's ... way ugly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Extra points for reclaimed and ugly.
    watch out for snakes

The size and complexity of your home tuning set up should be directly proportional to the number of days you put on each pair of skis per year..

Unfortunately, I'm down to a large tackle box with files, p-tex, bits, pozi drives, soldering iron, wax, stones, etc. No need for a dedicated tuning bench when I ski less than 10 days a season on a quiver of 10+ skis.

Loved the days (BITD) of geeking out over it though :-)
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

If you use power tools and a downdraft setup, make sure you've accounted for the possibility of very hot debris getting sucked in (particularly from edge grinders). I heard that one of the academy programs lost a couple of tables that way, and it's made the local program a little less inclined to go that route.

It's spring
    Wax ur stix

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    It's spring
    Wax ur stix

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    So much win in that pic.

Iron? Scraper? Pig nose? Coors? Finger!!!

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	455474Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  130.4 KB

Finally built my REI box with my version of the eggbar vise. Will probably end up adding the horizontal braces since it is a little unstable. Otherwise I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Holds skis well for tuning and keeps the mess to minimum so the wife doesnt mind me working in the living room. Folds up pretty nicely but is still pretty large. I want to consider adding some storage into the box for all the waxing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The size and complexity of your home tuning set up should be directly proportional to the number of days you put on each pair of skis per year..

Unfortunately, I'm down to a large tackle box with files, p-tex, bits, pozi drives, soldering iron, wax, stones, etc. No need for a dedicated tuning bench when I ski less than 10 days a season on a quiver of 10+ skis.

Loved the days (BITD) of geeking out over it though :-)
    Pushing for 100 days this year. I have a painters tarp I put on the floor and a pair of ski vises that clamp to my counter. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Attachment 442824

Sharing the garage with a full toolbox, cedar strip canoe and a full gym. Kill me.
    Ice maker for cocktail hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Attachment 442824

Sharing the garage with a full toolbox, cedar strip canoe and a full gym. Kill me.
    I’ve come to the realization that I’ll probably need to notch out my workbench to fit proper clamps like you did.

Out of curiosity, are these any that open 5 inches that anyone knows of? most seem to max out around 3 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    Pushing for 100 days this year. I have a painters tarp I put on the floor and a pair of ski vises that clamp to my counter. Works fine.
    Likewise. This is my setup once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

Good stuff, Page 11. Anybody using gas masks instead of HVAC venting systems? My bench is on the house-side of the garage and moving it isn't currently an option. Waxing frequency is going up.
    https://www.swixsport.com/en/tools/m...nd-protection/
    https://www.amazon.com/sperian-respi...ian+respirator
    -OR-
    https://www.amazon.com/Destroyer-Cha...1655488&sr=8-6

Let’s see your home wax bench

^^^^ yes, I use a half face 3m mask with “organic vapor” filter cartridgeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1681656143.050030.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	455959

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Good stuff, Page 11. Anybody using gas masks instead of HVAC venting systems? My bench is on the house-side of the garage and moving it isn't currently an option. Waxing frequency is going up.
    https://www.swixsport.com/en/tools/m...nd-protection/
    https://www.amazon.com/sperian-respi...ian+respirator
    -OR-
    https://www.amazon.com/Destroyer-Cha...1655488&sr=8-6
    So this is an interesting question. I have used a N95 dust mask and clear glasses when sharpening with my Razortune for kids race skis. Gotta say, it's pretty nasty to see the amount of metal in that mask... Been wondering about the mask?

Not as worried about waxing, but maybe I should be?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    So this is an interesting question. I have used a N95 dust mask and clear glasses when sharpening with my Razortune for kids race skis. Gotta say, it's pretty nasty to see the amount of metal in that mask... Been wondering about the mask?

Not as worried about waxing, but maybe I should be?
    Waxing involves some level of risk, and that level goes up with certain wax formulations (eg fluorocarbons) and way further up if you burn the wax (smoke is almost always bad for your lungs, and fluorocarbon smoke is worse). Roto brushing also has a rush associated with it, as you're aerosolizing wax particles in the process.

Risk is also tied to exposure levels; tuning one pair of skis twice a week is very different from tuning 30 pairs every other night.

Having a beard adversely affects most safety systems unless you go PAPR, and those are really pricy.

YMMV, but I wear at least an N95 mask if not a half-mask respirator while running an edge grinder (Swix Evo at home, usually RazorTune at work). I do have a beard, though. That's my level of comfort, yours may differ.

For all the waxing gurus, what’s best for cleaning bases before waxing? I have a few pair of skis that were last skied on dirty spring snow. So dirty that there was visible dirt on the bases.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    For all the waxing gurus, what’s best for cleaning bases before waxing? I have a few pair of skis that were last skied on dirty spring snow. So dirty that there was visible dirt on the bases.
    base cleaner…. Buy base cleaner. That’s all

I've been using isopropyl alcohol.