Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Let’s see your home wax bench

Just finished dialing in my home wax bench for the season. Let’s see the various set ups of the TGR community. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08920E4C-33CD-4C88-9878-054735EA416F.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	694.6 KB 
ID:	293459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29542C19-B417-46B6-9A8B-AB8C0A36A9B2.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	293460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2196.JPG 
Views:	596 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	293461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2197.JPG 
Views:	528 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	293462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2198.JPG 
Views:	546 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	293463
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 03-01-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Gunder the Man! I'm on my way with PBR & every ski in the house. Got a welder to repair core shots?

That’s a lotta jigarex plates!

Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    Gunder the Man! I'm on my way with PBR & every ski in the house. Got a welder to repair core shots?
    I had to up the rate to a 12 pack of ipa to keep up with inflation. I rarely ski low tide areas so only do metal / ptex stick work. If it’s that bad I just grab a new pair out of the quiver. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2206.JPG 
Views:	456 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	293474

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    That’s a lotta jigarex plates!
    I’m pretty heavily invested in them at this point. I still prefer mfg jigs as they are quite a bit more accurate and reliable but the jigarex plates work well enough as long as you replace the plastic seat parts on the main jig.

Nice set up OP.. What's your go to waxing iron?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Basic setup but works good. Most skis in my quiver have tech binders, so, heel and toe blocks of the binding attachment thingy modified to fit Dynafit binding pins.

Name:  P1110625.JPG
Views: 3356
Size:  200.0 KB

Name:  P1110626.JPG
Views: 3410
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  P1110627.JPG
Views: 3244
Size:  131.9 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I’m pretty heavily invested in them at this point. I still prefer mfg jigs as they are quite a bit more accurate and reliable but the jigarex plates work well enough as long as you replace the plastic seat parts on the main jig.
    Yeah - and one other advantage I've found for J-rex:

You can seat the jig, seat the plates, tap the holes super-lightly (I do it into masking tape) - and then remove the plates and quickly run a caliper to make sure it's perfectly centered. Adjust and repeat if needed - if it's dead-on, just re-seat the plates and drill (jig doesn't move when you re-seat). IME the jigarex mis-seats maybe half the time, a few mills off to one side or the other. This lets you confirm it's right before drilling...

I've saved a few off-center mounts by doing that. But you can't really do that with the manufacturer jig.

I had the original jigarex, had the mis-searing problem a bunch. Sent it back and they replaced the guts without a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Not shown-jigs, welder, roto brushes, waxer, screw and plug boxes, wax. Could only upload five photos and wanted my huck dolls (if anyone is holding a red Shane McConkey huck doll ski pole, I'm looking for one), Michael Jordan, and Jesus to have a pic spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Love the SVST vice setup. Bummer they are currently out of stock

Let’s see you home wax bench

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Basic setup but works good. Most skis in my quiver have tech binders, so, heel and toe blocks of the binding attachment thingy modified to fit Dynafit binding pins.

Name:  P1110625.JPG
Views: 3356
Size:  200.0 KB

Name:  P1110626.JPG
Views: 3410
Size:  135.3 KB

Name:  P1110627.JPG
Views: 3244
Size:  131.9 KB
    That was my first ski vice setup. I dig the tech binder conversion too. Wish I would have thought of that! Stuff like that is exactly the types of ideas I hope this thread generates more of.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nice set up OP.. What's your go to waxing iron?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2209.JPG 
Views:	712 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	293560 just this old Toko iron. It works well enough which is surprising for how many times it’s been dropped. I finally got smart and put a locking plug on it that connects to an overhead electric reel.

Let’s see you home wax bench

You can seat the jig, seat the plates, tap the holes super-lightly (I do it into masking tape) - and then remove the plates and quickly run a caliper to make sure it's perfectly centered. Adjust and repeat if needed - if it's dead-on, just re-seat the plates and drill (jig doesn't move when you re-seat). IME the jigarex mis-seats maybe half the time, a few mills off to one side or the other. This lets you confirm it's right before drilling...

I've saved a few off-center mounts by doing that. But you can't really do that with the manufacturer jig.
    Good points. If you are having off center issues it’s usually due to the plastic gears on the levers wearing. It’s a cheap wear item. I just replaced these an you can already see it starting to wear a notch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2210.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	293562

Sun valley ski tools makes an alpine center punch that perfectly aligns the center of each jig hole as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2211.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	293563

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Love the SVST vice setup. Bummer they are currently out of stock

Agreed. I need to find a better type of grip tape for the top of the supports tho. Haven’t found anything to last a season yet. I also dig his old ski boot drill holster!

I used to have a cave with a proper bench.

Name:  mounting_lindseys_120s.jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  149.9 KB

Then I retired and moved back to Hokkaido. Now I have a 2 cubic meter storage locker and these hot rods.

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	293576

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    I used to have a cave with a proper bench.

Name:  mounting_lindseys_120s.jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  149.9 KB

Then I retired and moved back to Hokkaido. Now I have a 2 cubic meter storage locker and these hot rods.

Name:	IMG_2616.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	293576
    I’d happily trade a little space to ski Hokkaido pow on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Agreed. I need to find a better type of grip tape for the top of the supports tho. Haven’t found anything to last a season yet. I also dig his old ski boot drill holster!
    Do you mean the circled area material?

If so, how about sections of rubber flooring material bonded to the support surface?

Name:  IMG_7177.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  P1110628.JPG
Views: 3247
Size:  161.0 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

I know its crazy talk but i just check the marks for accuracy before drilling using the actual binding and i punch the holes for drilling with a drywall screw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have a Jiga-Rex and have not experienced the chafing or wear on the centering gear. When I bought mine it was four or five years ago when they were being sold direct by Pliney(?). I had a question and he said do not tighten the centering mechanism too tightly. Since then I have not had an issue and checked mine yesterday and they are good. Based on how many plates were posted by Gunder he is using his a whole lot more than I do. Question, where does a non-shop purchase factory jigs?

I don’t use the levers at all to tighten my jigarex. I manually push the feet to the ski and then snug the lock. I had lent it out and the teeth got hammered in a couple mounts. So much so that I had to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Do you mean the circled area material?

If so, how about sections of rubber flooring material bonded to the support surface?

Name:  IMG_7177.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  148.8 KB

Name:  P1110628.JPG
Views: 3247
Size:  161.0 KB
    I do. Does that flooring material have much give? I've tried weather stripping and it was too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I know its crazy talk but i just check the marks for accuracy before drilling using the actual binding and i punch the holes for drilling with a drywall screw
    Thats always a good idea, but the drywall screw leaves lots of room for error. I use a alpine center punch that ensures that the mark is the center of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I have a Jiga-Rex and have not experienced the chafing or wear on the centering gear. When I bought mine it was four or five years ago when they were being sold direct by Pliney(?). I had a question and he said do not tighten the centering mechanism too tightly. Since then I have not had an issue and checked mine yesterday and they are good. Based on how many plates were posted by Gunder he is using his a whole lot more than I do. Question, where does a non-shop purchase factory jigs?
    Looking at the mechanism over tightening shouldn't cause the gears to wear unless you try to move the levers when locked. I think the key is to make sure they are lubed and to not overly crank on the levers when centering.

I don’t use the levers at all to tighten my jigarex. I manually push the feet to the ski and then snug the lock. I had lent it out and the teeth got hammered in a couple mounts. So much so that I had to replace them.
    . This sounds like a great idea.

Being anal I always mark the center of the ski and I filed small notches on each end of the frame exactly in the middle. Used a tiny bit of florescent paint in the notches so they are easier to see. When I mount the Jiga-Rex if the notch is lined up with the centerline I know I am good to go.

Just kidding LOL. I put some stuff down on the washer and dryer. All my tuning tools are in a large tackle box. Due to quiver rotation (too many skis) and limited ski days, most of my stuff really only gets touched up and waxed regularly.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Smart