Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    The bigger my quiver got, the more basic my tuning and waxing set up got.,, especially due to limited ski days thanks to career obligations When I only had two pairs of skis getting used 100 days a season, I spent quite a bit of time working on those two pairs of skis with a dedicated bench and tools all close at hand. Now that I have about 10 pairs of skis that share 5-10 ski days a year the upkeep is minimal with all tools packed away in a large tackle box and just throw some towels across the washer and dryer to touch up edges and lay on another coat or wax. Take then out to the porch and stand them up to scrape.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Let’s see you home wax bench

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Wax box looks great.

For most of my maintenance waxes, to mitigate scrapings I changed waxing method to crayoning a wafer thin layer of wax, iron it in and just buff it smooth. No scrape.
    This works? Like waxin, hate scrapin. X2 on the wax box

I've been crayoning the wax for years. This is what I get after a light scrape and brush. No reason to waste wax at all. And while we're on the subject, I maintain if you wax your skis regularly there is no need to leave a thick coat of wax on them all summer. All that does is attract dust and make a bigger mess when you have to remove it. Your bases won't oxidize if they are waxed, scraped, and brushed and your edges will not rust if you don't store them wet. A little rust or corrosion comes off easily with a gummi stone anyway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3015.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	295178

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Let’s see you home wax bench

Sanctuary

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	295531
    That Don't Make No Sense

Love the door

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Dump skis and skis from VT Ski who I still owe a case of beer out of gratitude.

That Don't Make No Sense

Just put this together. Only thing I had to purchase was the pegboard. I had materials left over from finishing up my house and figured it would be a worthwhile project to have something functional.

Name:	IMG_6593.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	295686

Name:	IMG_6597.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	295687

Liked the wax box ideas and had some scraps around. Easy to drop onto some saw horses, and can flip upside down to be a flat bench ie for ski mounting. The darker plywood ‘ski vices’ I made 10+ years ago, the go in/out with a single wingnut, makes base tuning and edge tuning easy. Those are 188 Megawatts, so fit any length or width and still catch the wax. Thanks mag collective for the ideas.

Name:	IMG_8601.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	295693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8603.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	295694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8602.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	295695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8604.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	295696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8605.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	295697

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    id post a picture but if you've never set foot in the sfb man cave of ski love
    you should
    its a maggot experience

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    id post a picture but if you've never set foot in the sfb man cave of ski love
    you should
    its a maggot experiance
    I have seen it, beyond what a Maggot can even appreciate. I found the experience similar to my first trip on Timothy Leary’s mind altering medications, a new level of consciousness.

Nothing fancy, but does the trick! Not pictured: the TV in the corner for watching football and/or YouTube videos for how to wrench on my vehicles (highly recommended).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190929_191115.jpeg 
Views:	221 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	295793

Sent from my SM-N970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Do I recognize this voice?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I have seen it, beyond what a Maggot can even appreciate. I found the experience similar to my first trip on Timothy Leary’s mind altering medications, a new level of consciousness.
    QFT

Spot on analogy too

Other Worldly - too much to take in all at once
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Dump skis and skis from VT Ski who I still owe a case of beer out of gratitude.

Dude! That came out great - glad the old boards went to some good use instead of the landfill. If you're ever up in waterbury/Stowe you can deliver the beer (which I had mostly forgotten about, haha)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

All of these pics got me off my ass and get the pegboard hung on the wall. Still feels jong-ish without any jigs in sight, but it's really nice to get the tools off the bench.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191014_202814.jpeg 
Views:	254 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	297892

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Stoked to finally reclaim the ol workbench. Shitpiles had gotten out of control. Added a half height side bench so my bequeathed Delta Rockwell drill press can drill skis supported by my workbench.

Name:	IMG_6312.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	305281

Name:	IMG_6310.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	305282

Must be nice

Name:	IMG_9595.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	305288

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Liked the wax box ideas and had some scraps around. Easy to drop onto some saw horses, and can flip upside down to be a flat bench ie for ski mounting. The darker plywood ‘ski vices’ I made 10+ years ago, the go in/out with a single wingnut, makes base tuning and edge tuning easy. Those are 188 Megawatts, so fit any length or width and still catch the wax. Thanks mag collective for the ideas.

Name:	IMG_8601.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	295693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8603.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	295694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8602.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	295695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8604.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	295696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8605.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	295697

https://www.rei.com/blog/wp-content/...n-Cutsheet.pdf

Loved these ideas and got to thinking about a portable one that you can fold up, turns out that REI has thought about it as well.

Currently traveling through Portugal, but I shot a christmas request out to Gramps to see if he would be able to make one. He seems pretty excited to work on the project and REI has already laid out all of the details which is really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Must be nice

Name:	IMG_9595.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	305288
    Nice...Dale’s...

I’m building a couple benches for various things and was reading about height and construction. Found some interesting articles.

Here’s an article on construction.
    https://paulsellers.com/2013/05/the-...bench-heights/

Also, found some people using casters, and saw this one type where when you drop down, the wood legs contact the ground, then raise up onto wheels. A bit more elaborate and in the way than just a lock on the wheel, but seems way more sturdy. Anyone using those?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I’m building a couple benches for various things and was reading about height and construction. Found some interesting articles.

Also, found some people using casters, and saw this one type where when you drop down, the wood legs contact the ground, then raise up onto wheels. A bit more elaborate and in the way than just a lock on the wheel, but seems way more sturdy. Anyone using those?
    my benches are set at +/-36 because that's what matches my table saw stand. so other stations match this height for interoperability (runout & compatible supports).

i just use locking casters
    raising/lowering is fine for occasional moving

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post

For a tuning bench, remember to consider the height of the vises (or whatever ski-holding system you choose) in your calculations. I do agree with the article that cutting down a bench that's too tall is easier than the reverse, but I spent seven years using a bench built by a guy over 6 feet tall, and most of the time had to resort to using the step another coach had built because the rest of us weren't as tall. For waxing, meh, I can deal with a fair range of height, but for scraping, brushing and running an edging machine, I want things to line up to maximize ergonomic efficiency (the former two because I want to be able to exert force, the latter because I want to be as smooth and precise as possible).

Maybe you should get taller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Maybe you should get taller.
    It has been a life-long dream.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Had a friend who's far handier than I am build me out a gear room/ski tuning room this summer. The finishing piece is a vise setup (and probably some more tools down the road). Any suggestions on a good vise setup to wax/tune skis? Most are in the 105-115 width. Vises need to clamp to a countertop and ideally not be permanent.

Maybe something like this?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WMKM0AJY46SMZD