Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I’d skip the lift too. Use it first. You will know if you actually need it. If you like longevity then a lift and tires will not help with that.

Truck Recommendations

Anyone have experience with newer Jeep Wranglers or Grand Cherokees? Have their reliability gone up? In the past, I have always heard of poor reliability with Jeeps.

No need to lift a Subaru. I’ve driven every fs road in Utah my buddies go in their Tacoma’s in my outback. Zero issues. Usually I can drive faster than them since I can actually see the road. Newer Tacomas are a joke as far as driver visibility. You made the sensible choice. I always say if you can’t fit a full sheet of plywood in a truck you didn’t buy a truck you bought a very expensive toy.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Personally, I'd never pay more than $2k for a truck. Old burly trucks are a dime a dozen.

CRV is a nice choice. If Honda ever gets an electric CRV with auto drive on the road I'm sold. I got a new hybrid of theirs and the variable trans is slicker than shit. Cadillacs don't shift like that.

Get your reliable vehicle then build out your rammer truck. You'll be much happier having the options. Hit me up for truck advice. I've been on all those trails...snapped some chains and leafs out there...might have crushed the entire side of a K10 rolling it off a trail. No big deal.

YMMV ^^ cuz IME drive an old truck or SUV far enough in bad enough weather and it just ends up costing too much for the fuel & repairs, which again speaks to ...

buying the right vehical for YOUR needs
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, I think the biggest thing I'm missing with this Subie is the storage space, but I definitely realized that getting a midsized truck just makes no sense in retrospect. I do need to get new wheels / tires for this car though, so I gotta decide what I want to do on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    X2...I have a Tacoma and hate it. Next rig is going to be a Tahoe and if I ever have a need for a truck bed I have a trailer I can use.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    2nd this...leased my 17 tacoma thinking they would fix the pig of a motor and worse trans..but alas, all the '20 has in a new grill and drivers side power seat. I heard there is an uodated trans flash but they say u have to ask for it??

To be fair, if thr truck wasnt supoosed to be 'tough' the weak motor would fit it.

Another thread but im looking at the TDI touareg or cayenne's (thx to reco over the weekend). Tow way better than the taco and more fun to drive..and some cool videos of them offroad

Oh besides the damage for a lease return, unless the colorado or ranger cause weaken demand, a lease on a tacoma really doenst make sense. Even buying them used really doesnt make much sense if u want piece of mind knowing waht has been done to the truck. I think mine devalued less than 8k total in 36 months even w 42k miles (rough estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    Another thread but im looking at the TDI touareg or cayenne's (thx to reco over the weekend). Tow way better than the taco and more fun to drive..and some cool videos of them offroad
    Oh you wanna have fun??? https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...h-a-v10-255846

I saw one of these in town last week and remembered that VW did some crazy shit in the mid-2000s. This Toureg, the W12 and V10 TDI Phaeton, the Passat Wagon with W8+AWD+manual - https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nual-for-sale/

Anyways, the Toureg/Cayenne are sweet and capable, but $$$ to deal with as they age.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Anyways, to wrap all this up in the end I got a 2006 Subaru Outback...but because I like to make "exciting" choices I bought a completely stock, XT 5-speed *knock on wood*. I'm thinking about adding a small lift and some off-road wheels/tires and seeing how that combo does for me overall. Super fun to drive and as a platform, probably makes more sense than a truck.
    Good call. Read up on turbo care and maintenance. My folks had an XT with my mom being the primary driver. She blew up two turbos. Likely because she was always late for work, would jump in the car, jet out, park, turn it off, run in. No warmup and cooldown time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Well here's an update for ya:

In order to check out used cars, I ended up renting a Tacoma DCSB TRD from Hertz (just by chance) and so I got to drive it first hand. I see what people mean. It's like...a car but with a truck bed. Drove pretty nice and all, but the bed and back seats are tiny! I think I realized my idea that having a mid-size truck as a do-it-all vehicle is a pipe dream.
    Sounds super reasonable

Anyways, to wrap all this up in the end I got a 2006 Subaru Outback...but because I like to make "exciting" choices I bought a completely stock, XT 5-speed *knock on wood*. I'm thinking about adding a small lift and some off-road wheels/tires and seeing how that combo does for me overall. Super fun to drive and as a platform, probably makes more sense than a truck.
    oh goddamnit OP

Well you're not playing the depreciating mid size truck game just subaru turbo russian roulette. As others mentioned, you probably don't need to lift an outback, BUT it is cheaper to virtue signal with a lifted outback than a leased 2019 taco...

Yeah, I think the biggest thing I'm missing with this Subie is the storage space, but I definitely realized that getting a midsized truck just makes no sense in retrospect. I do need to get new wheels / tires for this car though, so I gotta decide what I want to do on that front.
    I think you'll be really happy with your Outback. A few years ago, I was in a similar situation and picked a Subaru Forester over a Taco or similar midsize truck. For my needs (lots of driving with skis and mountain bikes between the Bay Area and the Sierras) the Subaru is perfect.

No plans to lift my Forester but I'm running Cooper AT3 4S tires and liking them. Lots of other Subaru owners running all terrain tires. Details on subaruforester.org forum but other popular tires are BFG KO2's (although they are super heavy) and Yokohama G015 AT's. None of these come in stock Subaru tire sizes but some will fit stock height Subaru's no problem. I went from 225/60/R17 to 235/60/R17 on mine. My bud has his Subaru lifted 2" with big BFG KO2's. It looks sick but I wouldn't recommend the lift for the same reason others have stated.

Truck Recommendations

In looking at 2016 Toyota Tacomas, they seem to come with Goodyear’s Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tires. How are these in the snow? Equal to a dedicated snow tire?

No chance they are equal to a dedicated snow tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    In looking at 2016 Toyota Tacomas, they seem to come with Goodyear’s Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure tires. How are these in the snow? Equal to a dedicated snow tire?
    Terrible, I got rid of mine immediately.

I would highly recommend that you test drive a Tundra or F150 before committing to a Tacoma unless there is a specific reason to go with that size vehicle... my tundra feels only marginally bigger while driving but is so much nicer in everyway over the 19 Tacoma I had.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    No. I think they're a decent AT tire, but in no way equal to a dedicated snow tire.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Terrible, I got rid of mine immediately.

I would highly recommend that you test drive a Tundra or F150 before committing to a Tacoma unless there is a specific reason to go with that size vehicle... my tundra feels only marginally bigger while driving but is so much nicer in everyway over the 19 Tacoma I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    No. I think they're a decent AT tire, but in no way equal to a dedicated snow tire.
    I agree with TAFKLS on the tires. They're "acceptable" AT tires as long as you're not doing anything remotely serious with them, and by that I mean anything worse than the average dirt road. In the snow I thought they were truly shitty and got rid of them as soon as I could after driving 8+ hours of Canadian winter roads with my asscheeks clenched tight.
    The guy I sold them to said he will never drive on anything but pavement which is a fitting use of these tires.

Re: Tundra, I had the opposite experience when I drove one. I felt like I could have parked a Taco in the bed and I was driving a land boat. For what I do the Taco is perfect. No towing, no hauling lots of stuff, no moving full sheets of drywall around, just accessing remote climbing spots in the desert and sleeping in the back.

I drive all them trucks down river every year for the fisherman who want to do a float, some times in a couple hrs I will be in 3 different trucks everything from a Taco to a crew cab/ diesel / 8ft box

Its all on a continuim of what you need to do, if you don't need to carry anything but a mtn bike or some skis the taco fits the bill IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

saw an outback that had some serious clearance out in the woods. looked interesting.

big fan of toyotas circa 2006. you can readily work on them and modify them. and put chains on them. gtg.

california is a great used market for trucks fyi. many people don't really use the piss out of their trucks there + a bunch of old boomers there...

The stock Tacoma Goodyear wrangler Adventure tires are not great in the snow. Better than an average “4 season” tire but not by much. Not even close to even the cheapest snow tires. I will say they have surprised me at the traction they have and the abuse they put up with on jagged rocky CO off roading I have pith them through. Pop it on crawl mode and they get through anything. Love the Taco.

I went from a 30 year-old Jeep with BFG TKO's to a '16 Taco with the stock Goodyear's. The Taco was tangled up in a guard rail within a week of winter driving. Kind of a shit show in the wet too. Went Duratrac, never looked back.

I’ve owned a 2016 Tundra, 2014 Silverado and currently own a 2018 F-150. My wife was given a Tacoma as a rental when her car was getting fixed and I was so disappointed in it. I would tru to go full size if you can as mpg of a full size is not that much different than a midsize anymore. Of the 3 I’ve owned my favorite was the tundra for what I used it for (towing a work trailer) but for a daily driver the f150 is tough to beat, especially with the eco boost motor.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

Its all on a continuim of what you need to do, if you don't need to carry anything but a mtn bike or some skis the taco fits the bill IME
    That's my take as well.

Which leads to the question: if all you need to carry is a mountain bike and some skis, why buy a pickup truck?

Clearly a Land Cruiser or Audi A4 Avant with a MT and a goddamn box would be a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    I’ve owned a 2016 Tundra, 2014 Silverado and currently own a 2018 F-150. My wife was given a Tacoma as a rental when her car was getting fixed and I was so disappointed in it. I would tru to go full size if you can as mpg of a full size is not that much different than a midsize anymore. Of the 3 I’ve owned my favorite was the tundra for what I used it for (towing a work trailer) but for a daily driver the f150 is tough to beat, especially with the eco boost motor.
    True the MPG on some full size depending on which engine is almost the same. The Tundras and F150s are great, but too wide for many trails and every day driving. The smaller size is a big advantage. Try parking in a ski area garage... Went off roading with a F150 he scraped the shit out of both sides of his truck, mine was unscathed. Taco with the 6’ bed gets the job done. Fits my sled in the back, as many skis as you want, camping in the bed in summer, 5 mountain bikes and all the gear you want.

Previous rig was a 4 runner with a box and a MTB rack, was a pain in the ass. The truck gives you way more flexibility. A friend said to me, “you have so much shit strapped onto your car, think it’s time for a bigger rig?” Got the Taco and never looked back.