Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's my take as well.

Which leads to the question: if all you need to carry is a mountain bike and some skis, why buy a pickup truck?
    Exactly. My favorite is during steelhead season on my local river. Paved road with some gravel pullouts and you get to keep 2 fish which would fit in the glove compartment of a Prius, yet all the pullouts are filled with hudge trucks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That's my take as well.

Which leads to the question: if all you need to carry is a mountain bike and some skis, why buy a pickup truck?
    Clearance

I lunched 2 oilpans in a TDi, so after i instaled the aluminium skid plate it made noises that the plastic belly pan did not so I realized I was grounding out on the minor crown in the gravel driveway and the crown of the road going up the hill was hitting the oilpan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Clearance

I lunched 2 oilpans in a TDi, so after i instaled the aluminium skid plate it made noises that the plastic belly pan did not so I realized I was grounding out on the minor crown in the gravel driveway and the crown of the road going up the hill was hitting the oilpan
    An outback only has about a 1/2" less clearance than a taco. Just sayin.

A TDi has 4" of clearance but can you hit things in a subaru no problem ?

I am pretty sure I wouldn't want or could drive a subaru up the ski run to the top of the skyline chair with 5 guys, all their saws/gas/stuff to go kill trees

I had an 83 wagon which was a great car but i am pretty sure I don't want to drive a new subaru and I can afford to drive anything i want

An outback only has about a 1/2" less clearance than a taco. Just sayin.
    Or more with a lift kit; https://lpaventure.ca/collections/outback

They aren’t far from me and make very good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

A TDi has 4" of clearance but can you hit things in a subaru no problem ?

I am pretty sure I wouldn't want or could drive a subaru up the ski run to the top of the skyline chair with 5 guys, all their saws/gas/stuff to go kill trees

I had an 83 wagon which was a great car but i am pretty sure I don't want to drive a new subaru and I can afford to drive anything i want
    Don't get me wrong, I think most subarus kinda suck. Just saying that if clearance is your main concern, there's lots of options.

I still think pickup trucks are fantastic, which is why I've always owned one. I also think small pickups like a taco are kind of pointless - all the downsides of a pickup, but they can't really carry or tow anything. A full size truck will carry the same bikes and skis that the taco will, with the added benefit of carrying campers, firewood, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think most subarus kinda suck. Just saying that if clearance is your main concern, there's lots of options.

I still think pickup trucks are fantastic, which is why I've always owned one. I also think small pickups like a taco are kind of pointless - all the downsides of a pickup, but they can't really carry or tow anything. A full size truck will carry the same bikes and skis that the taco will, with the added benefit of carrying campers, firewood, etc.
    I started with a mini truck... it was stupid... I mean I could put my bikes over the tale gate and all but my Rav4 with good tires and north shore got me everywhere I needed to go... Within a year I moved on to a 1/2 ton, it makes way more sense than the mini truck. The added bed space is huge! The added depth and width make a BIG difference. Now I am just kicking myself for not just getting a 3/4 ton so I could actually tow shit.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Clearly a Land Cruiser or Audi A4 Avant with a MT and a goddamn box would be a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Depends on the size of your wife’s... um... skis.

Its more than just clearance,

in 9 years about all I carried was skis and bikes maybe some stuff to the dump in the old ranger which was the last of the small PU's

Taco, new Ranger & Colorado are midsized they will carry 5 adults which the small PU's would not, they carry enough stuff if you think they carry enough stuff

Full size are big to drive, big to park, big to put fuel in and big to buy

Pricing is nearly identical on mid and full size. Shouldn’t even be a consideration IMO.

I was looking at 40ishk vs closer to 60k

but again do you need somethign that big

I was looking at 40ishk vs closer to 60k

but again do you need somethign that big
    Prices are actually really close. Dealer was offering me a Tundra Limited TRD Off Road for only 1k more than my Tacoma Premium TRD Off Road.

Haven’t run into a situation where I couldn’t get something in the bed of my Taco (long bed, the short beds are stupid, you can’t even fit a pair of skis length wise) including my snowmobile. Towing has been a non issue, but I’m not hauling a 40 foot camper or anything. 6800 lb going capacity. Haven’t towed more than a couple sleds on a trail but that was no problem.

https://www.getyourtoyota.ca/pacific-english/

Doesnt look that close to me ^^ a base 4door Tacoma starts at 40ish and can top out at close to 60 depending on the build

when I talked to the sales guy whom I know fairly well (been to his place for dinner) he said tacoma is 40ish , Tundra is 60ish and the Canadian site sez as much

Haters say Tacoma is too small

I'm saying Tundra is too big

Mid size is a nice size for me

Goldilocks and the 3 bears covered this even back then

MSRP =/= REALITY

edit. IDK, maybe in CA. Do you guys negotiate prices up there? I don't think I've ever paid over invoice.

I would venture to say that, due to market forces, mid-size pickups sell somewhere between invoice and MSRP, while full-size rarely sell over invoice. At least that was my experience when I was bought a truck in 2015.

Expect to pay a premium for your TRD pro's and platinums.

I have a 1st gen taco (03), and a 1500 chev crewcab. The taco holds my sled just perfect, is still the narrow bodystyle so hunting old roads works w/o scratching paint, is all I need to make runs to the dump or hardware store, and uses 1/3 less gas than the crewcab. The chevy has room to spare in the cab for 3 of us plus the hound, and tows the camper. Basically, the crewcab was for family road trips to the cabin or towing the trailer. So for us it is about traveling space and GVWR/CGWR. Depends on what you need, and a quiver is the best of both worlds.

open question: it seems that full size pickups are mainly a north america thing. Why?

Size of roads in urban centres in Europe and Asia for one. Our roads were designed around our vehicles whereas their's were built to a much older transportation system. I couldn't imagine trying to navigate a full-size p/u in the few cities in Europe I have visited, and even the rural roads seem much narrower than here.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Size of roads in urban centres in Europe and Asia for one. Our roads were designed around our vehicles whereas their's were built to a much older transportation system. I couldn't imagine trying to navigate a full-size p/u in the few cities in Europe I have visited, and even the rural roads seem much narrower than here.
    This and the cost of gas. Toyota, Ford, etc... make smaller engines that work better for Europe.
    I grew up in a rural/mountainous area in France where people need to drive into the "alpine" on shitty dirt road for work (refuges, farms, etc...). All you see are the Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, and the Mistubishi equivalent. All on 2.4L 4-cylinder diesel engines that put out more torque than the 3.5L V6 on the Tacos and probably gets twice the gas mileage. Manual transmissions everywhere. Everyone seems pretty happy with the functionality, payload, towing ability, etc... but then again there's no landboat culture, intense petrotainment habits, and insecurities re: correlation between penis and truck size over there...

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    MSRP =/= REALITY

edit. IDK, maybe in CA. Do you guys negotiate prices up there? I don't think I've ever paid over invoice.

I would venture to say that, due to market forces, mid-size pickups sell somewhere between invoice and MSRP, while full-size rarely sell over invoice. At least that was my experience when I was bought a truck in 2015.

Expect to pay a premium for your TRD pro's and platinums.
    sure but whatever truck you buy its all gona be market price, if that truck is worht the $$$ is a whole different subject

sure but whatever truck you buy its all gona be market price, if that truck is worht the $$$ is a whole different subject
    and that's why a mid-size is priced relatively close to a comparably equipped full-size.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    and that's why a mid-size is priced relatively close to a comparably equipped full-size.
    They are able to discount the full size trucks much more than the mid size, due to market factors. If I would have leased, the similarly equipped Tundra would have been a lower payment than the Taco due to faster depreciation/residual value.

Don’t buy a car from your buddy, you have to beat the dealers up on the price. Get a few competing for price, don’t be afraid to walk out. Don’t pay more than invoice, no matter what they say they are still making money. Don’t talk about financing until you are happy with the price.

Is there an echo in here?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Word. I remember visiting cousins in the Umbrian Hills when I was a tween. Dad rented and drove a like 12 passenger full-size van when we were over there. (Parents, three kids, and nana.) It was sketchy sideview-mirrors-in territory when he decided to venture down even some of the wider streets in those little hill towns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Got a 19 mt access cab taco because it carries everything I need it to, I don't have kids and fits in my garage. Very happy with it so far.

I drive a turd gen taco.

this makes it drive SO much better...... https://www.ovtuned.com/