Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Worth repeating - if you don't get at least a 6' bed, your truck is all but worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Worth repeating - if you don't get at least a 6' bed, your truck is all but worthless.
    But what if you work for a mini fridge delivery company that specializes in delivering to remote locations on narrow roads that have scratchy bushes that are wide enough for a Tacoma but not wide enough for any other pickup truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But what if you work for a mini fridge delivery company that specializes in delivering to remote locations on narrow roads that have scratchy bushes that are wide enough for a Tacoma but not wide enough for any other pickup truck?
    I see you’re familiar with my new company: Backcountry Logistics. Gotta llama for a logo. Need a mini fridge and a Honda genset? We got you covered.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

TGR Truck threads are the best. A summary:

OP - "I WANT a truck! Tell me why I NEED a truck!"

Response 1 - "Welcome to TEAM TRUCK! Get any kind of TRUCK. Big truck, small truck, I like TRUCK and you will like TRUCK too!"

Response 2- "You don't NEED a truck, sir. Here is a curated list of activities that require a truck. You don't qualify for team NEEDS a TRUCK."

OP - "Yeah good info and all but I WANT a truck!"

FFS aside from this thread's OP, who is a statistical anomaly, truck wanters will buy the damn thing every time regardless of any rational argument against it. If ya want one, great buy it. You probably don't need it, which is fine because probably 85% of other truck owners don't need theirs either.

ergo ^^ I should get a bigger truck THE biggest flocking truck with the biggest engine

I shuttled an f-150 Raptor this morning for some of my American cousins,.

the power the noise all them bells and whistles ... holy fuck eh !!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    open question: it seems that full size pickups are mainly a north america thing. Why?
    Elk and plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Elk and plywood?
    And infrastructure and money. Full sized pickups are expensive. And they don't fit in residential areas in a lot of areas of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Elk and plywood?
    Hard no. Few people use them for that in NA. Living in MT you are in a redneck bubble, ha

Truck Recommendations

Plywood on lumber rack. Elk wherever. Know 2 elk hunters that live near me. They’ve each hunter for a couple of decades. One used to use his Honda Accord and now uses a crosstrek. The other uses a Prius. Both are consistently successful. The one with w Prius spends more time driving the 80 corridor between house and trailhead than he spends walking, hunting, dressing, and loading the car.

Spent a little time in rural NZ and in the Scottish highlands around 2003/4. Lots of cruiser trucks and duel cab short bed hilux/nissans/Mitsubishi used for farming/ranching.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Plywood on lumber rack. Elk wherever. Know 2 elk hunters that live near me. They’ve each hunter for a couple of decades. One used to use his Honda Accord and now uses a crosstrek. The other uses a Prius. Both are consistently successful. The one with w Prius spends more time driving the 80 corridor between house and trailhead than he spends walking, hunting, dressing, and loading the car.

Spent a little time in rural NZ and in the Scottish highlands around 2003/4. Lots of cruiser trucks and duel cab short bed hilux/nissans/Mitsubishi used for farming/ranching.
    Cord of firewood, stack o' hookers?

I’ve gotten lots of use out of 5’ short bed Tacomas and Ford Rangers. Maybe not practical for many but a very capable platform for moving four people, a bunch of awkward and often dirty/muddy heavy gear and equipment to places a full-size truck would have issues going due to ‘road’ width and other factors.

Try fitting 184+ cm Skis in a 5 ft bed. Es dificil.
    When I was shopping for my rig I brought my192 lotus into the dealer to make sure the bed size passed muster. If you're buying a beast of burden, it better damn well comfortably carry your burden.

Ranger fit 191's diagonaly no probelm, I know I've had 223's in there but i may have had to leave a bit out side the box, I think the Tacoma is bigger certainly fits the Bike easier
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just got one of the new Ford Rangers with the 4 cylinder turbo for a work vehicle. Supposed to be super fuel efficient, cuts off automagically at stop lights, restarts when you lift off the brake pedal. So far at 850 miles in, I'm averaging 16.8 mpg, and I drive like grandpa 85% of the time. So yea, I think I'm in the why not get a full size camp.

My 88 4Runner 22re got better mileage than that^^^

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Just got one of the new Ford Rangers with the 4 cylinder turbo for a work vehicle. Supposed to be super fuel efficient, cuts off automagically at stop lights, restarts when you lift off the brake pedal. So far at 850 miles in, I'm averaging 16.8 mpg, and I drive like grandpa 85% of the time. So yea, I think I'm in the why not get a full size camp.
    There has got to be something wrong. I'm getting about that in 'round town driving and 20-21mpg on the highway... and I've got an F150 quad-cab with the venerable 5.0l V8.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    There has got to be something wrong. I'm getting about that in 'round town driving and 20-21mpg on the highway... and I've got an F150 quad-cab with the venerable 5.0l V8.
    I average 17 in a Chevy with a V8.

I talked to fleet about it, they gave me the shoulder shrug. I have to drive to St. George in a few weeks so I’m curious to see what it gets pure highway.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Hmmm, I thought it would get better than than. I drive 16 taco, V6 with tune and get 18-19 mph mixed driving (denver proper, airport, up the hill to ski). 13-15 mph towing camper in CO mountains.

I see a full-size truck in our future. I’ve never wanted one until about the last 18 months. Probably Ford for the more efficient engine, and definitely a quad cab. Having a hard time accepting a 21-foot vehicle as a daily driver, but the 5.5-foot bed just seems too small.

Real seats for 4 or 5... turned the pickup truck into a family vehicle. A fan

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I see a full-size truck in our future. I’ve never wanted one until about the last 18 months. Probably Ford for the more efficient engine, and definitely a quad cab. Having a hard time accepting a 21-foot vehicle as a daily driver, but the 5.5-foot bed just seems too small.
    It is. Just put a bike on the tailgate to see how much of the bed gets eaten up...

But yeah - the 21 feet makes parking garages kinda challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    We moved on this sooner than I thought we might. After extensive conversations with several friends we ended up going with a Sierra- crew cab, short box. The GMC short bed is 5’9”. Not that much longer than the Ford but it makes a difference.