Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where do you buy your boots?

Shop or internet? Should be a survey, I guess.

I'm starting to think I should buy boots online, with return made easy, except for shipping costs. More selection.
    It's getting really hard to find my size within 100 miles. And, no, I'm not moving just to be close to a cool shop.

Then take them to my fitter .

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I found these for you fairly quickly via a web search.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    °”rale, vato!

HEY EVERYONE! BENNY IS GETTING NEW BOOTS THIS YEAR IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW ALREADY!

Try going to a Surefoot on your first ski vacation out west. They've done me good for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post

Try going to a Surefoot on your first ski vacation out west. They've done me good for years.

And you buy your clothes at the Gap, too?

Btw, there's a Surefoot in Manhattan. And a ton of Gaps.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

And you buy your clothes at the Gap, too?

Btw, there's a Surefoot in Manhattan. And a ton of Gaps.
    Sweet, then go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I found these for you fairly quickly via a web search.
    The red ones are faster.....

Name:  7176EE76-A61E-409B-BC68-C062CBBA4403.jpeg
Views: 677
Size:  67.5 KB

I'm starting to think I should buy boots online, with return made easy, except for shipping costs. More selection.
    It's getting really hard to find my size within 100 miles. And, no, I'm not moving just to be close to a cool shop.

Then take them to my fitter .
    Benny, remember how impressed you were with the way Lone Mountain Sports treated you with your core shot ? They do boots too. Cory is my goto guy, he set me up with those Langes I was wearing when we skied. But I know Bunion swears by the other dude, so 2 well recommended fitters in one shop. Ski in, ski out via Silverknife so you can take a few runs and then stop in for an adjustment.

You have IKON. My sofa is here. Make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Shop. I usually need a lot of work for my bony feet.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Benny, remember how impressed you were with the way Lone Mountain Sports treated you with your core shot ? They do boots too. Cory is my goto guy, he set me up with those Langes I was wearing when we skied. But I know Bunion swears by the other dude, so 2 well recommended fitters in one shop. Ski in, ski out via Silverknife so you can take a few runs and then stop in for an adjustment.

You have IKON. My sofa is here. Make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks, dude, but, want to get the boots sorted out before travelling so far.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Why donít you just take a day trip up to VT and sort it out with a bootfitter? In between starting threads about it, if you have the time.

Well, here's the way I see it. I was going to do that, drive over 4 hours to put my foot into a boot or two, just to see if they actually can even begin to fit, but, then thought, why not just order a pair or two, try them on at home, and go from there? The downside is return shipping costs.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

If you know the brand that will fit your foot, gearswap

Have you considered just replacing your liners if shell hanging tough? Toe and heel blocks can be swapped as needed.

Iíve got some old nordicas I am keeping alive with a liner swap. Glorious life extension. + bought some killer Langes on gs for $100 and they fit just fine. ...but I know Nordica and Lange are likely the only two brands I have any luck of gelling with.

No idea where you are but my wife had a good experience at Ski Monster in Boston when we lived there.
    Uno mas

The Ski Monster guys are great. Not sure brand fits are a thing anymore?

My shells flex started to feel off around 300 days iirc. They were on their third liner.

IME trying to avoid the bootfitter costs more time and potentially money in the long run. Iím a gear whore, worked at a boot shop about a decade ago and I wasnít successful trying to do what youíre doing. I donít have a particularly weird foot.

One other thing to consider is that boot flexes are way softer across the board than what they were even 5-6 years ago. I keep a 2014 shell in rotation for spring skiing / groomer days etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    The Ski Monster guys are great. Not sure brand fits are a thing anymore?
    Maybe. I havenít bought boots from a shop in about 15 years so I likely donít know what I am talking about. Telemark skier for 10+ years but started dabbling back in alpine last season due to an injury.

Have been of the mindset that companies sorta spread themselves out by foot type but I was a very precision fit maniac when I alpined. Sounds like it might be trending less stiff and more comfort focused??
    Uno mas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70170243_532937470795203_3440693855534448640_o.jpg.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	293383
    Go rear entry Benny, you'll like it.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Well, here's the way I see it. I was going to do that, drive over 4 hours to put my foot into a boot or two, just to see if they actually can even begin to fit, but, then thought, why not just order a pair or two, try them on at home, and go from there? The downside is return shipping costs.
    For one, most ski shops with qualified boot fitters make money selling you boots. At bare minimum own the fact that "I purchased these boots online and an expect to pay more and be less of a priority for boot fitting than the guy that bought at the ski shop".

I do it but I have an easy to fit foot, have decades long relationships with bootfitters (AKA "my friends" and generally just need the liner heat molded.

I think brick and mortar ski shops would do themselves a favor if they increased the price of their service products and didn't rely on retail they'd be better off. Easier said than done. If you want ski shop to continue to exist, you need to be a good customer and make sure you help their profitability.

D.I.Y.

Name:  birdcage.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  162.1 KB
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Maybe. I havenít bought boots from a shop in about 15 years so I likely donít know what I am talking about. Telemark skier for 10+ years but started dabbling back in alpine last season due to an injury.

Have been of the mindset that companies sorta spread themselves out by foot type but I was a very precision fit maniac when I alpined. Sounds like it might be trending less stiff and more comfort focused??
    I think there are a lot more molds being used these days, and most brands carry a ton more boots across their lines.

I donít have a hard foot to fit, but Iím obsessive about having a performance fit that I can ski for 4-5 hours without feeling like I should take them off.

Boots are definitely trending softer, lighter and with more options for fit. 10 years ago the 130 performance boot was narrow and stiff. Nowadays thereís an option 97-103mm fit for all boots 110-130 flex rating across the line or a major brand, and some 130s are noodles imo.

Eta tech talk jongs!

Shop. Supports local economy and I get great service.

If you happen to have a reputable local shop, yes
    Uno mas

Of three shops here, exactly one model of tele boot has been available for several years and it's not NTN (so zero options). Online for me for years after getting advice on TGR.

I support local shops with other purchases but I'm not going to have them order a model they don't carry at full price just so I can try it on. Going A/T this year and got great advice on tech talk on a Scarpa Maestrale, fit is great. But I have a fairly easy to fit foot and have molded / padded my own liners for years. My ex-wife is the opposite, difficult fit. Tried online twice which was a mistake. She finally drove to a shop in Bozeman to get fitted and now has happy feet. So, it depends.....

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Of three shops here, exactly one model of tele boot has been available for several years and it's not NTN (so zero options). Online for me for years after getting advice on TGR.

I support local shops with other purchases but I'm not going to have them order a model they don't carry at full price just so I can try it on. Going A/T this year and got great advice on tech talk on a Scarpa Maestrale, fit is great. But I have a fairly easy to fit foot and have molded / padded my own liners for years. My ex-wife is the opposite, difficult fit. Tried online twice which was a mistake. She finally drove to a shop in Bozeman to get fitted and now has happy feet. So, it depends.....
    You're a different conversation.. you're niche in niche...

Benny on the other hand...

on-line and a shop in whistler at the olympics, there was every kind of boot available and slope side shops were open late if you needed boot work

on-line I got lucky with the mercury fitting perfectly with no punching and then the Vulcan fit the same

liners at Intuition in Vangroovy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I know I recommended Surefoot and still do, but when I'm on a budget, buying a boot (online, last years model) with intuition liners, a sixer for the guys at the local ski shop for letting you use their oven, and some Red-hot Superfeet footbeds seems to get me close enough on most boots. This is usually accomplished for less than $500-600.

Pre used Maggot boots are always the best bet.

Except Leelau, that guys feet are fkedup.

https://paddle8-staging.imgix.net/me...ct-8.5.1&w=974
    Last edited by SB; 09-08-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    watch out for snakes