Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    fuckkkkkkk off rain and give me Saturday and Sunday semi-dry. No asking for sunshine, just not down pours.
    only 10mm sunday in squish...

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    only 10mm sunday in squish...
    I don't think I can move the Fiver World Champs to Squamish on Sunday.

I don't think I can move the Fiver World Champs to Squamish on Sunday.
    ahhhh, yes, I do recall Cooper mentioning that Wednesday evening....

ahhhh, yes, I do recall Cooper mentioning that Wednesday evening....
    Trail selection can handle it, just much nicer for the vollies and apres if it's not pouring rain.

Trail selection can handle it, just much nicer for the vollies and apres if it's not pouring rain.
    The trails can handle it, but can the riders?

Dale's in the wet is 50/50 nailing it/ending up in the bushes.

The rowdiest sanctioned trail in Revy is probably Ultimate Frisby. If you want a true classic ride, go to the top of Frisby Ridge, then descend all the way to the valley via the ridge, UFC, and Ultimate Frisby. Starts off as a fast intermediate trail, transitions to a fun, easy black, and finishes with a full-on rocky, rooty and steep downhill to the bottom.

Then head across to the ski hill and ride Pipe Wrench and Crow Bar. Pipe Wrench is a steep, loose and rocky, while Crow Bar is a mix of everything that finishes in a long technical descent. Neither are sanctioned but both are on Trail Forks.

For the best alpine experience, ride Keystone, and if you like endless jumps and berms, ride 5620 at the ski hill.

But if you only have 7-10 days, I'd save yourself some driving and stick to the coast.

Update: I’ve been in Idaho since Tuesday. Sun Valley for a few, now at Tamarack doing this Trail Party race thing. It’s been sunny and 70, sublime early fall conditions.
    But I think I’m gonna bust northward after “racing” tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’d hit Leavenworth for the morning, Bellingham in the afternoon. Great riding in two pretty cool towns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nelson > Revy...revy has a few good things but overall I always end up expecting a bit more than you actually get. I live in Squamish now but would still give it a solid meh over Whistler or Pemberton...very homogeneous, but intermediates love that shit and the pitch and putt slabs in Alice Lake, there is some fun off map stuff in between the squirrel catchers though that's okay. Squamish trails seem very braided to me though, always end up wondering if I should be on a different line, it's annoying, imo.
    Bumping an older thread... would love more detail on Nelson. Specifically, if you had 3-4 days to ride and wanted the best bang/buck and variety, what's the recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Bumping an older thread... would love more detail on Nelson. Specifically, if you had 3-4 days to ride and wanted the best bang/buck and variety, what's the recommendation?
    1) call sacred ride, talk to Hayden. Try to get on one of his shuttles. If you have a decent size group and can fill a van for the day, that is money well spent. Don't let him talk you into tasters choice though.

2) paper bag is a classic Nelson trail with a bit of everything. Extend the ride by doing a bonus lap (or two) on logjam before you drop in.

3) morning mountain is fun, the climbing trail (bottoms up / upper bottoms) is well built and it's a nice break from the steep fire road climbs you tend to find elsewhere in Nelson. Placenta descenta and bedframe are both great options in that vicinity. If you feel like continuing to climb from the top of morning mountain, ride up the road, then down powerslave to bears den. Really good trail in there. I usually connect in at the "powerslave connector" (on trailforks) that's at ~5500 ft. Upper powerslave is still good, but less noteworthy.

4) the north shore trails are fantastic. Morning sickness, newtsac, and nooner are awesome, relatively quick laps. If you do another ride in the morning, these are a good afternoon option. Skip shitaker, although walk down it 45 seconds to look at sorge's massive jumps. In the same general vicinity (although different drainage / parking area), lower sitkum is a super fun trail. After you're done riding there, drive another 25 minutes north to Ainsworth hot springs. Best commercial hot springs I've been to. There's a cave.

5) everything I mentioned here is on trailforks and is relatively straightforward to navigate. If you want to step up the steepness / gnarliness, talk to sacred ride. There's a bunch of stuff that's not on trailforks and somewhat under the radar, but I haven't found those trails to be a super closely guarded secret. They're findable if you're cool and you ask nicely. Turns out that waist deep loam is pretty awesome.

I love the Mountain Station stuff - steep, fast and nice dirt. The climb is a fairly heinous logging road, though, with a couple of singletrack connectors lower down. These trails can’t be shuttled. Skirt, Eli Slim, TNT, Spacejunk and the Vein are all good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I love the Mountain Station stuff - steep, fast and nice dirt. The climb is a fairly heinous logging road, though, with a couple of singletrack connectors lower down. These trails can’t be shuttled. Skirt, Eli Slim, TNT, Spacejunk and the Vein are all good choices.
    yeah you definitely earn it on Mountain Station, but the Skirt's into TNT and back up to Eli is a super solid lap, super fun. The Vein might be one of my favourite trails in Nelson, non-shuttleable which keeps it in pretty good condition since it's pretty steep. On Morning Mountain the go to is Power Slave/Bears Den/Mister Slave/Illuminati...can pedal it, but you probably want a shuttle, if shuttling go up Toad Mountain and do Toad Member/Upper PS too, I rode it from downtown with Joe Schwartz and some others in 2012, I'd recommend the shuttle option! I also like the Give Out side, Gold Member/Lucky Charms/Gold Rush/Waldorfian is really fun, it's also shuttle preferable. The other good one is Cherry Tops/Shannon Pass by Baldface, SP is really good, but again, not really something most people wouldn't want to shuttle. Personally I think North Shore stuff is good, but only really rode there early/late season and don't think it's that much better than the other stuff.

If you're going to do Paperbag be sure to check that it's been bucked out recently, it gets windy in Nelson and that trail frequently has a lot of blow down, and if it's been bucked out recently, there'll probably be a storm soon and make it annoying again! Middle Earth is a good alternative in that area.

Anyway, that's just a snapshot, Nelson is one of the best places to ride steep, sustained downhills in the province, and they stay relatively in good shape since they just don't have the same volume of riders as the coast. It's definitely shuttle dominant since they have roads to the top of almost every mountain, but they do have a climbing trail out of Morning Mountain and the aforementioned Mountain Station in town is pedal only too. There's a few other trails not of trailforks that sound pretty worthy, haven't ridden them personally though, and generally the shops are pretty forthcoming with info if you ask politely. Not sure if it's still the case, but the club funds a lot of their work through the sale of their map book, so pick that up in a shop and ask what's running good or what you should check out and you'll likely get the goods.

Awesome info, thanks guys. I'm hoping to ride there one afternoon, and then potentially do two days of shuttles to mix it up a bit. I'll definitely be looking back at this thread when the time gets closer.