Which Hiking/fastpacking Shoes?

We talked about running shoes for a bit, how about light hikers or fastpacking type shoes? I've been using my Altra running shoes for it, but they just fall apart too quick and aren't really tough or stable enough for off trail work or peak bagging. I just had to bail on a loop in the Cascades because my Altras blew up on the side hike to bag Glacier Peak. I've got nerve damage and etc from ski boots, so Altra style foot shape is pretty important. I've looked at the Altra Grafton, but they are leather, which isn't really breathable enough. Are Topo Terraventures tough enough?
    Approach shoes seem to have mostly pointy toes for climbing.
    Hiking boots are pretty heavy and are often leather.
    Running shoes fall apart.

Here's a few things I'm looking for:
    No Leather.
    No Goretex.
    Foot Shape like Altras.
    Zero Drop would be nice.
    Some durability.

Any ideas I'm missing?
    Gravity always wins...

On a wild recommendation I gambled and ordered a pair of Merrell's All Out Blaze Aero Sport. Roomy toe box, zero drop, breathable, have been quite durable. Cons: not a lot of cushion, mesh can let in dust and small particles, fits my weird ass feet (good for me, not so much for normal footed persons). I run in a pair altras for road and Saucony Peregrine for trail (which are a hair too narrow for me).

My running shoes never fell apart on me. Never.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

These are low on cushion but may meet your needs:
    -Bellevue mini-mil boots
    -Joe nimble trail shoes (3-year warranty)

In the store, some of the Altra’s fit my wide/flat forefoot and heel well.

I have both of the above shoes and both have held up well with use. I’ve walked far, run, swam, and done land maintenance in my mini-mils for several years. They took a little bit, but fairy minimal, break-in. I’ve worn out their Vibram soles in the usual places, but the uppers have held up well. The joe nimbles have been great out of the box for me.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Any ideas I'm missing?
    Get the red ones
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks everyone, there’s some interesting new stuff to look at for sure!
    If I’m colorblind will the red ones still be faster/best choice?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Ideally you would want the person looking at the shoes to also be blind

so then neither one of you would know what color the shoes were and so they could be any color
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Did you look at the Altra Lonr Peak or Timp? Also Saucony Peregrine

La Sportiva Ultra Raptor.

Not zero drop.
    I run in Timps but do my long days out 'fastpacking' in the Raptor.

FYI ,for anyone with a really high instep but a normal D width, the Timps are a godsend

I do all my hiking in low shoes. I prefer leather and goretex so I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but I flex shoes in the store and try on the ones with the stiffest soles. I like the protection from rocks and stability. I am currently in Teva Arrowheads, which also has a particularly wide forefoot which is good for my plantar neuroma, maybe even slightly too wide. (They are eVent, not GTX.) So you might want to look at their non-leather, non-waterproof shoes, for your nerve problems.

I think stiffness and support--leather uppers give more support IMO--become more important as you age. The foot muscles weaken like everything else.

I'm really liking the Inov-8 Terraultra G260 right now for fast hiking and ultras. Wide toebox and zero drop check your boxes and the heel lockdown and midfoot fit is much better than most Altras for me. I sometimes put a stone guard (from a pair of old Superiors) in them if I'm going to be out for long in rockier terrain.
    If it is super rocky, or I'm going to end up scrambling then I prefer the La Sportiva Bushido 2, which has a much more locked down fit but probably doesn't meet your requirement for a wide toebox.

I was pretty pumped to try the terraultras, but the sole started peeling on the first run i took, less than 8 miles.
    Maybe a fluke and definitely unfortunate as i liked them otherwise!

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I was pretty pumped to try the terraultras, but the sole started peeling on the first run i took, less than 8 miles.
    Maybe a fluke and definitely unfortunate as i liked them otherwise!
    Were they the graphene or non graphene version? I had 3 pairs of the non graphene version do the same thing - all within 20miles!
    The graphene versions have been solid for me however.

They were graphene! I had high hopes, might have been a manufacturing problem

Gravity always wins...

Well, if it affects your decision, I have had 2 pairs of the graphene versions now with no problems.
    They are definitely my favorite all round trail shoe, but suspect that I might want a bit more protection for a rocky 100miler - TBC.

I've had good luck with Saucony Peregrine. Well over 500 miles on mine. A few wear spots in the mesh, but holding together. Will try the newer Peregrine ISOs once they come down in price. Looking to do a 3 day Wonderland next year so will need something new by then.

Has anyone tried the Inov8 Trailtalon? Looks like it may fit the bill and has a little more cushion, though not zero drop.
    Last edited by phatty; 09-10-2019 at 10:14 AM.

I really liked the thinner Trailtalon (235?) for short distances on mellow terrain, but they are quite minimal.
    The thicker ones (290) seemed a bit odd in terms of fit for me - I couldn't seem to get a good lockdown of the foot which I put down to too much padding. They felt more like an Altra than an Inov8 in many ways. If you wanted something more padded and and with a bit more cushioning underfoot then I think they might be a good option - they certainly seem to have a good following.

Because this thread is over 2 years old?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Excellent answer. Btw, I’ve now killed three pairs of la sportiva ultra raptors, and will continue

Gravity always wins...