Thread: New York info?

New York info?

I have a nephew that is a cadet at West Point. I'm pretty sure this is his last year. He is on the Black Knights parachute team (I think my brother said he was one of the captains this year). The team always parachutes into the stadium at home games and delivers the game ball. My brother asked if I would like to fly out with him to watch him jump and attend the game. We are planning on the September 21 game. Will the leaves be changing colors? Anything I need to see/do? It will just be a quick trip. Fly out Friday morning and back Sunday afternoon. Probably won't spend much time in NYC

I haven't been east for 10 years except for a few business trips that were quick in and out type things.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Do you know where you are staying?

Leaves should be started a little but not close to peak.

The game's against Morgan State so it should be a blowout, and it starts at 12:00, so you should have a few hours of daylight to cruise around. Cold spring is a cool little town almost across the river from West Point but you gotta drive a ways to get to a bridge.

Probably be staying in Manhattan and either renting a car or taking the train

Unless you have a free place to stay, why stay in the city if you don't want to spend any time there?

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Probably be staying in Manhattan and either renting a car or taking the train
    It's an easy ride up there, if you want to look around there you'll need wheels. But if you take the train you can get back to the city by like 5:00 and have time to poke around there and get a good dinner etc. Depends what you want to do.

It's kind of cool to stay in the hotel that's right on campus, I forget the name but it's probably booked anyways. Might be something to look into though.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Unless you have a free place to stay, why stay in the city if you don't want to spend any time there?
    Couldn't tell you. I just asked my brother and that's what he told me. I'm letting him do all the planning but thought it might be nice to offer at least a little input.

There’s a train to West Point?

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I'd get off a bit more north at Fishkill for the swim over. The river is fairly wide at Garrison and the current is strong enough I'd think you need to start the swim a bit upriver to hit WP.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Not much to see. Storm king arts center is neat. Cool sculptures. I'm "local" now and was a ut local for the prior 12 years so if you maybe wanna catch a beer I live in Goshen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quick weekend trip? Spend the time with your family. Let your brother call the shots.

A drive along the Hudson has a lot of historic points of interest. A lot of 100-300 year old buildings line the route. And you'll already be there.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ork-road-trip/

Leaf Peeping. Some maples may be red by then but you never know.

https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Nope

I’m pretty local. What kind of stuff are you after? A half hour south is a newish brewery in Garnerville called Idustrial Arts Brewery. Nice people and really good quality beer. There’s a good bbq place (for NY) called Big Daddy’s on 9w in Haverstraw. There’s hiking in Bear Mountain and Harriman State Park. If your brother has a road bike for you, Seven Lakes Drive or the road to the top of Bear Mountain are good rides. Leaves will be turning but probably not at peak. You can rent a kayak at various places around there. A cool paddle is to put in either just north of a West Point or across the river in Cold Spring and then paddle to Bannerman Island. I wrote up a TR for that one a couple years ago.
    https://nyskiblog.com/bannerman-isla...ur/#more-35708

If you just want a quiet spot to walk around and look at the leaves there’s a defunct ski area in Harriman Park on the edge of Silvermine Lake. The AT goes right through here as well
    https://nyskiblog.com/silvermine-ski-area-hike/

I live close and go by there at least once every two weeks. The leaves are starting to turn early this year but it's not terribly colorful. Staying in the city and doing the round trip doesn't give you much of a Hudson Valley experience but you will get a great view of the Indian Point nuke plant on the way up and back. There's good beer in the area and as mentioned good hiking in the park that's pretty much next door. There's also a ski area on campus but I don't know if you can access it if you're not military or a cadet. I'd want a car to be able to roll around the area and see what there is to see, it's a really pretty and historic area but more so here on the east side of the river than the west side. Iceman hit it with the Cold Spring suggestion.

Yeah, leaves are just starting here, just a little south, so, even though they probably won't be peak, I have a feeling that, if weather is crisp and cool, it will be really nice by then. This is going to be a good foliage season.
    Road biking is superb. We do a "two bridges ride", starting at the Bear Mountain bridge, riding up to Newburgh on the west side of the river, through Storm King, cross on the I84 bridge, and go back down 9 on the east side. Classic.
    But, hang on the campus and enjoy. I experienced a football game there once, pre 9/11, on a fall day, and it was really cool, and I'm not much of a fan. It's a beautiful and historic place. Take a tour. Abuse a freshman. It's a more paranoid place since then (we actually biked through pre 9/11), but, it's a great party.

If, by chance, you like contemporary art, the Dia Beacon in Beacon is a must see. Do not miss the Serra sculptures downstairs.