Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    _____

Had one day in Lockhart while visiting friends in Austin. Was like a pilgrimage. Had to have two lunches so I could get both of these in.

Pig Iron in SODO is respectable though.
    There was a time when if you were in Austin and wanted real BBQ, you had to take a road trip to Lockhart or Taylor (or a few other small towns) to get it.

Fortunately that situation has improved vastly. There are BBQ joints in Austin now that I think are actually better than those Lockhart places. So no need to road trip anymore.

The Schmidt family, who run both Kreuz an Smittys in Lockhart recently opened their own place in Austin. It doesn’t have the same atmosphere as the Lockhart stores, but the food is about the same, and it is only about an average place compared to the other top-end Austin BBQ joints.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    There was a time when if you were in Austin and wanted real BBQ, you had to take a road trip to Lockhart or Taylor (or a few other small towns) to get it.

Fortunately that situation has improved vastly. There are BBQ joints in Austin now that I think are actually better than those Lockhart places. So no need to road trip anymore.

The Schmidt family, who run both Kreuz an Smittys in Lockhart recently opened their own place in Austin. It doesn’t have the same atmosphere as the Lockhart stores, but the food is about the same, and it is only about an average place compared to the other top-end Austin BBQ joints.
    Can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting some BBQ. Glad I hit up Stiles Switch in 2014, I heard one has to stand for hours in the 'Emporium' parking lot these days. It was good, but damn, it wasn't THAT good.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

After all, I actually like the McRib (but that’s not BBQ either)..
    McRibs are good.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I need to get back to Austin, one of my favorite cities to eat and drink my face off. Sooo much good food.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting some BBQ. Glad I hit up Stiles Switch in 2014, I heard one has to stand for hours in the 'Emporium' parking lot these days. It was good, but damn, it wasn't THAT good.
    Stiles Switch is on my list of top Austin BBQ joints. Not as good as some, but right up there. The owner came from Louie Mueller’s in Taylor which is a long time top ranked BBQ place in the state, so he knows his way around a pit.

I’ve never really encountered long lines there, though. Maybe it was during SXSW or ACL?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Benny is talking out of his ass again?
    could be, could also be the economics of things in Boulder, one of the most affluent citys in the US with demand for new restaurants opening monthly, is different than the rural South and can't is more "can't afford"

This is what real BBQ looks like, if you were wondering.

https://www.austinmonthly.com/AM/Sep...erstellar-BBQ/
    This too, if you're in TN or thereabouts, a trip I think about all the time:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...03387-BBQ-trip

A few visuals:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0707.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	293238

Name:	IMAG0709.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	762.5 KB 
ID:	293239

Name:	IMAG0710.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	293240

Name:	IMAG0767.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	617.9 KB 
ID:	293241
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    could be, could also be the economics of things in Boulder, one of the most affluent citys in the US with demand for new restaurants opening monthly, is different than the rural South and can't is more "can't afford"
    Certainly. Profit margins on pizza almost must be a lot higher than BBQ. Wood-less "BBQ" also obviates the need for an experienced pit master which is probably a hudge factor.

After all, I actually like the McRib (but that’s not BBQ either).
    I was mildly electrocuted by a McRib once

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, not really. Even though I'm a NY City boy, I've actually read a bit about BBQ. I find it a fascinating subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I was mildly electrocuted by a McRib once
    Details required.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    This too, if you're in TN or thereabouts, a trip I think about all the time:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...03387-BBQ-trip

A few visuals:

Name:	IMAG0707.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	293238

Name:	IMAG0709.jpg 
Views:	54 
ID:	293239

Name:	IMAG0710.jpg 
Views:	53 
ID:	293240

Name:	IMAG0767.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	617.9 KB 
ID:	293241

That looks a lot like a place around Chattanooga. I did a BBQ tour through TN, GA, AL, MS, and MO in 2013.

Details required.
    I worked at a McDonalds in a town that was a test market for the McRib when it was new. The meat showed up frozen like everything at McDonalds and it was cooked on the grill and then put into a marinator which was basically just a heated pan full of bbq sauce. When somebody asked for McRibs, the grill guy (me) stuck the buns on a metal tray and grabbed the meat from the marinator with a pair of tongs. So the marinator’s plug stopped working at some point and the owner (who thought he was an electrician I guess) repaired it himself but didn’t get it right. It wasn’t grounded correctly. So I went to get some McRibs out of the marinator which was sitting on a metal cart with rubber wheels. The marinator and the cart were fully electrified but I didn’t know that of course. At some point I guess I rested a corner of the tray on the edge of the cart. Next thing I knew I was on my back looking at the ceiling with all my hairs standing on end. My friend who was working up front said I made a noise like I was dying but I didn’t hear it at all, didn’t feel myself fall. Just one second I’m making a McRib and the next I’m on my back. So I got up and kicked the plug out of the outlet. What was really crazy was the tray was spot-welded to the cart. That’s how much electricity hit it. Pretty crazy. And no I didn’t sue but yes I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    That looks a lot like a place around Chattanooga. I did a BBQ tour through TN, GA, AL, MS, and MO in 2013.
    It's Humboldt, TN, but the bottom shot is from a (lesser) place in Alabama. The place in Humboldt is the best I've ever had--36 hours of smoke for their ribs. Complete hole in the wall that we were very lucky to find. Highly, highly recommend. BBQ tour is the best kind of non-ski related trip.
    [quote][//quote]

I worked at a McDonalds in a town that was a test market for the McRib when it was new. The meat showed up frozen like everything at McDonalds and it was cooked on the grill and then put into a marinator which was basically just a heated pan full of bbq sauce. When somebody asked for McRibs, the grill guy (me) stuck the buns on a metal tray and grabbed the meat from the marinator with a pair of tongs. So the marinator’s plug stopped working at some point and the owner (who thought he was an electrician I guess) repaired it himself but didn’t get it right. It wasn’t grounded correctly. So I went to get some McRibs out of the marinator which was sitting on a metal cart with rubber wheels. The marinator and the cart were fully electrified but I didn’t know that of course. At some point I guess I rested a corner of the tray on the edge of the cart. Next thing I knew I was on my back looking at the ceiling with all my hairs standing on end. My friend who was working up front said I made a noise like I was dying but I didn’t hear it at all, didn’t feel myself fall. Just one second I’m making a McRib and the next I’m on my back. So I got up and kicked the plug out of the outlet. What was really crazy was the tray was spot-welded to the cart. That’s how much electricity hit it. Pretty crazy. And no I didn’t sue but yes I should have.
    Damn dude. Wrong thread tho: The Nutrition Science thread
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=320182

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

BBQ

Most whole hog places had a smokehouse, not much to burn down. BBQ is everywhere now, it’s ubiquitous and there’s nothing special about it anymore.

RIP Wilber’s. Been going there since I was a kid. Whole hog, that’s something special. We were excited for our annual pilgrimage on our way to the beach. Found out 30 minutes out that they were closed.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Holy crap! Owner saving money doing his own electrical repairs and endangering employees deserves a special place in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Certainly. Profit margins on pizza almost must be a lot higher than BBQ. Wood-less "BBQ" also obviates the need for an experienced pit master which is probably a hudge factor.
    Yes, hudgely.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Most whole hog places had a smokehouse, not much to burn down. BBQ is everywhere now, it’s ubiquitous and there’s nothing special about it anymore.
    To me this isn't true--yes, BBQ is all over the place these days compared to years ago (I actually never understood why it wasn't more widely appreciated back then), but really good BBQ is still pretty rare. Even in TN, AL, MS, and GA there were pretty big differences between the top places and those that were just OK (and that includes a few places with good reputations that I found lacking compared to the really small places where they're still doing it right).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    It's Humboldt, TN, but the bottom shot is from a (lesser) place in Alabama. The place in Humboldt is the best I've ever had--36 hours of smoke for their ribs. Complete hole in the wall that we were very lucky to find. Highly, highly recommend. BBQ tour is the best kind of non-ski related trip.
    Central BBQ in Memphis smoked their ribs for something like 36 hours as well. Best ribs I've ever had.

Holy crap! Owner saving money doing his own electrical repairs and endangering employees deserves a special place in hell.
    Yup. Along with all those who want fewer state and federal regulations. Workplace safety? Bah humbug.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Vegan Sues Neighbors for Barbecuing in Their Own Backyard Because She 'Can't Go Out There'

“It’s deliberate, that’s what I told the courts, it’s deliberate,” the vegan said in a local news interview.

https://apple.news/AaFMppHk9TUqSMYrWxIE9jQ

fuck yer apple news...

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Central BBQ in Memphis smoked their ribs for something like 36 hours as well. Best ribs I've ever had.
    Yeah, unfortunately we ended up skipping Central in part just because it was so high profile. Mistake. We also had to skip some places as we literally ate BBQ for lunch and dinner six days in a row (I think we had two non-BBQ meals during that stretch) and in the area we covered couldn't possibly sample every worthy one. Reason to go back...
    [quote][//quote]