Anybody running M8000 shifter/derailleur with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette?

Hey all,

This past spring I bought a Sunrace CSMX-80 11-50t cassette to pair with my M8000 derailleur and shifter. In general, the combo has been awesome. However, I've struggled a little bit with the shift from the 11t cog to the 13t cog. I can make it better by adjusting the B screw, but then I can't get into the 50t cog. Recently I was thinking it might be the shift cable - I went ahead and used the one that came with my (used) shifter when I bought it. The cable looked new at the time, but maybe it had already been stretched...

Anybody else running this combo with or without issue? Would a Goat Link or something else improve performance?

Seth

I have a sunrace 11-50 on my bike wtih XT shifter and rear der. (also on a bike with 105 road shifter, XT der, and a wolftooth adapter.

ANY 11 speed is very picky with the B tension. a 1/2 turn can make/break it. Go slow
    make sure hanger is straight
    make sure cable and housing is new/smooth/ no weird bends
    make sure housing can move with suspension
    make sure chain is running correct direction (shimano) and quick link too
    make sure you are using the right extra links in the (dog bone) on the derailer
    make sure hanger is tight on the frame,

and the REALY strange one is I had poor shifting, on 3rd gear, on 2 bikes with same set up. was WAY better when I swapped the new sram chain out and used a new shimano chain. Strange, but was the cure for me

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a look.

When you say "Dog bone" are you meaning the Shimano equivalent of the Goatlink?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    When you say "Dog bone" are you meaning the Shimano equivalent of the Goatlink?
    ya, that extra link thing, at the attachment point of the rear der, that sometimes is needed and sometimes not

+1 for SRAM chain with that set up. Less finicky in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

When the shift from 11 to 13 is not reacting smoothly it means there is too much slack in the shifting system and the cable is not taunt ready to shift.
    This was a very common problem with setting up SRAM when 11 speed was first introduced and the cassettes has 10t cog.
    To help with this shift, make sure you have the limit screw adjusted on the HI. Just because the derailleur naturally stops and rests in the 11t cog position, you still need to close the limit screw to keep some tension on the derailleur and thus keeping a bit of tension on shifter cable. Adjust your limit screw so it just barley shifts into the 11t and then open up the limit screw 1/4 turn. This fix should result in crisp 11t to 13t shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    When the shift from 11 to 13 is not reacting smoothly it means there is too much slack in the shifting system and the cable is not taunt ready to shift.
    This was a very common problem with setting up SRAM when 11 speed was first introduced and the cassettes has 10t cog.
    To help with this shift, make sure you have the limit screw adjusted on the HI. Just because the derailleur naturally stops and rests in the 11t cog position, you still need to close the limit screw to keep some tension on the derailleur and thus keeping a bit of tension on shifter cable. Adjust your limit screw so it just barley shifts into the 11t and then open up the limit screw 1/4 turn. This fix should result in crisp 11t to 13t shifts.
    This is about as clear as it gets on derailleur maintenance explanation. Thanks.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I’d add that when you adjust your H limit, you usually need to adjust your cable tension. As you back out the limit, tension increases and vise-versa.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks all. I'll get the bike on the stand tonight and report back. Good to hear that this is likely an adjustment rather than an equipment incompatibility.