Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Vibes to those affected.

I’m not much of a boater but I thought bilge gas fumes were a common problem. I think I probably read that on this forum previously. Maybe equip malfunction / aged and allowed that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Vibes to those affected.

I’m not much of a boater but I thought bilge gas fumes were a common problem. I think I probably read that on this forum previously. Maybe equip malfunction / aged and allowed that?
    No gasoline, diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    CNN latest reporting is that passengers were not locked below, they were blocked from getting out due to the fire.
    CNN should just shut the fuck up, too, until the investigation is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    https://www.scubaboard.com/community...9-jpeg.538389/

Summit is right. Bunks under the escape hatch might as well be a death trap.
    And that escape hatch leads to the same room that the stairs lead to, the galley. Sounds like it might’ve been fully engulfed before the alarm was sounded, or at least before they could wake up and try to escape. Horrible situation.

Hope the investigation leads to changes that prevent this from ever happening again.

Damn....
    So sad, on so many levels.

I'm just here to wish condolences to people here who have lost someone, indirectly to the family and friends of the deceased, and RIP to those who perished.

And, somehow, some way, healing for those who survived this, PTSD is a bitch.

:::

SJG - please, just stop...

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    SB is still in shock. I went down to the launch ramp today, the entire lot was full of news crews from everywhere in the US. It is the worst maritime accident in the United States during the 21st Century.

My buddy was anchored nearby the Conception and woke up to the mayday call. He launched a dinghy off his sail boat to help find survivors, but there obviously were none. All of the bodies are being identified through DNA kits from family members. There remains a handful of people trapped under the submerged boat, it's terrible.

The Conception and its crew are considered the best of the best when it comes to a dive boat operation. This was just a terrible accident.
    I can't even imagine. The Santa Cruz names of victims are now starting to pop up. This is so heartbreaking.

Along with storing sails and other things, an incident like this is reason enough for a forecastle hatch.

jees, sorry to hear. best wishes.

I bet we'll see some changes in Coast Guard requirements because of this.

Terrible accident. My condolences to all, incl 1000-Oaks.

Made me think of being on our surf charter boat in the Mentawai in Indo in May. Only 9 of us sleeping below deck, but everyone smoking and cooking and no escape hatch in sight. Usual Indo laissez faire attitude, which is part of the joy of Indo - until something goes awfully wrong.

Always thought of cruise ships as floating death traps, but obvious smaller boats too.

I hope things are learned from this, and that crew and victims’ families and loved ones have proper support.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community...9-jpeg.538389/

Summit is right. Bunks under the escape hatch might as well be a death trap.
    It would be interesting to no the requirements for the sleeping quarters of this boat. If two exits were required. I am having a hard time believing the coast guard would sign off on that as an emergency egress. If so that thing will be placarded and lit in the future.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    It would be interesting to no the requirements for the sleeping quarters of this boat. If two exits were required. I am having a hard time believing the coast guard would sign off on that as an emergency egress. If so that thing will be placarded and lit in the future.

It’s business. $650 for a three day overnight, my brother says if you take your spouse or your kid, you could almost justify just going to Hawaii. So, if they took out 20% of the bunks, no one would want to have paid more and the operator would be bankrupt. We’re all guilty.

Those types of divers are sort of weird. I dive, but deep nitrox, cold water, great whites, ain’t my idea of fun.
    Last edited by Cono Este; 09-05-2019 at 05:15 AM.

It’s business. $650 for a three day overnight, my brother says if you take your spouse or your kid, you could almost justify just going to Hawaii. So, if they took out 20% of the bunks, no one would want to have paid more and the operator would be bankrupt. We’re all guilty.

Those types of divers are sort of weird. I dive, but deep nitrox, cold water, great whites, ain’t my idea of fun.
    As no one got out it seems misguided to assume that less people would have died if there were slightly less people. $1300 for a three night trip (maybe you get 3 days of actual diving with a 3 night stay) to Hawaii including hotel, flight, food, transportation, guided dives, etc? I doubt most of the time you could do that for $3k, even if bargain shopping. I think your brother needs to recalibrate his math.

Maybe a fire suppression system in bunks becomes mandatory?

As no one got out it seems misguided to assume that less people would have died if there were slightly less people. $1300 for a three night trip (maybe you get 3 days of actual diving with a 3 night stay) to Hawaii including hotel, flight, food, transportation, guided dives, etc? I doubt most of the time you could do that for $3k, even if bargain shopping. I think your brother needs to recalibrate his math.

Retrofitting a proper secondary egress in a boat like that would cost a lot of money. And it’s $650 plus tax. So my brothers family would run about 3000 bucks. Those are his words. And he goes to Cozumel and Roatan each yr., does mostly beach dives, he is his own guide with 4000 dives. Better diving too.

The people on that boat are mostly dive nerds. It’s not resort types in Cozumel. Advanced divers who spend thousands on gear, and in many cases could and can pay more.

I own a small business, and it’s apart of life. You give you expert advice to people but they want the cheap route, know more than you, and ignore the advice. If you press the issue, they will fuck you in the ass and go with your competitor.

We’re all guilty. We’d all jump in a rusty helicopter to chase pow. Do we just blame the drunk Russian pilot if we go down? BLame the FAA? Hire a lawyer?

Edit. I mean no disrespect to victims. But the only way to drive change, is to demand better safety, and be willing to pay for it.

Fire suppression systems work by removing the oxygen fire needs to exist. Unfortunately it also removes the oxygen that humans need to exist. I don’t think that would be optimal in a bunk room environment.....

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Along with storing sails and other things, an incident like this is reason enough for a forecastle hatch.
    At the very minimum, two exit points will with no doubt be required.

They have recovered all but one body. After the NTSB concludes its visual inspection, I believe they plan to bring the boat back to the surface and tow it to the mainland for further investigations. They estimated a cause of fire will not be officially released by the NTSB for 12-24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    At the very minimum, two exit points will with no doubt be required.

They have recovered all but one body. After the NTSB concludes its visual inspection, I believe they plan to bring the boat back to the surface and tow it to the mainland for further investigations. They estimated a cause of fire will not be officially released by the NTSB for 12-24 months.
    Edit: Here is a link to an interview of the owner of the boat (and Truth Aquatics):

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...a-cruz-island#

Have the names of the deceased been released? I haven't seen it anywhere.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Have the names of the deceased been released? I haven't seen it anywhere.
    This is the latest.

https://www.independent.com/2019/09/...ption-victims/

So a dive buddy of my brothers, and a knarlly dude I dived with Hawaii, was interviewed by the ntsb today. He owned a company that did this type of recovery, and trained the LA police/ fire team that now does it own. He’s still saying lithium camera batteries or VAPE pens.

Why would the ntsb interview him.? What's his name?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

So a dive buddy of my brothers, and a knarlly dude I dived with Hawaii, was interviewed by the ntsb today. He owned a company that did this type of recovery, and trained the LA police/ fire team that now does it own. He’s still saying lithium camera batteries or VAPE pens.
    I thought the owner said the vessel was 100% electric powered. Might it have been something much bigger, hence the insanely quick way the fire spread and engulfed everything before the crew could help anyone get out? Sorry if I've got the facts wrong about it. Please correct me if that's not the case with that boat.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Idk, it doesn't really matter how it happened. Almost three dozen gone, some known by ppl here, on a ship that's been running just fine for 38 years. Life is fragile, appreciate it. Try to help those affected where possible. At minimum be empathetic.
    I mean it does matter. But the rest is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    This is going to change.
    The head of the investigation already hinted towards it.
    Better secondary egress.
    I have been on numerous multiday dive boats off the coast here.
    We don't need handholding.
    That's for the resort divers.
    Fix the egress,isolate the charging station, fire retardant materials in the galley and move on.
    Sad that it takes a tragedy to initiate change.
    We chartered the Sundiver a few years ago.
    A month after our charter they left 3 divers behind in the water.
    Easily could have been us.
    Found 2 alive and 1 is still missing.
    Missing diver was our galley girl.
    Shit happens on a boat.
    Condolences to family and friends of the deceased 😥

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Idk, it doesn't really matter how it happened. Almost three dozen gone, some known by ppl here, on a ship that's been running just fine for 38 years. Life is fragile, appreciate it. Try to help those affected where possible. At minimum be empathetic.
    I'm very impressed by the way the owners and company are handling such an unthinkable tragedy. They immediately suspended all the other vessel operations out of respect for those lost.. but also to be sure they are safe and sound. Knowing exactly what happened, and it sounds like something mechanical and not any human error so far, will make sure everyone is safe going forward. I wish I worked for people who cared more about employees and customers than they do about money.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!