Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    You can’t see it in that video, but here is a quote from the scubaboard with a guy describing the emergency hatch.

“I have been on the Conception overnight a number of times, the last time being January 2019. It is a really nice boat. The owner, Glen, runs a good operation. The crew is good. The bunk area is not that crowded, many dive boats have more narrow aisles. The stairs are narrow but easy to go up and down, they are stairs not a ladder.There is an emergency ladder exit at the back of the bunk area which is always mentioned in the safety briefing. ”

https://www.scubaboard.com/community....584062/page-6

I think 34 people ina panic trying to remember the safety briefing, and even then, squeezing through those companion ways and out a hatch would be maddening. Remember that rhode island night club fire?

I cannot imagine a scenario where the crew would lock the doors/dog the hatches outside of a very serious storm

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    The idea of women and children first in maritime disasters is mostly a myth that perhaps came about from the Titanic sinking.
    Victorian Era mores
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_and_children_first
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Casual bike riding friend of mine is on that boat...just doesn't seem possible that she isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Casual bike riding friend of mine is on that boat...just doesn't seem possible that she isn't coming back.
    Condolences
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

This guy says the hatch was located above the two rear, center bunks. So you had 30 people trying to que up, climb up, and out. Even then, it exited into the galley.

“”If the fire was already fully consuming the galley area, which seems likely based on what has been already been reported, it would be difficult to exit via the stairs through the galley and the alternate would be for people to climb up to either of the upper rear middle bunks (both bunks accessed the same panel) as even the panel exits into the rear of the galley area.“”

Maybe wreckage from the explosion was on top of the escape hatch? The mayday call said "no escape hatch".

sorry for your loss. Right now I see too many conflicting reports in the media. This will be investigated and the facts will come out,
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Sigh. Please, just stop and wait for a full report.

You haven't been around boats much, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    wtf is with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    You’re jumping to conclusions. Seems more likely that he was referring to the condition of the boat post explosion / fire. They couldn’t get out because of where the fire was burning.

I can’t imagine a scenario where the hatches to the cabin would be locked. That’s boating 101.
    The Coast Guard answering the distress call seemed to jump to that conclusion, just repeating what they said..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

How many full tanks of oxygen up on the deck of a dive boat for 30 clients? That might have been a factor causing the crew to panic and bail without first making sure the folks in the berthing compartment were up and out.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    MacBook Pro?
    Too soon?

This whole thing seems so unthinkable. They were only 40 yards from shore. What kind of horrible set of circumstances could result in them being so hopelessly trapped with no chance of escape? Condolences for 1000 Oaks and all the family and friends of these poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    How many full tanks of oxygen up on the deck of a dive boat for 30 clients? That might have been a factor causing the crew to panic and bail without first making sure the folks in the berthing compartment were up and out.
    zero.... scuba divers used compressed air not pure oxygen. Nobody uses pure oxygen.

This whole thing seems so unthinkable. They were only 40 yards from shore. What kind of horrible set of circumstances could result in them being so hopelessly trapped with no chance of escape? Condolences for 1000 Oaks and all the family and friends of these poor souls.
    Fuel explosions on boats are a known hazard. Happens on the regular.....

More sensationalist bullshit. I repeat, wtf is wrong with you?

dumbjongguy delivers as usual. Just can't stop posting every random thought that pops into his head.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    It makes sense that whatever happened in this incident most likely happened too fast for the crew to be of much help. Historically, though, examples of ships crews acting heroically are the exception and most of time it is every man for himself, probably because of our survival instinct.

"What happened on the Titanic seems to have spurred misconceptions about human behavior in disasters," the researchers concluded.

https://phys.org/news/2012-07-shipwr...n-survive.html

Tanks won’t explode, and apparently neither will O2 if they had nitrox equipment. This boat had no propane, and was electric.

This escape hatch was a joke. Fire in the main cabin, night time, panic, most probably didn’t know, or remember it, and pure chaos as people woke up. Those that knew, probably could not get to it.

I was in movie theatre once during a large earth quake, and people were stepping on each other to get out. It’s instinct.

Terrible, tragedy, with what sounds like some amazing people onboard.RIP

More sensationalist bullshit. I repeat, wtf is wrong with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    dumbjongguy delivers as usual. Just can't stop posting every random thought that pops into his head.
    wtf is with you?
    But none of you self righteous asshats said anything about this post?

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    MacBook Pro?
    At least I'm posting serious questions based on actual reports for the most part. It was the fucking distress call responder who "jumped to the conclusion" the hatch was locked fffs. Guess they don't know their way around boats either..

But none of you self righteous asshats said anything about this post?

At least I'm posting serious questions based on actual reports for the most part. It was the fucking distress call responder who "jumped to the conclusion" the hatch was locked fffs. Guess they don't know their way around boats either..

Saw this on the news last night early on. Knew there would be more dead in the morning. Woke to the updated tragedy this am. Heartbreaking news, one of the surviving crew members GF was lost in the fire.

Fucking sucks asshat, what else should I do? Blame the captain?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    zero.... scuba divers used compressed air not pure oxygen. Nobody uses pure oxygen.
    Not true. While you obviously don't dive with pure O2, there would have been at least one if not a couple of pure O2 canisters onboard for medical emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    OK how would that behave under extreme heat? Sorry, just thought about that factor since I watched Jaws for the 0074070943th time for shark week. 30 highly pressurized tanks on a boat on fire seems like a highly volatile situation even if it wasn't O2.

The people on the boat were trapped and dead or dying before any tanks would have exploded. The guy on the boat the crew asked for help said he didn't here any cries for help, that it was quiet. Probably would have mentioned exploding tanks.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

I also read from a past crew member there was a hatch in the showers on the fore deck. Which makes perfect sense.

So obviously the boat went up in flames too fast. That crew had no time, or someone would have made it out.

OK how would that behave under extreme heat? Sorry, just thought about that factor since I watched Jaws for the 0074070943th time for shark week. 30 highly pressurized tanks on a boat on fire seems like a highly volatile situation even if it wasn't O2.

You never listen the guy with the city hands, counting money his whole life.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community...9-jpeg.538389/

Summit is right. Bunks under the escape hatch might as well be a death trap.