Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    So it's a starting point... like wikipedia. Nobody besides a 6th grader would cite it, but it usually gives you a good overview along with sources to start with...

Probably, the laws that govern the license for commercial vessels define anchor or night watch. Usually in statues they have a section that defines things.

Probably a lawyer could look it up, but that would be like 300 dollars an hour.

My point was that its not an arbitrary term left to interpretation.

The phrase is clearly defined in relation to commercial vessels and licensing requirements somewhere.
    No, it's not even a starting point.

Look, as a lawyer who doesn't practice maritime law and knows nothing about this area of law, I wouldn't dream of calling it a starting point, or claiming that because it's defined in the law dictionary that it must be defined in statute/regs and not be an ambiguous term. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. A law dictionary doesn't mean much except in limited circumstances.

Statutes and regs often do have a definitions section. You'd be amazed at how often those sections don't define the term that is important to you when you're looking at an issue. And even when they do, the definition is frequently unsatisfying or not dispositive, and you still spend time arguing about what the definition means.

If you want to keep insisting that the definition in the law dictionary is the answer here or even a starting point, knock yourself out. But I'm telling you the law dictionary means very little. In my 15+year career, I've had one, maybe two issues where the definition there was up for debate, and even for those it was one citation among many, because when it comes to legal arguments, you can't hang your hat on what Black's Law Dictionary says. And it's very rarely where any lawyer would turn when starting to research a new issue.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That is absolutely false. The US Navy uses the terms Port and Starboard when referring to the navigation of a ship.

They do use right and left for non-navigation related items, "Sailor ! Hold that signal flag in your right hand !" (they don't call it your starboard hand...)

Signed,
    former Naval Lieutenant Harry

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    So it’s not “right full rudder”?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Reverse starboard engine

One ping only, vasili
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Reverse starboard engine

One ping only, vasili
    Yeah, I know starboard and port are used for other things, but I think the helmsman rudder commands are what people point to when they say there’s a difference between the US Navy and other Navies. But, like goat, I only have second hand info.

I was in the coast guard and we certainly used port and starboard for helm commands.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Unlike left and right, "port" and "starboard" refer to fixed locations on a vessel.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Reverse starboard engine

One ping only, vasili
    One
    Ping

Onleh
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    You know, I wondered about that at the time. But back then my job was to follow orders, not question them.

But you do have a very valid point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Probably not the right thread to be arguing over this, anyway.

Vibes to my former neighbors in Santa Cruz who lost family and friends in this tragic event.