Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm very impressed by the way the owners and company are handling such an unthinkable tragedy. They immediately suspended all the other vessel operations out of respect for those lost.. but also to be sure they are safe and sound. Knowing exactly what happened, and it sounds like something mechanical and not any human error so far, will make sure everyone is safe going forward. I wish I worked for people who cared more about employees and customers than they do about money.
    The owner is well known and well loved; as is his entire dive/sport boat operation and employees. No one in the community would have expected anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    So a dive buddy of my brothers, and a knarlly dude I dived with Hawaii, was interviewed by the ntsb today. He owned a company that did this type of recovery, and trained the LA police/ fire team that now does it own. He’s still saying lithium camera batteries or VAPE pens.
    I can't see it. It wouldn't have accelerated to the point that nobody had a chance to escape. I say explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I can't see it. It wouldn't have accelerated to the point that nobody had a chance to escape. I say explosion.
    That's what lithium batteries do when abused

I was reading some nerdy stuff explaining how throwing water, and even sand, on a lithium fire just accelerates it! People in labs have some kind of special shit they use.

35 people? Probably a few pounds of camera batteries charging side by side on a rusty electrical system in a 40 yr old boat.

Something to think aabout, just ask boeing.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    We chartered the Sundiver a few years ago.
    A month after our charter they left 3 divers behind in the water.
    Easily could have been us.
    Found 2 alive and 1 is still missing.
    Missing diver was our galley girl.
    Shit happens on a boat.
    Lol bullshit that is not shit happens
    No excuse to leave a diver behind much less 3
    Brass in brass out and check the brass
    Negligence
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Idk, it doesn't really matter how it happened. Almost three dozen gone, some known by ppl here, on a ship that's been running just fine for 38 years. Life is fragile, appreciate it. Try to help those affected where possible. At minimum be empathetic.
    werd.

speculation out there pointing finger at cellphone charging station and a battery explosion there seems plausible; so many crappy charger cables/etc available out there that aren't safe/frauds etc that people can unknowingly buy and smartphone batterys are easily the most abused Li ones out there in common use.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Lol bullshit that is not shit happens
    No excuse to leave a diver behind much less 3
    Brass in brass out and check the brass
    Negligence
    you, i, brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I was reading some nerdy stuff explaining how throwing water, and even sand, on a lithium fire just accelerates it! People in labs have some kind of special shit they use.

35 people? Probably a few pounds of camera batteries charging side by side on a rusty electrical system in a 40 yr old boat.

Something to think aabout, just ask boeing.

LiPo phone batteries...

Wait for NTSB/CG.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Fire suppression systems work by removing the oxygen fire needs to exist. Unfortunately it also removes the oxygen that humans need to exist. I don’t think that would be optimal in a bunk room environment.....
    Some fire suppression systems work that way. Many modern clean agent systems are designed to be used in rooms that are occupied.

So how do you put one out if it catches on fire? And what constitutes abuse?

Class D extinguisher...,

Class D extinguisher...,
    Cool, this one says it's portable, I'll just carry it around with me in case my phone ignites.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Some fire suppression systems work that way. Many modern clean agent systems are designed to be used in rooms that are occupied.
    ZZZ knows of what he speaks.....Vibes to the victims and families. Everyone MMQBing, until and unless you’ve zipped up the body bag, please stop.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Cool, this one says it's portable, I'll just carry it around with me in case my phone ignites.

TSA might have concerns.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    speculation out there pointing finger at cellphone charging station and a battery explosion there seems plausible; so many crappy charger cables/etc available out there that aren't safe/frauds etc that people can unknowingly buy and smartphone batterys are easily the most abused Li ones out there in common use.
    Hard to imagine what else could have caused it. The boat had a diesel motor, so it wasn’t gasoline fumes. Probably get a big clue when the preliminary report comes out within 10 days. Although have to wait for the final report for the definitive answer.

Tragic event, hard to process

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    unless you’ve zipped up the body bag, please stop.
    Condolences to those that have lost

Class D extinguisher...,
    that is interesting. the coast guard does not require class D. that will be changing. My friend lost a boat with a crewman death this summer. I know of 3 other boat fires this season one with serious injuries this week. Pay attention to the safety briefing.
    off your knees Louie

maybe a bit too soon.

Class D extinguisher...,
    Missed this one last night, you're full of misinformation. A standard ABC extinguisher is the choice for Lithium battery fires.

Even if it was lithium batteries, it still seems that the galley must have been full of combustible materials to go up like that. So what was the galley made of, wood and textiles?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    maybe a bit too soon.
    Maybe so, but the point was, the idea that we're all walking around with things that can randomly catch fire in our pockets, or on our boats, and that if they do catch fire there's not a reasonable way to extinguish them without a special extinguisher, is sobering and deserves attention.

I was on a flight about a year ago and my phone got smoking hot, I was literally barely able to touch it. It was in the seat pocket and I didn't realize it until I smelled something weird. I was able to turn it off and it cooled down but what if it had ignited? Are there Class D extinguishers on planes? I wouldn't have had any idea what to do except call for help from an attendant. Maybe we should do something about this.

But yeah, probably too soon.

Maybe so, but the point was, (snip)

Good thread subject on its own really.

Maybe so, but the point was, the idea that we're all walking around with things that can randomly catch fire in our pockets, or on our boats, and that if they do catch fire there's not a reasonable way to extinguish them without a special extinguisher, is sobering and deserves attention.

I was on a flight about a year ago and my phone got smoking hot, I was literally barely able to touch it. It was in the seat pocket and I didn't realize it until I smelled something weird. I was able to turn it off and it cooled down but what if it had ignited? Are there Class D extinguishers on planes? I wouldn't have had any idea what to do except call for help from an attendant. Maybe we should do something about this.

Yeah, but, besides the Samsung thing recently, how many times do these things actually combust? Considering the billions out there, wouldn't that be news if only a few burned?

Yeah, but, besides the Samsung thing recently, how many times do these things actually combust? Considering the billions out there, wouldn't that be news if only a few burned?
    Once on a boat seems to be enough. Wouldn’t want to be on a plane.