Hurricane Ridge Olympic Nat'l Park WA

If you've never made it to the Washington Olympics because they seem too far and remote why not take a drive to Port Angeles and up to Hurricane Ridge for a taste of what this amazing coastal range has to offer. Maybe it will inspire you to hike the Bailey Range, a hike my family did on several occasions. It was my father's favorite hike.

View of the Bailey Range from south side of Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center.

365 Things To Do In Washington State

#244 - Plan to visit the most easily accessible mountain area within Olympic National Park. Just 20 miles up the hill from Port Angeles, Washington, Hurricane Ridge is stunning any time of the year! (Photo via ScenicWA)
    Visit Port Angeles
    Olympic Peninsula

Hurricane Ridge is a mountainous area in Washington's Olympic National Park. Approximately 18 miles by road from Port Angeles, the ridge is open to hiking, skiing, and snowboarding and is one of the two most visited sites in the national park. At an elevation of 5,242 feet, Hurricane Ridge is a year-round destination
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I was fortunate to hike the Bailey traverse, with a couple days in Stephen basin, 10 years ago... Sol Duc to Quinault.. 65 miles. It was an amazing trip.. Ferry basin is a magical.. spiritual place.

Eleven Bulls basin beneath Carrie.. Southern Baileys in distance.. Olympus dominates this route

Olympus across the Hoh valley

Ferry basin.. Lake Billy Everett

Highly recommend this trek to anyone in good shape with proper experience and good route finding skills..
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Bump - any suggestions for a 10-15mi day hike in the Olympics? Ideally a loop that passes through some alpine lakes with some good views, hopefully away from the crowds... We are staying on the north side of the peninsula...

I was looking at Looping the Little Divide Trail...

Thanks - Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just hiked the Mink Lake trail last Saturday as an out and back. Hiked past the lake to the Bogachiel trail, took a right (you would go left to do the loop) and headed sw to point 4,304 where you can see Olympus from a small clearing

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...5bf7725811450a

Didn't see anyone past Mink Lake. If you do the loop, it will be mostly empty until you hit Deer Lake. Then it will be packed. Sol Duc falls TH was packed with most wearing masks. The Olympics are as crowded as I have ever seen them right now. If you go on the premier hikes with the premier views, expect heavy crowds. Find the less traveled trails for solitude.

Haven't hiked in the high Olympics. We did hike up the Ho River in a downpour in an obviously hopeless bid to at least see Mt. Olympus if not climb it. Wound up having to move our campsite in the middle of the night as the river rose and threatened to strand us on an island. Next time we might go for a drier hike.