Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alpride Super Cap 30 E1 airbag pack

anyone seen or used this (scroll down on the link)? Same E1 super capacitor as the Scott and BD packs. Not distributed in the US but presumably can order... Slightly larger and lighter than the BD, and with the exchange rate significantly cheaper. If it carries as well as the BD, and is actually larger, I'd love to check one out...

https://www.alpride.com/products?fbc...x02K29CIHvSs0U

None of the European contingent here has seen this pack? Bummer...

I'm not sure if the Alpride pack is available yet - I don't know anyone who is stocking it in the UK/Europe and the only thing that comes up in a Google search is a few reviews and Alpride's own website.

The Scott pack is excellent and is 30L so bigger again and sold like hot cakes last season - it's the only product that sold faster than the Shift bindings. I pre-sold all my Scott E1's before they arrived and have almost done the same this season. I ship worldwide if you want one.

I'm pretty sure it was out last winter, but maybe not distributed very much. This year they are releasing a 40 liter version as well, and maybe a smaller stripped down "ultralight" type version. The Scott one seems pretty good, but the layout of the pack (pretty small avy gear pocket in particular) seems less than ideal, and the lack of a padded waist belt turns me off...

Avy gear pocket is plenty big enough - it might appear short in length but the bottom of the pocket has velcro openings so that the probe and shovel handle go right through in to the bottom of the pack.

Non-padded waist band not an issue either. I previously had the Scott RAS pack and then the Scott Alpride gas pack, both with padding, and I can't tell the difference. S'pose if they're trying to shed wait ten the padding is the first thing to go.

The Scott avi gear pocket has a tendency to let stuff come out. I have to be careful not loose anything. Considering everything in that pocket is critical, it should be more secure.

I was skeptical on it's lack of a padded waist belt, but I can't complain. The pack carries very well. I never liked diagonal ski carry but I love it on the Scott. The only thing I really wish it had is a floating lid. I bought a BD cirque lid to try to sew it on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    The Scott avi gear pocket has a tendency to let stuff come out. I have to be careful not loose anything. Considering everything in that pocket is critical, it should be more secure......
    Admittedly the velcro flap isn't that big but it still secures my shovel blade, shovel handle and probe. I've never had anything fall out. The only way for that to happen would be to pick the pack up with the lid folded open/completely back - in which everything in the pack would fall out.

The shovel handle and probe often work their way out of the flap. In deep 3D snow the lid can sink and end up down. I am careful, but it could be better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Anyone handle the 40L version?

I'm really torn between pack design (Mammut packs work for me) and the super capacitor tech (whose pack design is an unknown).

It's one thing to take a flyer on a $200 pack and quite another to do so on a $1k product.

If only I could handle the Scott packs in th flesh.

What I find odd about all too many online pack reviews is that they tend to forget that they're reviewing a ... PACK (focusing on the airbag system).

[edit] after a ton of googling, it looks as if the Patrol 40 is a righteous design, complete with a gear loop, along with daisy chains in the back.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-24-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Anyone handle the 40L version?

I'm really torn between pack design (Mammut packs work for me) and the super capacitor tech (whose pack design is an unknown).

It's one thing to take a flyer on a $200 pack and quite another to do so on a $1k product.

If only I could handle the Scott packs in th flesh.

What I find odd about all too many online pack reviews is that they tend to forget that they're reviewing a ... PACK (focusing on the airbag system).

[edit] after a ton of googling, it looks as if the Patrol 40 is a righteous design, complete with a gear loop, along with daisy chains in the back.

... Thom
    Well, my friend got 30L pack last year and I've seen it in use. Overall it's a nice backpack but it has some flaws. Fan placement itself is a bit strange - it's almost in the middle of the pack, so it eats lot of space and top-bottom packing is not very comfortable - you have to open the whole back part. I have jetforce pack atm and location of the fan there is much better.
    Other thing that I disliked is that avy section part of pack. The wall between avy section and main section is from very thin nylon, I can easily imagine how it will rip from shovel in an accidental fall. Also things in main section can be damaged or scratched by avy gear.
    Also some articles very fairly noticed that E1 is less user friendly than jetforce. You have to remember to turn on that switch on the system, colored blinker is placed at the bottom, so there is no way to check if the system is turned on and operating, other than ask a friend or take backpack off and wait for a blink. On a jetforce you can just open you shoulder strap and check everything by looking on airbag handle.
    Once again, comparing to BD, the belt is not that great, it lacks that pivot-feature of BD that I find really useful.

On the positive side, at -15F my jetforce side panel freezed to the cable and that lead to failure of airbag deployment while alpride worked flawlessly. Exterior material of backpack is pretty much sturdy, at least on point with Black diamonds. Zipper on Scott looked beefy. I also love the A-mount, which is much more comfortable comparing to diagonal IMO. As you mentioned, it has gear loops, so diagonal mount is possible. And what is a deal breaker for me is a detachable fan and significantly lower weight. That's why I'm planning to switch. Also new BD backpacks with E1 look absolutely ugly

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Well, my friend got 30L pack last year and I've seen it in use. Overall it's a nice backpack but it has some flaws. Fan placement itself is a bit strange - it's almost in the middle of the pack, so it eats lot of space and top-bottom packing is not very comfortable - you have to open the whole back part. I have jetforce pack atm and location of the fan there is much better.
    Other thing that I disliked is that avy section part of pack. The wall between avy section and main section is from very thin nylon, I can easily imagine how it will rip from shovel in an accidental fall. Also things in main section can be damaged or scratched by avy gear.
    Also some articles very fairly noticed that E1 is less user friendly than jetforce. You have to remember to turn on that switch on the system, colored blinker is placed at the bottom, so there is no way to check if the system is turned on and operating, other than ask a friend or take backpack off and wait for a blink. On a jetforce you can just open you shoulder strap and check everything by looking on airbag handle.
    Once again, comparing to BD, the belt is not that great, it lacks that pivot-feature of BD that I find really useful.

On the positive side, at -15F my jetforce side panel freezed to the cable and that lead to failure of airbag deployment while alpride worked flawlessly. Exterior material of backpack is pretty much sturdy, at least on point with Black diamonds. Zipper on Scott looked beefy. I also love the A-mount, which is much more comfortable comparing to diagonal IMO. As you mentioned, it has gear loops, so diagonal mount is possible. And what is a deal breaker for me is a detachable fan and significantly lower weight. That's why I'm planning to switch. Also new BD backpacks with E1 look absolutely ugly
    Thanks for those observations. I get that it's tough for a manufacturer to be all things to all people.

Me? I'm with you. For an $1,100 product, it should be able to take a beating (i.e. more robust material between the tool section and main compartment) I get that they're faced with satisfying the gram counters and this no doubt puts them between a rock and a hard place.

I picked up a small BD pack for sidecountry ventures (Dawn Patrol 15) and the clusterfuck of zippers was really confusing. I took Mammut's lead by changing out the zipper pull for the main compartment zipper, replacing it with some 3mm cord that I covered with red heat shrink. It's a minor nit, but sometimes these things add up.

Leo Fender developed the perfect guitar on his second try (the Stratocaster ... although I love my Teles ). He got real world feedback from real guitarists and applied the changes. Maybe BD, Scott and others should reconsider their beta test crew

So, the new BD Jetforce only comes in 26L (which I'm guessing nets out to 23L)?

All in all, I'm leaning toward the E1 Patrol 40 ... I really like the daisy chains on the rear, and after subtracting 2-3 L for the E1 system, it comes in at a couple of liters larger than my Mammut Nirvana 35 pack which is pretty much a Goldilocks size for me.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

@Spyderjon - are you getting access to the 40L version (Patrol E1 40)?

Side note: I noticed that Scott is following Mammut's R.A.S. model, with the Alpride system being user transferable to compatible packs.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-26-2019 at 01:04 AM.
    Galibier Design

HukuTa_KydecHuk - Im not clear, did your friend get the 30L Scott pack, or 30L Alpride pack?

Scott. Never seen the Alpride version for sell anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    @Spyderjon - are you getting access to the 40L version (Patrol E1 40)?.....
    Yes, my avi pack order from Scott arrives tomorrow.

However you're too late as I've already pre-sold all of my 22L and 40L packs in both the full E1 system and the packs only. And Scott are now completely sold out as well so I can't get any more of either of the 22L or 40L versions. The only way you can get them is to find a retailer that still has some unsold stock.

The only packs I have left unsold from my order are a few 30L full E1 system packs and they'll be gone by the end of next week but there's some more 30L full E1 system packs apparently becoming available mid Oct so I've got first dibs in with my Scott rep for those.

Thanks, Jon. I'd better act quickly, especially if I decide to hunt down a 40L on this side of the pond.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-27-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Galibier Design

Just had a call from my Scott rep and I've got the drop on another six full 40L E1 system packs that were originally destined for a European dealer - I'll know for definite in a week.

Bumping ...

Your pricing is amazing Jon, and we all know your service is second to no one.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

The prices are really amazing!

OK, last time I'm going to bump this, I promise. But now that the season is actually up and rolling just thought I'd see if anyone has actually see the Alpride SuperCap 30...

On the Scott E1 packs, the system isn't swappable, right? That's a deal killer for me, as is the lack of backpanel access. A carabiner clip on the hipbelt is a really nice feature it's lacking as well (sidecountry). Also lacking a good spot to attach the BCA radios. The 22 also seems pretty heavy and bulky for a smaller pack.

Agree that you can either pick good tech (supercap) or good pack design (Mammut) at the moment. Leaning towards good pack design, myself.

The Scott E1 system IS swappable and Scott offer compatible packs (only) in 22L, 30L and 40L.

Design features are personal. Back panel access not possible with the Scott as it has an excellent built-in back protector which I really like as in addition to the protection it ensures that the pack retains its shape, especially when running light.

I don't use a radio but I've a couple of E1 customers that do and they've attached them to the trigger mounting loops in the shoulder strap on the non-trigger side.

There's never going to be that much weight saving going from the 30L to 22L when the E1 system is a constant, just like there's very little penalty when swapping the system from the 30L pack to the 40L for 'big' trips. I've only sold the 22L to small framed people as otherwise there's really no benefit to it compared to using the 30L which compresses down well when running light, especially as they're the same price.

In the UK, were the majority of skiers are flying, then the hassle free benefit of the E1 system is a winner.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 12-14-2019 at 02:54 AM.

wilcox510, I've not seen the Alpride pack available anywhere in the UK/EU except on the Alpride website. The info on their website isn't great and it looks bulky (front to back depth) compared to the Scott which is 2L bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The Scott E1 system IS swappable and Scott offer compatible packs (only) in 22L, 30L and 40L.
    They really should advertise that feature and offer pack-only. It's not mentioned anywhere in any literature or website that I've seen. Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    They really should advertise that feature and offer pack-only. It's not mentioned anywhere in any literature or website that I've seen. Shocking.
    Yep, their marketing sucks.

Just sold a 40L E1 which was collected from my shop and the 40L does have a carabiner loop of the left waist strap and a pocket on the right waist strap.

I've PM'd you some mates rates on the Scott packs
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 12-14-2019 at 11:21 AM.