Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks, looks like the Scott makes the biggest one with most options to rig extra stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Scott 40 carries very well
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hi all.. Just my $0.02..

I skied with the Osprey 32 Pro (E1) this winter and liked it, but when having to add Crampons/Ice Axes and my DSLr, I started running out of space in the backpack (without packing it too much).

I actually ordered both the Scott 40 Patrol E1 as well as the SuperCap 40, and to be honest, I feel like there's a massive difference in volumes between the two (I think SuperCap might be 40 *with* the airbag whereas the Scott is a 40 *without the system*). To be very honest, the way the main zipper operates on the Scott, I had a hard time packing much more into it than my existing Osprey Soelden 32 (which I think is 32 *with the system*, so technically not a massive difference between the two?).

Anyway, the 40 Scott ended up not being that much bigger and the SuperCap felt like a massive backpack (only for multiday tours I think), not to mention how big it'd be if I removed the Airbag.. It also doesn't compress as well as the Scott and the Osprey when it isn't filled to the brim - most specifically its top part (the sides compress well). I ended up returning both and might look for some new designs in the next year..

Hope that helps anyone pick a pack. I might look to Mammut's Pro X Removable but I don't like the idea of canisters for travelling in the future (this is why I tried the E1).

Also, the E1 system (especially in the Osprey pack) is an absolute bitch to remove from the Soelden - the loops on the metal hooks attaching the system are so tight that I had to use pliers to uninstall it - it really scares me to think I could buy a different pack and swap the system too often.

The stated volumes of the range Scott E1 packs is without the E1 system installed so you'll loose 2-3 litres when the system is installed. I've only had (extensive) experience with the Scott E1 packs but with all of them it's really easy to swap the system over - no more than a few minutes. On the Scott packs the knack with the toggle'n'loop attachments is to push the toggle to one side then it can be rotated/swiveled out.

Having used my scott e1 40 more, I'll note...
    - good fitting pack, hugs pretty close to your body, skis well
    - also good lash points and daisy loops
    - bad diagonal system (I may have already posted this); skis are basically vertical and will bang your legs (silly)
    - like spyderjon says, it fits smaller than 40 for sure. And both main and avy pockets are also oddly cumbersome to close up. It barely fits my 300mm probe and bd shovel
    - I can't figure out the charging (seems inconsistent) but basically need to re-charge after a day of having it on - seems odd that battery drains just being on in standby

^ I don't even turn mine off and lithium batteries last 4-5 months

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Having used my scott e1 40 more, I'll note...
    - good fitting pack, hugs pretty close to your body, skis well....
    +1

.........also good lash points and daisy loops.......
    +1

........bad diagonal system (I may have already posted this); skis are basically vertical and will bang your legs (silly)......
    I've never used the diagonal carry as it pulls me back too much. If I have to carry then I prefer the A frame (or more like parallel carry) as the benefit outweighs the bit of extra time to affix etc. Plus with the Scott packs the airbag will still deploy

.......And both main and avy pockets are also oddly cumbersome to close up. It barely fits my 300mm probe and bd shovel........
    I've never had any issues with the zips but if the airbag zip has been undone/opened you need to return the pull-tab back down one side of the zip instead of trying to reverse it down both sides. Re the shovel/probe pocket. Are you aware that the bottom of the pocket is closed with velcro tabs which can be opened to allow the end of the probe and shovel handle to go straight through?

..........I can't figure out the charging (seems inconsistent) but basically need to re-charge after a day of having it on - seems odd that battery drains just being on in standby
    That is not right at all. The fully charged E1 system (which is a supercapacitor not lithium batteries) should hold its charge for weeks/months. I sold one pack that was similar to yours from new and I had it replaced under warranty straightaway. I suggest that you do the same.

Hey cannot start a thread yet, so just bumping this one for a couple of quick questions about the Scott 30 specifically.

Wondering if anyone has any further input into does the airbag zipper pop open if the compression straps are really cinched down, any discomfort with a snug waistband, as it doesn’t seem too padded around to the front, and as I cannot try on before I order shipped to here, sounds like a normal length is good to go for a regular scrawny 6’ person? Thanks very much for your time! Good powder to you!

Quote Originally Posted by germs View Post
    Hey cannot start a thread yet, so just bumping this one for a couple of quick questions about the Scott 30 specifically.

Wondering if anyone has any further input into does the airbag zipper pop open if the compression straps are really cinched down, any discomfort with a snug waistband, as it doesn’t seem too padded around to the front, and as I cannot try on before I order shipped to here, sounds like a normal length is good to go for a regular scrawny 6’ person? Thanks very much for your time! Good powder to you!
    The airbag zipper occasionally pops open, but the airbag doesn’t spill out and it’s not really a hassle to put it back in place once in a while.

I’m 5’11”, 160lbs with a 32” waist and it fits quite well on me. I also thought the waistband could use more padding but it’s never been an issue for me—the pack is light so it doesn’t need to be as padded.

To my surprise the zipper never popped even when I had 70m of rope + glacier gear rigged on the pack with the .compression straps.

The waistband is just webbing no padding at all. Can't complain.

Thanks Skeeze and Cocximus. That’s pretty much what I had read and heard. May diy modify the waistband if it’s uncomfortable on my boney frame, and put a pouch on it, but otherwise it seems good to go.

Appreciate the time you took to reply. Thanks again.

Massive thanks to SpyderJon for the hookup on the 40L pack sans kit (which was unobtainium from shops I called). 30L w/ E1 kit en route -- should get ample testing of both this year. Hoping the 30L will cover light touring days / inbounds work, and the 40L can cover days that require crampons/ice axe/more food/booze.