Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bottled Water? Worse than Hitler?

There is a proposal to build a plant here in Golden and from the reaction of some people that would be like sleeping with Hitler. Yes plastic bottles are bad but I think the idea that we should take away consumer choice is pushing the line. Practically if water is not a choice then are people supposed to buy pop( soda). Also the opponents are pushing the idea that these bottling plants are using up vast amounts of water whereas in reality they are more like a drop in a swimming pool. Did my own calc and the largest bottling plant in BC yearly flow is equal to 98 seconds of the flow of the river that flows near the plant .
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

2 words, Canned water.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

They bag milk up there. Why not water?

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    2 words, Canned water.
    or boxed. Either works fine. They're canning wine ffs!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Do they not have clean tap water in Canada. Fuck the consumer choice thing. You don’t need 80 bottles things to choose from to have a quality life. Just get your water from the tap and stop complaining about that. If it ain’t crystal enough for you, but a good filtration system. So yeah, building a plant to package and transport water is a bad idea. It creates jobs in the short run and contributes to global environmental detestation in the long run.

Plastic bags were just outlawed in CT the week we were up there visiting family.
    The dumbass Governor thought he would charge $.10 tax on plastic bags. The grocery stores took all plastic out of the stores and sold PAPER bags for $.10. Capitalism wins again.

I though paper bags were killing the rainforests? Now they are fine?

I started using paper again- we reuse them a million times, and they fit a ton more groceries.

Everyone here was freaking out there is no bottled water left at the stores because of the hurricane coming. They seem to forget that water comes out of your faucet too. Not sure when the bottled water became the only water you should ever drink.

Bottled water facilities are really plastic bottle manufacturing facilities. Not as bad as Hitler, but close.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hemp bottles is the solution here..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

Everyone here was freaking out there is no bottled water left at the stores because of the hurricane coming. They seem to forget that water comes out of your faucet too. Not sure when the bottled water became the only water you should ever drink.

Storms can contaminate reservoirs and purification facilities...So even if you're on a gravity system and your water is not pumped with electric pumps (like mine), a big storm can interrupt your tap water supply.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Storms can contaminate reservoirs and purification facilities...So even if you're on a gravity system and your water is not pumped with electric pumps (like mine), a big storm can interrupt their tap water supply.
    I feel like they could fill something up beforehand but I could be wrong.

Storms can contaminate reservoirs and purification facilities...So even if you're on a gravity system and your water is not pumped with electric pumps (like mine), a big storm can interrupt their tap water supply.
    20 years of experience living in Kakalaki, 150 miles from the coast, along with plenty of hiking and camping experience says..
    1) That's nothing that boiling or a couple drops of bleach won't resolve to make it potable
    2) This far inland our city water infrastructure is sound enough with generators and power wall backups so that even losing electricity throughout the entire area for 10 days, our tap water flows uninterrupted and clean through everything so far knock knock.
    3) You can also put a clean 40 gallon trash bin out back to catch water from the sky during the storm and use the things mentioned in #1 to get through until city water is back online or your well pump is working again.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    20 years of experience living in Kakalaki, 150 miles from the coast, along with plenty of hiking and camping experience says..
    1) That's nothing that boiling or a couple drops of bleach won't resolve to make it potable
    2) This far inland our city water infrastructure is sound enough with generators and power wall backups so that even losing electricity throughout the entire area for 10 days, our tap water flows uninterrupted and clean through everything so far knock knock.
    3) You can also put a clean 40 gallon trash bin out back to catch water from the sky during the storm and use the things mentioned in #1 to get through until city water is back online or your well pump is working again.
    So....Instead of plastic bottles, people need to go buy a clean plastic garbage bin and line it with some black plastic bags to have potable water after a hurricane rips out their water and sanitary sewer lift pumps?
    And failing this (or if that new empty polyethylene garbage can blows away before the eye wall crosses...), they can burn storm debris to boil puddle water for baby formula?
    Nice.

fuckin sjg, yeesh

So....Instead of plastic bottles, people need to go buy a clean plastic garbage bin and line it with some black plastic bags to have potable water after a hurricane rips out their water and sanitary sewer lift pumps?
    And failing this (or if that new empty polyethylene garbage can blows away before the eye wall crosses...), they can burn storm debris to boil puddle water for baby formula?
    Nice.
    Most people around here fill their bathtubs with water for the most critical needs. There are dozens of options, all preferable to bottles which will be here hundreds of years after your baby has died of old age.

Another good practice is refilling containers that were already used for other purposes.. I already mentioned filling gallon milk jugs and freezing them to keep your food from spoiling when your fridge has no electricity for 5 days. Guess what that ice becomes when it thaws??? WATER!

Bow down to our plastic overlords.

Most people around here fill their bathtubs with water for the most critical needs. There are dozens of options, all preferable to bottles which will be here hundreds of years after your baby has died of old age.

Another good practice is refilling containers that were already used for other purposes.. I already mentioned filling gallon milk jugs and freezing them to keep your food from spoiling when your fridge has no electricity for 5 days. Guess what that ice becomes when it thaws??? SOURMILKWATER!!!

And so that new thermopolymeric garbage bin will still be holding storm water and breeding mosquitoes for less time than plastic bottles, somehow?

There was a big kerfuffle here that lasted the better part of 2 years over a farmer who wanted to use his irrigation water right to pull water out of the aquifer and bottle it with the help of Nestle. People were not happy. It did not happen and that's a good thing IMO.

Washington mayor resigns amid bottled-water dispute

Waitsburg to Nestlé: No thanks
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Bottled Water? Worse than Hitler?

Fuck Nestlé.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Fuck Nestlé.
    Yeah, that's kinda what the people of Waitsburg said. Though that fact that the Mayor was negotiating behind the town's back wasn't so great either. This article goes into a bit more detail. This was Nestle's second attempt in a year to get their paws on Northwest water. Cascade Locks (Hood River) was the first try and that ended up in court.

In Waitsburg, A Proposed Water Bottling Plant Creates Division
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Standard procedure for those assholes. I started following them when they went after McCloud water. https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/ne...oud-california

And so that new thermopolymeric garbage bin will still be holding storm water and breeding mosquitoes for less time than plastic bottles, somehow?
    They actually come with covers. Again, only for emergency situations. You can bring it inside after the storm too. You can use it over and over each storm for a decade or more. Way better than one use plastic bottles.

And, I speak from experience. Worst storm aftermath I've been through was 10 days power down with a 3 month old baby. You're pleas of but baby formula don't sway me because our grom is living proof you don't need a bunch of bottled water for these situations..

Actually the water is going to China in glass bottles . So not great but the transport may be pretty low carbon as will go back in empty containers . So if your community does want a bottles water plant then shouldn't it ban bottled water? But then why not reduce choice some more with pop? ( soda for the southerners) yes whataboustism but isn't pop just water with some sugar.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

They actually come with covers. Again, only for emergency situations. You can bring it inside after the storm too. You can use it over and over each storm for a decade or more. Way better than one use plastic bottles.

And, I speak from experience. Worst storm aftermath I've been through was 10 days power down with a 3 month old baby. You're pleas of but baby formula don't sway me because our grom is living proof you don't need a bunch of bottled water for these situations..
    Before bottled water became the thing, you could buy gallons of water in milk jug like and other containers. You could also buy lots of different types of things to store and carry water.

There are also those big delivery bottles that are refillable.

The issue isnt having bottled water for sale. The issue is people drinking bottled water all the time.

Why not have gas stations sell reusable bottles with a wash and fill station?

interesting - At Nestlé Waters Canada, our use of groundwater is even smaller than the industry average. This means that today, it takes us slightly less than 1.2 litres of water to deliver 1 litre of drinking water. By comparison, it takes 3 litres of water to produce one litre of soft drinks; 42 litres of water to produce one litre of beer; 183 litres of water to produce one 8-ounce (236 millilitres) glass of milk; and 148,000 litres of water to manufacture an automobile.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Before bottled water became the thing, you could buy gallons of water in milk jug like and other containers. You could also buy lots of different types of things to store and carry water.

There are also those big delivery bottles that are refillable.

The issue isnt having bottled water for sale. The issue is people drinking bottled water all the time.

Why not have gas stations sell reusable bottles with a wash and fill station?
    Regardless, I agree going Godwin's Law on this is hyperbole. The point remains that people make way too many excuses to justify their need for single use 16 0z or smaller disposable bottle water. So, the hyperbole goes both ways. There is absolutely ZERO need for 16 oz single use bottles for water. Carbonated drinks maybe, but water no..