Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    why thank you , coming from you its high praise

though the issues you raise are interesting though isn't that a different issue
    Umm. This thread is about bottled water being terrible. Not bottle returns and recycling.

If the issue is plastic then where the plastic goes after the bottle is used is germane. If it is recycled then it is not in a landfill ( maybe) and it can be reused ( made into something like a fleece if there is a market). If there is not a market it may end up in a landfill. If there is too much supply some will end up in landfill as will be cheaper to dump than to ship.

So your post was in part right though unnecessarily inflammatory.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Slightly OT, Budweiser/AB bought the aluminum bottle technology rights from another manufacturer.

A week back I had a yen for some Rice beer so I bought a box of 16 oz al bottles. Great packaging, easy to cool, you can screw the top back on.

It would make an excellent substitute for plastic as would hemp. Main point is stop throwing away petro into landfills and into the water supplies.

Bottled water isn't bad, the plastic bottles are.

You two can go back to fighting or fucking now.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

If the issue is plastic then where the plastic goes after the bottle is used is germane. If it is recycled then it is not in a landfill ( maybe) and it can be reused ( made into something like a fleece if there is a market). If there is not a market it may end up in a landfill. If there is too much supply some will end up in landfill as will be cheaper to dump than to ship.

So your post was in part right though unnecessarily inflammatory.
    Not really because recycling plastic is mostly a farse.

It's not a long term solution. It's barely a short term solution. It just delays the some of plastic getting to the landfill for a little bit. A lot of "recycled" plastic ends up in the landfill any way because there isnt a use for it.

Some of it is used, but mostly cheap plastic shit that goes in the landfill a bit later.
    Last edited by mtngirl79; 09-01-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    These days I'm preferential to Gildan. Mostly for the fit but I do intend to evaluate durability as well.
    Shirt term solution Bro..

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    my attempts at humor are a farse
    Recycled jokes often fail..

Fale!

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Slightly OT, Budweiser/AB bought the aluminum bottle technology rights from another manufacturer.

A week back I had a yen for some Rice beer so I bought a box of 16 oz al bottles. Great packaging, easy to cool, you can screw the top back on.

It would make an excellent substitute for plastic as would hemp. Main point is stop throwing away petro into landfills and into the water supplies.

Bottled water isn't bad, the plastic bottles are.

You two can go back to fighting or fucking now.
    You know what's the fucking solution? Reusable growlers. You can use them tons of times. Shit you can use Nalgene bottles for beer.

You know what's the fuck problem? All of these reusable solutions often cost more at the end of the retail transaction to the consumer in the US. Or at least they don't save money, when they should. Every damn chance the mega-corps get they take margin from the consumer for their pocket. Like with self-checkouts. "Oh here use your own labor at a benefit to us"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Bow down to our plastic overlords.
    Grow a pair.....bud.

OK, tonight went to a wedding. Mandatory valet parking. When we leave the extra valet dude tries to chat us up, and asks if we need some waters for the ride home. This is the problem. People take water bottles for no reason. I can’t believe I made it home and didn’t desiccate completely, (after drinking for 5 hours at a wedding).
    My daughter, when she worked the desk at the Springhill Suites this summer, gave out on average 75 bottles of water per night.
    People. Don’t take bottled water. Just stop.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

shit is bottled water cheap. In AB the deposit is the same amount as the sale price $0.10 a bottle reg is more like 0.20/ .30
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Every damn chance the mega-corps get they take margin from the consumer for their pocket. Like with self-checkouts. "Oh here use your own labor at a benefit to us"
    I worked retail management for over ten years and get it. However, retail point of sale humans are just the first of many, countless jobs already lost to technology. You can't be critical and defiant to this inevitable trend if you buy anything at all online as that is all "self checkout" and cuts way more retail jobs out of the workforce. Scan and go is already at the PlayStore and iPhone Apps center for more and more retail outlets.

What we really need is a biodegradable alternative to one use plastic bottles. Just like electric vehicles, Uncle Sam will need to subsidize initially until larger adoption economies of scale make it affordable and profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You know what's the fucking solution? Reusable growlers. You can use them tons of times. Shit you can use Nalgene bottles for beer.

You know what's the fuck problem? All of these reusable solutions often cost more at the end of the retail transaction to the consumer in the US. Or at least they don't save money, when they should. Every damn chance the mega-corps get they take margin from the consumer for their pocket. Like with self-checkouts. "Oh here use your own labor at a benefit to us"
    Often see beer at the growler taps being sold for more than the 6 pack of the exact same beer. Makes no sense.

Used to be a big fan of growlers, but prices are ridiculous unless buying something specialty. Grocery store has decent variety, better prices and cans/bottles dont go flat.

No, worse than Hitler are people who leave their used K Cup in the machine.
    Nestlé is straight up the Galactic Empire. We need the potential Jedi knight of antitrust enforcement.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Often see beer at the growler taps being sold for more than the 6 pack of the exact same beer. Makes no sense.

Used to be a big fan of growlers, but prices are ridiculous unless buying something specialty. Grocery store has decent variety, better prices and cans/bottles dont go flat.
    I think some of it’s a shelf life issue - kegs go bad faster than cans/bottles, so more waste with your basic grocery store growler station.
    But what do I know - I generally buy 22s from Sisters BiMart.

I like to drink bottled water out of a plastic straw

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Plastic bags were just outlawed in CT the week we were up there visiting family.
    The dumbass Governor thought he would charge $.10 tax on plastic bags. The grocery stores took all plastic out of the stores and sold PAPER bags for $.10. Capitalism wins again.

I though paper bags were killing the rainforests? Now they are fine?

I started using paper again- we reuse them a million times, and they fit a ton more groceries.

Everyone here was freaking out there is no bottled water left at the stores because of the hurricane coming. They seem to forget that water comes out of your faucet too. Not sure when the bottled water became the only water you should ever drink.
    Fine. But you ever tried to pick up dog poo in a paper bag?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Fine. But you ever tried to pick up dog poo in a paper bag?
    Have you ever tried to leave a flaming bag of poop on your neighbor's porch using a plastic bag?

Ummm....

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

But don't the Euros drink a lot of bottled water? isn't it pretty common even when local water is good enough to drink from tap?

But don't the Euros drink a lot of bottled water? isn't it pretty common even when local water is good enough to drink from tap?
    More whataboutism eh?

You know you can reuse bottled water water bottles? For water, even.

I get the Greta pic was posted because she's the current choice for rightwing angst, but comeone. The problem with bottled water is the disposing of the bottle immediately after consumption, the disposable nature of it.

She probably scooped it up as she was sailing by and is re-using it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    More whataboutism eh?
    no just a comment/question, maybe the euros don't care about bottled water?