Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scarpa tele vs A/T boot fit

Transitioning to A/T for touring due to a hamstring issue and just getting fucking old after 40 years of freeheel skiing.

We have shit for selection locally in A/T boots (Scarpa is available but overpriced) so looking at some options in gear swap and online. I saw a little bit of older info in searching the forums but I want to make sure and capture any input on more recent Scarpa iterations if anyone has any.

Scarpa T1 in 27.5/28 is a perfect fit for me touring wise. Anyone know how the Scarpa alpine boots fit compared to tele? Maybe it varies a lot by model, there are way more alpine models than tele so wouldn't be surprised. I have been looking at the Maestrale models to start with. Looks like some of the newer versions have a pretty narrow midfoot and large heel. I have a narrow foot but high instep, true 27.5 mondo foot measurement and I fucking hate too small boots. I like a snug fit but a little wiggle room for my toes.

I'm going to be using these with Salomon MTN (Atomic Backland) bindings just because I mounted a pair for my ex-wife, am familiar with them now, and they seem very smartly engineered. Unless someone has some better input on something comparable for cheaper (saw some Plumb race 150s for cheap on gear swap, thoughts?). This will be a mostly touring setup but may see 1 or 2 days a year of lift served, but probably even that is unlikely. So looking for a tour oriented boot, but not some uber light rando ass thing. I've been hauling gobs of metal and heavy boots around for years, so I'm sure any touring focused A/T boot will be light years ahead of what I am on now.

I'm still going to freeheel it when riding lifts goddammit!!!

You're correct - there is a lot more variation in fit in Scarpa AT boots than in their tele boots. None match the tele boots directly.

Since you fit a T1, the Maestrale series are going to be the closest to that. They're about the same width, about the same volume in the heel, and a little bit lower instep. You can somewhat address the instep by trimming the elastic on the liner over the instep. The Freedom series is also pretty close, with a taller instep, but also a bit more volume overall, especially in the heel. I have not tried on the Aliens or F1s so can't comment on the fit of those. Length is consistent - buy the same size as your T1s.

(Note for others reading this: the NTN boots have a totally different fit and none of the above applies.)

I agree with adrenalated -- I would go with a Maestrale in the same size as your T1s. I have used several models of the T1s since they came out, always in a 28. And I have used several Maestrales, also in a 28, and I find the fit very similar. One thing to look forward to: the Maestrales tour way better than the T1s.

I ski NTN mostly but also 75mm in the past and figured the T1 was such a common tele boot it would be best to reference that particular boot model. That helps a lot, muchas gracias dudes.

And I'm glad we finally fished a post out of you andy m. 2103? LOL

thanks though

Found some new orange Maestrales in my size for $325 shipped. Thanks again.

That's a great price -- good luck with them. Although I use other boots from Scarpa and Dynafit, the Maestrales are among my favorites.

FWIW, I have used both TX and TX Pro boots in the same size as my T1 and Maestrale boots with no significant differences in fit.

BTW, I didn't even remember signing up in 2013. After lurking around for years, I decided to sign up recently, and it informed me I was already signed up!

TX and Maestrale RS here. I had to have a little navicular and 6th toe work but not too much in the Maestrale that I didn't in the TX's. But my TXs are about six years old and packed out. Maestrales are last year's and my feet have changed over the years. The instep is a little lower in the Maestrale but not bad. For duckbills, I skied Energies back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    That's a great price -- good luck with them. Although I use other boots from Scarpa and Dynafit, the Maestrales are among my favorites.

FWIW, I have used both TX and TX Pro boots in the same size as my T1 and Maestrale boots with no significant differences in fit.

BTW, I didn't even remember signing up in 2013. After lurking around for years, I decided to sign up recently, and it informed me I was already signed up!
    Yeah, I have skied both the T1 and TXcomp happily. But also Crispi and Garmont, I'm either not as sensitive to poor fit as some or just am lucky with my foot shape. The Scarpas have both felt the best of any tele boots that I have owned though.

Well that explains the delayed post!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    TX and Maestrale RS here. I had to have a little navicular and 6th toe work but not too much in the Maestrale that I didn't in the TX's. But my TXs are about six years old and packed out. Maestrales are last year's and my feet have changed over the years. The instep is a little lower in the Maestrale but not bad. For duckbills, I skied Energies back in the day.
    Instep has always been a bit of work for me, but have found that if I pad it a little during molding it can help. Scarpa boots have given me the least amount of issues on that front, so hopefully it will work out with the Maestrales. I think the buckle/strap placement on the Scarpa does a lot better job of locking my forefoot and heel in so I don't have to tighten the buckle right over my instep as much as with other brands.

I skied the Syner-g for years though and really liked that boot.

3pin:
    I took the same path. switched from tele to AT last year.
    Same tele boot preferences, even same size. I went with the Maestrale RS - was on the fence between 27.5 and 28, I went smaller and they packed out perfectly after a few long tours. The fit is perfect. Maybe not quite as comfy but close.

I mounted Dynafit rotations 12's, all my skis are shamefully big.

Forever I toured on the original hammerhead and a 4 buckle ... The touring upgrade of AT will blow your mind!
    Since I've never skied a true downhill alpine rig, my setup feels bomber (cause I don't know any better). I'm skiing faster and harder than ever, even sticking some decent drops.
    I also told myself I'd still tele some days .. but I haven't so far...

Oh, some folks have had shell cracking issues with the Maestrale's -- I haven't so far, but it might be worth keeping an eye on. Have fun man!

Here's the thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=maestrale

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Yeah, I have skied both the T1 and TXcomp happily. But also Crispi and Garmont, I'm either not as sensitive to poor fit as some or just am lucky with my foot shape. The Scarpas have both felt the best of any tele boots that I have owned though.
    I tried Crispi XPs for a bit last season as part of a budget 75mm setup and they really scrunched my toes together... definitely not the same comfort level as Scarpa's tele boots. I thought it was a little odd because everyone usually comments on Crispi's poor heel pockets, but that didn't seem to be a problem for me. T2 Ecos, for me at least, are still the best fitting boot ever. So comfortable and relatively light!

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Forever I toured on the original hammerhead and a 4 buckle ... The touring upgrade of AT will blow your mind!
    I don't disagree, but touring on a tele trap with a pivot (Outlaw) or a tech toe (Lynx) will blow your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I don't disagree, but touring on a tele trap with a pivot (Outlaw) or a tech toe (Lynx) will blow your mind.
    Free pivot or tech toe tele bindings are worlds better than fighting the springs on a Hammerhead for sure, but all tele boots blow for touring compared to the AT boot choices out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Free pivot or tech toe tele bindings are worlds better than fighting the springs on a Hammerhead for sure, but all tele boots blow for touring compared to the AT boot choices out there now.
    Yep. I have been chasing tele touring marketing pontificates forever. Every time I finally cave and get something a little more touring friendly, there is some incremental increase in efficiency/weight etc. So I give it a few years, buy something, then dammit if 22 Designs or somebody doesn't come up with something a little better/lighter. But the change is so very very slow that I finally am tired of it. A/T has been doing it light and right for a long time. I finally admitted it just makes way more sense for touring, plus I have never been a tele turn purist. Plenty of alpine turns on freeheel gear for me.

I have always struggled with the fact that tele is better for the low rolling terrain, traversing downed logs, etc. (sometimes it's really nice to have your tails snap back to your heel if your not in touring mode but still have heel lift if needed).

But I'm just tired of the wait for something lighter/better to match the A/T stuff. I still plan on freeheeling the lifts though, and love mixing up tele and alpine turns as terrain dictates. Such a good way to switch up leg muscles.

That being said, boots arrive tomorrow, Salomon MTN bindings Friday, custom Praxis BC end of the month or so. Stoked!!

So true!! Love the Outlaw, just not the binding or boot weight. Finally got the outlaw, the the Lynx came out. That's what I'm talking about %%$$##@#%^%^!!!! haha

I do get that there are even lighter setups, but boots haven't caught up. I finally decided to just go all in and be done with it. Maybe I will be 2PinGrin, lol

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Oh, some folks have had shell cracking issues with the Maestrale's -- I haven't so far, but it might be worth keeping an eye on. Have fun man!

Here's the thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=maestrale
    Saw that on the cracking, looks like mostly the RS but saw a few issues with the orange version too. Walk mode lever issues too, hopefully that won't become a problem.

Can't argue with that. Every tele skier needs a list of gripes, excuses perhaps, and that's easily the biggest.

Can't argue with that. Every tele skier needs a list of gripes, excuses perhaps, and that's easily the biggest.
    If memory serves, the boot thing has been an issue for about 10 yrs.

I do get that there are even lighter setups, but boots haven't caught up. I finally decided to just go all in and be done with it.
    Yeah, I didn't wanna chip away at it.
    For me, going from the most resistive and heaviest setups, to one of the smoothest and lightest - was incredible.

I would say the only very minor downside is that without flexing bellows, my toes don't stay quite as warm - but barely noticeable on the coldest of tours.

Got the boots today. Shell fit is perfect for me, snug but not tight finger. *note: my finger is not your finger, only use your own finger for certain things in life.* They feel familiar walking around and I think they are going to be great. Left big toe area will need some molding attention, hopefully that will take care of it.

A couple of immediate issues I see. I have seen some photos online of the heel lever ripping out a chunk of plastic from the boot. The heel lever extends out a long way from the boot and is definitely a large lever if you happen to smack a tree trunk if log hopping or hit a rock somehow. Not likely since it's behind the boot but something to be aware of I guess.

The bigger issue: holy mother of jesus, those liners are the hardest to get back in that I have ever seen! Getting them out wasn't too bad. and I had read reviews of difficulty with foot entry, but that wasn't an issue with the cuff pulled back in walk mode. I don't remove my boot liners unless it's an overnight trip (which will be an issue at some point), but I do want to mold them, and worry about getting them back in before they cool too much. Any tricks here?

All in all, I like them already based on fit and strap layout and the familiar feel to my other Scarpas. It felt pretty weird just walking around in them with no toe flex at all. It's been 35ish years since I was in an alpine boot.

I also have a pair of 2018 Maestrales that I got this year to replace Dynafit TLT 6's. Never really like the 6's as they didn't ski well with tongues removed and just wanted a simplier boot. I also have a pair of Vulcans that do ski well with the tongues out so I thought the Scarpas would be a lighter boot and better when I was skiing my 96uf skis. As it turned out the Scarpas ski closer to my Vulcans than I thought so I ended up with two similar boots. Similar when the Vulcans are skied tongueless.

As far as R&R the liners, yes that is a hassle as the heel catches on the lip of the lower shell. So a way to make that way easier especially molding is to use a plastic shoe horn and lube it with some vasoline and lock up the shells when you are putting the liners in with or without your foot in the liners.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000618.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	293219
    I made this out of a thin plastic bucket.

Anyway, I also came from tele but quite a while ago, I think the Maestrale is a good backcountry specific boot, simple and has the chops to ski bigger skis. i don't think it is a good resort/BC boot unless you only resort on soft days. You will have no trouble having fun with this boot........

The bigger issue: holy mother of jesus, those liners are the hardest to get back in that I have ever seen! Getting them out wasn't too bad. and I had read reviews of difficulty with foot entry, but that wasn't an issue with the cuff pulled back in walk mode. I don't remove my boot liners unless it's an overnight trip (which will be an issue at some point), but I do want to mold them, and worry about getting them back in before they cool too much. Any tricks here?
    With liner removed:
    1) open the tongue all the way
    2) LOCK the cuff into ski mode
    3) insert liner into boot
    4) UNLOCK the shell into walk mode
    5) put foot in boot

With liner removed:
    5) put foot in boot
    +1

I take the liners out to dry every time.
    Took me 6 months to figure this out.

On the RS, the lower part of the shell has a little tongue (?) on the back, that you have to make sure doesn't get squished or folded over down into the heel pocket too. but this method is super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I also have a pair of 2018 Maestrales that I got this year to replace Dynafit TLT 6's. Never really like the 6's as they didn't ski well with tongues removed and just wanted a simplier boot. I also have a pair of Vulcans that do ski well with the tongues out so I thought the Scarpas would be a lighter boot and better when I was skiing my 96uf skis. As it turned out the Scarpas ski closer to my Vulcans than I thought so I ended up with two similar boots. Similar when the Vulcans are skied tongueless.

As far as R&R the liners, yes that is a hassle as the heel catches on the lip of the lower shell. So a way to make that way easier especially molding is to use a plastic shoe horn and lube it with some vasoline and lock up the shells when you are putting the liners in with or without your foot in the liners.

I made this out of a thin plastic bucket.

Anyway, I also came from tele but quite a while ago, I think the Maestrale is a good backcountry specific boot, simple and has the chops to ski bigger skis. i don't think it is a good resort/BC boot unless you only resort on soft days. You will have no trouble having fun with this boot........
    Thanks Quad,
    Will try the shoehorn idea. This will be a backcountry boot, possibly a resort day here and there but they will be my primary touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated
    With liner removed:
    5) put foot in boot
    Hmmm, well the tongue doesn't really open due to the 3 machine screws at the front, but did try this. Still a pita, I basically have to crumple the liner to get it in. Maybe you are thinking of the prior hinged tongue version?

I'm sure I will get it sorted out for molding, just kind of a pain. One trick I have been using the last few years when molding is to put the warm liner in a plastic grocery bag before inserting it into the shell. I'm thinking Quad's vaseline trick but on the outside of the bag might help.

This vid shows leaving the cuff open and in walk mode and basically crumpling the heel of the liner (notice how they cut out the section where it was obvious the liner had to be crumpled, haha:

Not a huge deal, I will get it figured out, thanks dudes.

Hmmm, well the tongue doesn't really open due to the 3 machine screws at the front, but did try this. Still a pita, I basically have to crumple the liner to get it in. Maybe you are thinking of the prior hinged tongue version?
    Indeed I was, sorry.

I haven't messed with the new boot, but I'd cut apart a milk crate and use it as a shoe horn.

Indeed I was, sorry.

I haven't messed with the new boot, but I'd cut apart a milk crate and use it as a shoe horn.
    No worries, your fit info was very helpful and I like the shoehorn idea. I'm thinking jug not crate though! lol