Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AT boots are more fiddly than Scarpa Teleboots and the Maestrale and the RS too have a fiddle factor and it got worse when they changed the tongue making it harder to move it out of the way as well as the shape of the heel in the shell. So, IMO, it is very helpful to store the boots inside during the Winter and keep those warm boots in front on the way to the TH so it is kept warm. This will be huge when putting the boots on as opposed to getting the boots out of the trunk or in the back of a PU and wrestling getting them on. Or, like me and have a heated boot bag and my foot slides in easy peasy. WTBS, still way easier than dealing with a full on overlap resort boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    AT boots are more fiddly than Scarpa Teleboots and the Maestrale and the RS too have a fiddle factor and it got worse when they changed the tongue making it harder to move it out of the way as well as the shape of the heel in the shell. So, IMO, it is very helpful to store the boots inside during the Winter and keep those warm boots in front on the way to the TH so it is kept warm. This will be huge when putting the boots on as opposed to getting the boots out of the trunk or in the back of a PU and wrestling getting them on. Or, like me and have a heated boot bag and my foot slides in easy peasy. WTBS, still way easier than dealing with a full on overlap resort boot.
    Yeah, cold boots suck. I usually keep them near the wood burning stove the night before (not too close though!) and under the floor heater of the truck (if just me) when driving. I do have to relegate them to the back seat if not travelling alone.

You can use the rice-in-sock technique to mold the liners in the shell - makes it a lot easier. Just make sure the sock gets down to the toe (I actually split the rice between 2 socks to make this easier).

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    You can use the rice-in-sock technique to mold the liners in the shell - makes it a lot easier. Just make sure the sock gets down to the toe (I actually split the rice between 2 socks to make this easier).
    I've tried that method and wasn't a fan. It doesn't get the liner warmed up all the way to the outer portion of the liner as much as I like. Might be an option in this case if I have problems getting the liner in. It was obvious the liner didn't get very warm with the rice method based on no indication of conforming to the shell on the outside of the liner. I know lots of people like it though. I like to get them puffed and floppy.

Try taking the screw closer to the ankle out that attaches the tongue to the clog to ease entry for molding purposes?
    Put back in when done.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Try taking the screw closer to the ankle out that attaches the tongue to the clog to ease entry for molding purposes?
    Put back in when done.
    I don't think that would help, the tongue isn't the problem, it's the shape/mold of the lower part of the boot. Top part of tongue is very flexible. I really don't think it will be a huge issue once they are soft. Will try to mold them this weekend.

BTW, you need to follow up on this before you go thru the fitting process and then find out that your boots need to be sent back.
    http://www.scarpa.com/product-recall

As far as heat molding, those liners are composite so the foam on the outside is stiffer/firmer than the inside. Ideally a stack heater works best as the inside gets more heat to mold and the outside stays firm and stiff for ski performance. IMO.

Anyway, you will love the boots, with your background the boots will be plenty burly to ski big terrain with bigger skis. As well as light enough to do way bigger tours than what you are doing now......

Additionally, my 2018 Maestrales were the next generation and didn't meet the criteria to be sent back. This was a plus for me as I had to do a fair amount of fitting and a toe punch to get the fit I wanted. So, sending them back would have me doing this all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    BTW, you need to follow up on this before you go thru the fitting process and then find out that your boots need to be sent back.
    http://www.scarpa.com/product-recall

As far as heat molding, those liners are composite so the foam on the outside is stiffer/firmer than the inside. Ideally a stack heater works best as the inside gets more heat to mold and the outside stays firm and stiff for ski performance. IMO.

Anyway, you will love the boots, with your background the boots will be plenty burly to ski big terrain with bigger skis. As well as light enough to do way bigger tours than what you are doing now......
    Good info, thanks Quad. Mine are not the recalled version thankfully. Hadn't thought about the composite liner but knew it looked different than my other Intuition liners, wasn't aware of that technology. Rice method might be back on since I don't want to pay a shop to use the stack heater.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I don't think that would help, the tongue isn't the problem, it's the shape/mold of the lower part of the boot. Top part of tongue is very flexible. I really don't think it will be a huge issue once they are soft. Will try to mold them this weekend.
    Without seeing the boot in person I took a WAG.
    "Failed I have."

Without seeing the boot in person I took a WAG.
    "Failed I have."
    No worries turnfarmer, that was definitely a good thought.

No worries here, that was just my lame attempt at humor!

No worries here, that was just my lame attempt at humor!
    Well at least I'm back on board with the rice method (whoops, that was teledad's suggestion). Actually ordered the fit kit from Intuition for $15. I have some old wool sock toes somewhere, but moved and can't find them and have always wanted a better toe cap for molding.