Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I know. Science can be tough.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...3D-v9AUeRe4noJ

Maybe start there.

Yes, hurricanes are steered or not steered by other systems. They typically are fueled by warm water and weakened by shear. Very rarely they will tap into cold storm energy, suck on it like a tear, and become enhanced extra tropical systems. Sandy did this (as well as the Halloween storm of ‘91(?)) and blew up just as it was headed into the armpit. So, yeah, anomaly type shit. Kind of like when a storm retrogrades.

Glad to hear both NY and Raleigh are going to make it through this one. Actually, the US coast fared pretty damn well all considered. Bahamas, not so much.
    I tried to start there, but..

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL /sch...=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3D-v9AUeRe4noJ was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

So, I went here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

And read that, and, yeah, there was another system up there that steered Sandy into Jersey. Just like there's a big high steering this one over to the UK or something. I guess your anamoly is the left turn/NW track, which, yeah, is unusual, but, how exactly did it "blow up" at that point? The thing already had a long life. I don't remember it "blowing up". I was watching that thing pretty closely, along with tens of millions who live here, for obvious reasons. I really don't recall anybody reporting it like you seem to remember it, and God knows that thing was the only subject, 24/7, on the news.

Wikipedia. Lol. Fuck you’re good at science research.

Working now. I’ll help you out later.

Here ya go...

Sandy's life cycle was marked by two upper-level trough interactions while it moved northward over the western North Atlantic on 26–29 October. During the second trough interaction on 29 October, Sandy turned northwestward and intensified as cold continental air encircled the warm core vortex and Sandy acquired characteristics of a warm seclusion. The aim of this study is to determine the dynamical processes that contributed to Sandy's secondary peak in intensity during its warm seclusion phase using high-resolution numerical simulations. The modeling results show that intensification occurred in response to shallow low-level convergence below 850 hPa that was consistent with the Sawyer–Eliassen solution for the secondary circulation that accompanied the increased baroclinicity in the radial direction. Additionally, cyclonic vertical vorticity generated by tilting of horizontal vorticity along an axis of frontogenesis northwest of Sandy was axisymmetrized. The axis of frontogenesis was anchored to the Gulf Stream in a region of near-surface differential diabatic heating. The unusual northwestward track of Sandy allowed the cyclonic vorticity over the Gulf Stream to form ahead of the main vortex and be readily axisymmetrized. The underlying dynamics driving intensification were nontropical in origin, and supported the reclassification of Sandy as extratropical prior to landfall.

Trying the link again.

Btw, you do know that Wikipedia is open source. I think your problem with understanding these things is you watch the media reports. They are useless doom and gloom sensationalism. Start with the NHC and go from there if you want data and facts.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...3D-v9AUeRe4noJ

This is pretty interesting, Dorian and Gabrielle appear to be getting ready to merge, watch out in Iceland and maybe Norwedge I guess.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...nd120#contents

Novacaine hurricane.

Move upside and let the man go through...

It's about time someone puts those entitled, judgemental Scandi cunts in their place. Who knew it would take an extra tropical hurricane to do it. Now if we can just find a way to flush most of them out of the PNW, it would be a vaguely tolerable place to live.

All this talk is bullshit. Everyone knows that the real storms are Hurricanos.
    A Hurricane that spins in such a localized fashion its a giant tornado mixed with lava from a volcano.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    All this talk is bullshit. Everyone knows that the real storms are Hurricanos.
    A Hurricane that spins in such a localized fashion its a giant tornado mixed with lava from a volcano.
    Raleigh would become a modern day Pompeii.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Who would win in a fight? A hurricane, or Mike Ditka?
    Live Free or Die

Strong Bill Swerski reference.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Who would win in a fight? A hurricane, or Mike Ditka?
    Ditka

But what if it is named Hurricane Ditka?

You bringing a tent and a cooler of food and water with you neufox?

Brought my Hennessy hammock, food, water, purification pump and tablets, stove, mosquito headnet, camel back and other miscellaneous stuff. Left the suits at home.

The stories from locals are disturbing. One guy claimed that he saw “probably a hundred” bodies in his 5 days on Abaco. Hopefully they are exaggerating.

I’m still in Nassau waiting to take a bird over.

See a shitton of flattened houses and very few people. Are they on a hill gathered with the animals?

Good luck!

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Brought my Hennessy hammock, food, water, purification pump and tablets, stove, mosquito headnet, camel back and other miscellaneous stuff. Left the suits at home.

The stories from locals are disturbing. One guy claimed that he saw “probably a hundred” bodies in his 5 days on Abaco. Hopefully they are exaggerating.

Dam man. It’s going to be absolutely horrible. Best of luck. Watch your back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Bring a lot of those sanitary wipes.

And apparently duct tape.
    I still call it The Jake.

Breaking news.

People are not building structures that will withstand a Class 5 Hurricane.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Breaking news.

For 48 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Breaking news.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    For 48 hours.
    Every other year..

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    For 48 hours.
    That's an anomaly.

Katrina hung around for awhile. So did Harvey.

Steve didn’t.
    I still call it The Jake.