Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Exactly my point re: recency bias. Not doing much more than a google it appears that the recency bias that goes hand in hand with the NYC worldview of Benny that I’m alleging is accurate.

Prior to Sandy, it appears the last actual hurricane to hit NYC was Isabel in 2003. 16 years ago.

And Sandy also was aided by the miraculous combination of a high tide and a Nor’easter.

I won’t even bother looking up inland SE Atlantic storm effects to compare. No offense.
    Jezuz H, dude. Raleigh is far inland. NYC is a harbor on the Atlantic, and L.I. and the Jersey coast are sitting ducks. Maybe it doesn't happen every summer, but NY has had plenty of hits from storms in my lifetime, at least, especially northeasters, which don't pack quite the punch of a hurricaine, but can do a ton of damage that never makes it to national news. Makes for pretty awesome skiing, too, if you catch them at the right place.

And how was Sandy "aided by a noreaster"? What?

Well here's the tool to figure it out: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

I'm not quite sure, on a quick look, how to get the search function to work. Just zooming in, the numbers look pretty comparable, with more major storms affecting NYC but more total storms in Raleigh, but not by much and that's just me eyeballing it.

Yeah, that Sandy storm dumped nearly 4' of various types of snow on us in WV. Bunch of mags came down for the fun. Good times.
    watch out for snakes

I'd be perfectly fine with Raleigh winning this little contest.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jezuz H, dude. Raleigh is far inland. NYC is a harbor on the Atlantic, and L.I. and the Jersey coast are sitting ducks. Maybe it doesn't happen every summer, but NY has had plenty of hits from storms in my lifetime, at least, especially northeasters, which don't pack quite the punch of a hurricaine, but can do a ton of damage that never makes it to national news. Makes for pretty awesome skiing, too, if you catch them at the right place.

And how was Sandy "aided by a noreaster"? What?
    Sandy was aided by a cold storm, if I recall correctly. Not sure if they joined forces like the Halloween (or Perfect) Storm, or it was nearby, offering guidance and energy. Sandy was an anomaly, but bringing up climate change is relevant. NYC might be becoming more susceptible.

The 2003 storm flooded lower Manhattan and closed much of the subway system. NYC has been u see water more than Raleigh due to coastal flooding due to tropical system. Hands down. The question is which city had gotten more wind. More regularly, I’d assume Raleigh. Greater velocity, I’d wager a better on NYC. Tropical systems break apart very quickly after moving on shore. The wind field grows in size, but weakens substantially.

I too won’t bother looking up the stats, cause really, who gives a fuck.

My point was that the waters just south of Long Island are not the cold North Atlantic. They can often be plenty warm to sustain a tropical system in late August and early September. It is a short window, but exist. The cold N Atlantic waters start just east and north of there, off of Cape Cod.

Jezuz H, dude. Raleigh is far inland. NYC is a harbor on the Atlantic, and L.I. and the Jersey coast are sitting ducks.
    The majority of storms that hit NY and parts north hit Raleigh first. 150 miles is close enough to get solid tropical and cat 1 winds when the storm eye hits the coast. By the time it gets to you we've taken a lot of the steam out if it literally. You're welcome!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Sandy was aided by a cold storm, if I recall correctly. Not sure if they joined forces like the Halloween (or Perfect) Storm, or it was nearby, offering guidance and energy. Sandy was an anomaly, but bringing up climate change is relevant. NYC might be becoming more susceptible.

The 2003 storm flooded lower Manhattan and closed much of the subway system. NYC has been u see water more than Raleigh due to coastal flooding due to tropical system. Hands down. The question is which city had gotten more wind. More regularly, I’d assume Raleigh. Greater velocity, I’d wager a better on NYC. Tropical systems break apart very quickly after moving on shore. The wind field grows in size, but weakens substantially.

I too won’t bother looking up the stats, cause really, who gives a fuck.

My point was that the waters just south of Long Island are not the cold North Atlantic. They can often be plenty warm to sustain a tropical system in late August and early September. It is a short window, but exist. The cold N Atlantic waters start just east and north of there, off of Cape Cod.
    "Sandy was an anamoly". You see, that's a problem, for coastal NY and so many other places No, it really wasn't. NY and Jersey coasts get hit by hurricanes and tropical storms maybe every twenty years. A probable class five creamed Western L.I. in 1938, moving on to Providence. I had a tree in my front yard in Jersey growing up that was permanently tilted from a storm in the early fifties. But, we all seem to think that these are freak situations, an anamoly, so it's ok to build back, probably won't happen again. Thus, the entire East coast of the US developed with expensive RE. Shit, Florida, the whole state, developed.
    I forget what the psychological term is, I heard it referenced when the 1906 SF earthquake was talked about a lot when the centennial happened recently. They were building back immediately, thinking, I guess, that won't happen again. Sure it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well here's the tool to figure it out: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

I'm not quite sure, on a quick look, how to get the search function to work. Just zooming in, the numbers look pretty comparable, with more major storms affecting NYC but more total storms in Raleigh, but not by much and that's just me eyeballing it.
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/11/us/hu...rnd/index.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_170911115556-02-irrma-ushurricanes-social (1).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	293115

Benny, take your meds dude. Sandy was not typical in many ways.

I agree with you 100% that barrier islands and wetlands should not be developed. For many reason beyond a twice a century storm. But that does not make a storm like Sandy typical. Could there be another just like Sunday, sucking energy from a cold source, and growing as it approaches the arm pit of the east coast. Sure. But a regular system it was not.

I’m no Atlantic tropical storm expert, but I carefully tracked every single tropical system for 15 years. I travelled toward then to score surf when ever I could. The only other storm that tapped energy like Sandy was the Halloween Storm (which sent perfect 12’ surf to 92nd Street Rockaway).

Save the coastal wetlands. We need them to absorb tropical storms, as well as winter storms, rain water, and more importantly as nurseries for vast amounts of sea life and support birds and small mammals.

But enough with the hurricane scare tactic. It was an anomaly.

Hurricanes 2019 (and other Tropical Shit storms)

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The majority of storms that hit NY and parts north hit Raleigh first. 150 miles is close enough to get solid tropical and cat 1 winds when the storm eye hits the coast. By the time it gets to you we've taken a lot of the steam out if it literally. You're welcome!
    That is not true. Most the storms that have hit NYC and north did not go ashore in NC.

Typically, hurricane force winds extend 25-75 miles from the eye. And with land drag, that is usually on the low end. Hurricane are pretty compact. You’d need the eye skirting the coast to get Cat 1 in Raleigh. Join Benny in the hyperbole room.

pretty much a non-event in Hilton head. The wind shifted offshore before high tide and the overnight hightide was LOWER than it would be without the hurricane. I don't think they ever lost power though they did sustain winds at 30 with gusts to 60. So probably shingles & branches in the road. knock on wood.
    "Can't you see..."

That graphic has been posted. And again, the number of storms that hit NC is large, but just because a storm hits Hatteras does not mean it came anywhere close to Raleigh. It's 200 miles inland from Nags head to Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That graphic has been posted. And again, the number of storms that hit NC is large, but just because a storm hits Hatteras does not mean it came anywhere close to Raleigh. It's 200 miles inland from Nags head to Raleigh.
    Would you rather get 51 phone numbers or banged 12 times?

And how is it they all missed Delaware?

Have you ever been to Delaware? Why would a hurricane ever want to go there?

Why would a hurricane ever want to go there?
    Low corporate taxes?

Apparently hurricanes don't care about tax-free shopping at outlet malls.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

This is a great takeaway from the last few pages.
    I still call it The Jake.

Low corporate taxes?
    Favorable bankruptcy courts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Favorable bankruptcy courts
    Broke-ass hurricanes.
    I still call it The Jake.

Still say Raleigh gets quite a few blow jobs. We've gone through 2 roofs since 1999.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Biden has friends in high places.

Water temps along the NY and Jersey shore can be in the low 80s this time of year.
    Not much time on the ocean huh?

Man up and wear a wetsuit.

Hurricanes 2019 (and other Tropical Shit storms)

TOP 10 US CITIES AT RISK FROM HURRICANES

New York City made the list. Raleigh NC did not.

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/top-10...ricane-damage/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Biden has friends in high places.
    Actually, it's b/c: me.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.