Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They close October 1?
    Im guessing that means reopen before they would have closed for the season on Oct 1? Lots of resorts here close in Sept - November ish.

I went to their website, and that's what I gathered.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Thanks for the insight, y’all. I’m guessing there is quite a bit of guessing about how many are (or were on island). After the tsunami hit American Samoa, the government only had a best guess at fatalities because they had a poor count of how many peeps were on the island and not everybody has close family to report a missing person.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I went to their website, and that's what I gathered.
    yeah, typo. I meant "opening" date. As someone else noted, most everything in the Bahamas closes down around August 1. Last year was actually the first year Delphi opened in October (new owners). November 1 had been their traditional date. I was down there first weekend of October last year, and the island was noticeably quite. We went to Hope Town one morning and hardly anything was open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA08ED58-0388-4360-A1D6-6911E9BE9F24.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	647.4 KB 
ID:	293805

We just got water in Freeport! Our days of taking a dip in the pool and calling that a shower are over (and carrying water from same pool to flush)... for now. This tropical storm is about to hit us though. Locals said electric and water is pretty fragile and both could get knocked out by it.

Last night finally caught up with my good friend who owns a plane. Last October, he and I went to Delphi for a trip so he had a connection to Abaco and fond memories. After storm, he did some digging around and found out there were groups organizing private pilots to fly in supplies, etc., so he reached out and offered to help. His offer was met with enthusiasm, in particular because the door to his plane is large enough to accept a raft with frame and 25 hp motor that they were desperate to get in for... ugh, use in body retrieval. He flew to Florida early Saturday morning weekend before last, flew the raft and other stuff in Saturday and another flight Sunday, landing at Treasure Cay both times. He said the amount of damage was devastating to see from the air. It's going to be a long road to recovery. He asked the guy coordinating efforts why he was flying in a boat for body recovery when the WSJ that morning was reporting a death toll of 43 and the guy said because there are a lot more dead than that--certainly in the hundreds and maybe the thousands.

On a cheerier note, my friend was having dinner at a restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale that Saturday night and struck up a conversation with a couple there who asked what he was doing. When he told them, they started talking about their longtime fishing guide/friend who lived on Green Turtle Cay. They were of course worried about him and had not been able to contact him. My friend told them that his task for Sunday was to fly in another plane load to Treasure Cay and then "just find the guy coordinating the Green Turtle Cay deliveries". The guy asked my friend to take a letter with their guide's name on it. My friend of course agreed and when he landed the next day and located the guy handling the staging for GTC he asked "do you know ___?, and the guy replied "yes, I'm his uncle". He took the letter to his nephew, who then used the sat phone the guy had due to the role he was playing in the process and called his friends in Ft. Lauderdale. My friend got an email from the guy last week detailing how they had gotten the guide, his wife and daughter picked up by another acquaintance of theirs with a plane, brought them to Florida, where they stayed with the family for a few days. The Floridians took them to Costco and stocked them up with essentials. Through their church they found a family willing to house the daughter for the rest of the school year (kid of their own about the same age) and the mom is going to stay with some relatives nearby for some to be determined period of time. The guide is returning to Abaco in 3 weeks to try to rebuild their lives. Their home is still standing although most contents are trashed, and he lost his boat which is his source of income. Despite all that, he is in a lot better situation then he was a couple of weeks ago mostly just due to good fortune and of course the generosity and helpfulness of one stranger and a family of long time friends.

Pretty cool huh?

People helping people in need is always cool.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Pretty cool huh?
    Definitely. And from the way your post started I thought your friend had crashed, so I'm glad that isn't true.

Most locals I met in Grand Bahama had lost a friend or family member. It’s obviously a small town(s) on an island so everyone knows everyone. But it was crazy to know that almost every person you run into is dealing with a tragedy.

The whole thing was fucking crazy. Houses that were built with 10” concrete walls with 3/4 re-bar, flattened. Commercial buildings, police stations, 18” concrete corners with 4 strands of rebar, flattened. All those were from the storm surge obviously. Then there could be a 2x6 stick framed house 200 yards away that survived.

The wind was also incredible. Long stretches where every tree was snapped off. There were mile long sections where every power line pole was snapped. Houses with new 1” thick concrete tile roofs, and it took an entire side off. Metal roofs with 200 mph ratings ripped off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	294570Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	294571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1690.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	294572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	294573

^^^ Yep, that's a disaster of epic proportions... They get direct hits at least every 3-4 years so they build things designed to withstand most hurricanes.. Not a lot can withstand 2 days of cat 4-5 though..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Amazing those power lines in the second pic^^ are still up.

In the first world problem area, southeast Texas is under water again. Gonna be some good deals on used cars in a couple weeks.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Jesus hates Texas

T/S Seinfeld, err, Jerry has kind of a weird predicted life, fading as it approaches Bermuda and then blowing up into a hurricane right afterwards. Bermuda could take it on the chin, which rarely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Most locals I met in Grand Bahama had lost a friend or family member. It’s obviously a small town(s) on an island so everyone knows everyone. But it was crazy to know that almost every person you run into is dealing with a tragedy.

The whole thing was fucking crazy. Houses that were built with 10” concrete walls with 3/4 re-bar, flattened. Commercial buildings, police stations, 18” concrete corners with 4 strands of rebar, flattened. All those were from the storm surge obviously. Then there could be a 2x6 stick framed house 200 yards away that survived.

The wind was also incredible. Long stretches where every tree was snapped off. There were mile long sections where every power line pole was snapped. Houses with new 1” thick concrete tile roofs, and it took an entire side off. Metal roofs with 200 mph ratings ripped off.

The devastation after hurricane Iniki hit Kauaʻi was crazy. On the Poipu side there were houses build on concrete pilings reinforced with rebar that were moved 100ft inland. I can still see the snapped off pilings. It was like someone took a saw and cut right through the concrete and rebar. They looked neatly trimmed.

They say the highest wind was 143mph but one anemometer recorded a gust of 225mph right before the pole that was supporting it snapped.

Ryan Trenton stands outside the remains of his family home near
    Poipu, Kauai, after it was destroyed by Hurricane Iniki. The house
    was knocked several hundred feet from its foundation by the storm
    surge generated by Iniki. Standing behind Trenton is Debbie Porcella.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

T/S Seinfeld, err, Jerry has kind of a weird predicted life, fading as it approaches Bermuda and then blowing up into a hurricane right afterwards. Bermuda could take it on the chin, which rarely happens.

That’s the windfield of Humberto N of Bermuda.

Not positive you're correct. It's from NOAA's Hurricane Jerry warnings page.

This is the Jerry track:

Here's the Humberto track:

On Monday morning when Jerry is predicted to become a hurricane, Humberto will be way out in the middle of the North Atlantic somewhere.

Not positive you're correct. It's from NOAA's Hurricane Jerry warnings page. Maybe Jerry catces up to Humberto and they merge?
    Name:  thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-13529059.png
Views: 248
Size:  115.8 KB

Right now...
    https://www.windy.com/?30.050,-57.964,5
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Explain what I am misunderstanding. I went back and edited right around when you posted because I had the wrong graphic and thus the wrong timeline. Jerry and Humberto are not close to each other is what I'm trying to say.

Correct they are not close to each other. I was thinking you were still thinking they were going to somehow merge.
    This graphic is showing the predicted Tropical storm winds for the next six day in the Central and western Atlantic. As It is showing the predicted windsfields for Jerry and, as Neufox said, Humberto.
    Humberto will be long gone by the time Jerry gets anywhere near Bermuda.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Ice - that map shows the probability of an area experiencing tropical storm winds at any point during the next 120 hours from 8am forward. The cone of uncertainty map was as of 5pm. Therefore the tropical storm odds map shows winds further south than they are in the cone map.

yeah yeah, I backtracked on that image already, for some reason I thought it was more like a predicted storm track even though I knew better. I went back and changed my take like 2 minutes later but didn't delete shit because I'm not a pussy.

But yeah you were right.

Not to beat a dead horse too too much, but when I posted that image, NOAA had Jerry as a TS until it was past Bermuda and then blowing up to a hurricane shortly thereafter, hence my confusion on that image, which seemed at first glance to show something like that.

Since then Hurricane Cosmo has gotten all biggity way earlier than forecast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delphi.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	295023