Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Daily coverage of devastation and response/relief efforts on npr news hour.

The NOAA/trump/AL fiasco is pretty wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Insane.

I can only imagine the logistical and environmental challenges that is required to clean up that mess. Big countries with large amount of landmass and recycling facilities would struggle to cope with that amount of debris...let alone an small archipelago/island with destroyed infra...
    How did it go for example in New Orleans after Katrina? Are Barbadoans going to create a new peninsula/mountain of all that debris or what?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Agree. Mind boggling. I’m guessing that it’ll be a lot of barges dumping a lot into the ocean disposal sites.

The federal funding for the “private property debris removal” program from the wildfire that burned through paradise, ca is estimated to be over $1B. I believe there is other funding via private insurance, the utility, and local government. Almost 10 months after the fire, and it’s still going on....

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Lots of small, private relief efforts. People flying their private planes into the Bahamas with food.

The media is really not covering any of it. Instead they gave more coverage to the Trump/Alabama blunder on the Sunday morning talk shows.
    But, really, think of the brilliance behind that. Trump figured out how to distract from reality, and have everyone talk about him. That's the point. He's become a master at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Insane.

I can only imagine the logistical and environmental challenges that is required to clean up that mess. Big countries with large amount of landmass and recycling facilities would struggle to cope with that amount of debris...let alone an small archipelago/island with destroyed infra...
    How did it go for example in New Orleans after Katrina? Are Barbadoans going to create a new peninsula/mountain of all that debris or what?
    There is still bomb and artillery damage from WWII in Crete that hasn't been cleaned up. My guess is that people will just walk away from the ruined parts of the Bahamas. I don't think the average American understands how long it takes to recover from a major disaster. People think that all is well when they stop seeing it on TV.
    https://www.eesi.org/articles/view/f...ricane-katrina
    Paradise CA will never be close to what it was--especially since so many residents are retirees, and given the shortage of construction workers in CA.
    As we see more and more megadisasters we will see more and more climate refugees and fewer and fewer places for them to go.

Hurricanes 2019 (and other Tropical Shit storms)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1635.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	293555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	293556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	293557

This is on the south east side. Right by the water so lots of debris is just gone.

Power in Freeport just came on. Yay for AC.

The news is also doing a disservice to Freeport by making it seem like all of Grand Bahama is a wasteland. Freeport will mostly be back up and running in a month. Locals are most concerned with their people, then their houses, then what’s going to happen to their businesses and jobs because the tourists aren’t coming back for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There is still bomb and artillery damage from WWII in Crete that hasn't been cleaned up. My guess is that people will just walk away from the ruined parts of the Bahamas. I don't think the average American understands how long it takes to recover from a major disaster. People think that all is well when they stop seeing it on TV.
    https://www.eesi.org/articles/view/f...ricane-katrina
    Paradise CA will never be close to what it was--especially since so many residents are retirees, and given the shortage of construction workers in CA.
    As we see more and more megadisasters we will see more and more climate refugees and fewer and fewer places for them to go.
    Detroit is full of open space. Stop being so hyperbolic.
    I still call it The Jake.

^^ he talks about climate refugees and you suggest they move to Detroit. You just made his point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^ he talks about climate refugees and you suggest they move to Detroit. You just made his point.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Get your coffee Harry and double check the batteries on your meter.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1635.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	293555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1622.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	293556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1628.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	293557

This is on the south east side. Right by the water so lots of debris is just gone.

Power in Freeport just came on. Yay for AC.

The news is also doing a disservice to Freeport by making it seem like all of Grand Bahama is a wasteland. Freeport will mostly be back up and running in a month. Locals are most concerned with their people, then their houses, then what’s going to happen to their businesses and jobs because the tourists aren’t coming back for a while.

Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Daily coverage of devastation and response/relief efforts on npr news hour.

The NOAA/trump/AL fiasco is pretty wild.
    That was what I was trying to type. Local NPR. Not BPR

Conte - all broadcast news is shit and has been shit well before trump. Fox showed the media how to do it. Sensationalism is profits. If your pissed at the media, blame the leader.

Hurricanes 2019 (and other Tropical Shit storms)

Any first hand reports from Abaco? Frankly it was on my list of places to go flyfishing and I think it’s off the list now.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Any first hand reports from Abaco? Frankly it was on my list of places to go flyfishing and I think it’s off the list now.
    probably cheap now and the fish dont care about hurriances.

Well, I was thinking more in terms of any of the lodges actually existing.

Have you considered fly fishing the River Rouge as an alternative?

Not recently, but maybe the relocated guides can pole me around those flats on Lake St. Clair for carp.

I meant “PBS” not “NPR”.

Here’s yesterday’s report
    https://youtu.be/ExoxQRvIPT4

Not recently, but maybe the relocated guides can pole me around those flats on Lake St. Clair for carp.

Win-win!

South side is fine. North side is close to or total destruction. We have guys there. They are staying in nice houses on the South side with limited to no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    South side is fine. North side is close to or total destruction. We have guys there. They are staying in nice houses on the South side with limited to no damage.
    Woah. Didn’t expect that.

Woah. Didn’t expect that.
    yep, I have stayed at a place approximately 25 miles south of the airport three times. Most recent communication from them was that "the lodge suffered only minor damage, but we doubt we will be able to make our intended October 1 [edit: opening] date due to infrastructure damage."

Note the use of doubt, not "won't". So, they should be up and running in a few months, and I would expect herculean efforts to get the tourism $$ going by the holiday busy season in parts of the island that were not wiped out. Go sometime. It's a great island, and I'm sure they will be happy to see some tourists show up and spend some money as soon as they get their feet back under them.
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 09-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Are you all talking about Abaco? In the interview that I just posted, the UNICEF spokesman they interview states that ~90-95% of population of the island has left the island/evacuated. Is that simply false?

I bet this tourist season will be dead. Good time to go if you don’t like crowds. Probably get some good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Are you all talking about Abaco? In the interview that I just posted, the UNICEF spokesman they interview states that ~90-95% of population of the island has left the island/evacuated. Is that simply false?
    Yes, I'm talking about Abaco. Put charitably, I would say the UNICEF spokesman was conflating the town of Marsh Harbor, its environs and its neighbors to the immediate east--Elbow Cay (Hopetown) with the entire island of Abaco. That was pretty much ground zero and had a lot of damage. Put less charitably, I would say the UNICEF spokesman is talking out of his ass and has absolutely no quantification of how the population of anything on Abaco has changed post-storm.

Some things I found online:

"The combined population of the islands was about 17,224 as of 2010, and the principal settlement and capital is Marsh Harbour."

"South Abaco is one of the districts of the Bahamas, on the Abaco Islands. The district had a population of 7,646 in 2010. Sandy Point is one of the largest settlements."

So, the UNICEF guy is saying that no more than 1,700 residents are in the Abacos right now? I'm talking out of my ass as much as he is, but I'm calling bullshit on that. Just for starters, I don't now how 15,000 people could have evacuated that island in the last week from a logistics standpoint.

Sandy Point is about 50 miles from Marsh Harbor and on the lee side of the island (MH is windward). I think most of that population in the entire southern district of Abaco is still on Abaco. That gets us way past 10% of the population of the entire island. The lodge I have heard from is about 8 miles south of the border between the central district and the [edit to correct typo SOUTH] district, and their reports at their lodge and in the vicinity are of limited physical damage. Quoting from an email received from someone affiliated with the Lodge: "The club suffered only light damage due to a combination of good architecture and very good fortune to be just a few miles outside the zone of maximum destruction (which seems to extended from Spring City, about 6 miles south of Marsh Harbour, up to Treasure Cay and Green Turtle - and maybe further). Cherokee, Casurarina, Crossing Rocks, Schooner Bay and Sandy Point were not unscathed but the damage was far less severe."

I don't mean to minimize things. The effects will be far-reaching. It's not a wealthy country, it's on an island, and I'm sure that dealing with all the garbage/debris, etc. and the difficulties of getting people food, water and other requirements of modern life probably will cause the population to decline significantly in the near future. Most Bahamians have relatives and/or friends on other islands. Many will decide to just relocate to another island rather than deal with trying to rebuild where they are confronting all those challenges.

As usual, however, I think there is a lot of media sensationalism involved and that it would be a mistake to write off visiting that entire island for years to come. It's a beautiful place, easier to access than many Bahamian islands, and they could damned sure use our dollars there in the immediate future. I'll go as soon as I have the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    "...we doubt we will be able to make our intended October 1 closing date due to infrastructure damage."
    They close October 1?