Question for the International Travelers re: Travel Advisories

Heading to Ecuador this upcoming xmas w another family. 4 kids ranging from 6-12. Hitting the Galapagos for a week or so then a few spots on the mainland for another week. We're doing a few days in the Amazon at an eco lodge and have to fly into Lago Agrio which happens to be in Sucumbíos Province which is currently under a Travel Advisory. We take a bus directly from the airport to the lodge so not much time spent "hanging out" but am wondering if I should have any concerns (mostly cause traveling w the kids). Trying to decipher the advisory a little (level 2 or 4?) which can be found here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Never really run into any Advisories before while traveling so not sure how serious to take. Thoughts/suggestions? Call the embassy/Eco-lodge? Wait it out till we get closer? Stop being a pussy my kids aren't that important?

I would not worry. We travel to countries where travel advisories are posted and none of them compare to the uneasy feelings I got wondering around Memphis. Sounds like you will be pretty well insulated, off plane right on bus no stops. Now if along the way the bus stops on the side of the road for no reason that's when I'd go to high alert mode.

Huh, that region is under a level 4 “do not travel” advisory, which is the highest level. Think I’d take it seriously.

Maybe contact the embassy to see if there have been specific incidents relating to your trip--eg bus from airport to lodge hijacked and tourists kidnapped. Is the crime targeting locals or tourists? Advisories are directed at all travelers, including independent travelers going to remote places not usual tourist destinations.
    We were in Ecuador last year-- Quayaquil, Galapagos, Amazon lodge on the Napo River--we flew into Coca--and Quito, and everything seemed cool. But Coca is a bit south of where you are flying into and not included in the advisory. I note that the advisory allows embassy personnel to go to the north bank of the Napo River in Sucumbios.
    Are you taking a public bus or a lodge bus? I assume the latter. What lodge? We stayed at Sacha. Is changing to a different lodge an option? We enjoyed Sacha.

Upside of Ecuador--they use the American dollar, no need to change money. Downside--they use the American dollar so American prices.

I've traveled in a number of places with pretty high travel advisories without too much worry. Kashmir was definitely on the "Do Not Travel" list while I was last there. Now that I have a kid, I'd probably be more likely to stay out of 4s, but I would do more research to see what was going one and the specifics of where I was going. A lot of the places I went, I was more scared of dying in a mountain road accident than the reason that the warnings were issued.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Maybe contact the embassy to see if there have been specific incidents relating to your trip--eg bus from airport to lodge hijacked and tourists kidnapped. Is the crime targeting locals or tourists? Advisories are directed at all travelers, including independent travelers going to remote places not usual tourist destinations.
    We were in Ecuador last year-- Quayaquil, Galapagos, Amazon lodge on the Napo River--we flew into Coca--and Quito, and everything seemed cool. But Coca is a bit south of where you are flying into and not included in the advisory. I note that the advisory allows embassy personnel to go to the north bank of the Napo River in Sucumbios.
    Are you taking a public bus or a lodge bus? I assume the latter. What lodge? We stayed at Sacha. Is changing to a different lodge an option? We enjoyed Sacha.

Upside of Ecuador--they use the American dollar, no need to change money. Downside--they use the American dollar so American prices.
    sounds like it's targeting locals so there's that....
    i'm guessing lodge bus but i'll have to check. staying at Siona Lodge (Cuyabena Reserve). prob could change lodges (not paid yet) but flights are booked so would have to switch that.
    pm incoming w some off topic questions about your trip if you don't mind.

A little danger makes for memorable trips.

I'd make sure I had proper medevac coverage/plan before anything.

aren't there other countries that have a travel advisory on the USA ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Canadian government recommends not travelling within 20km of the Columbia border... or the border with Peru due to mine fields.

I think we flew some folks back from there because of civil unrest... but can't find it. Stick 100$ US bill in your shoe in case of needing to pay someone to fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    sounds like it's targeting locals so there's that....
    i'm guessing lodge bus but i'll have to check. staying at Siona Lodge (Cuyabena Reserve). prob could change lodges (not paid yet) but flights are booked so would have to switch that.
    pm incoming w some off topic questions about your trip if you don't mind.
    sure

sweaty shoe money always saves the day....

Galapagos are safe but the rest with regards to your children I would say no but I tend to be more conservative.

Had since trouble in Guyaquil (very uneasy there) and some business associates were kidnapped by a taxi driver, robbed, stripped naked and dumped in Lima.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ICantLogIn View Post
    We travel to countries where travel advisories are posted and none of them compare to the uneasy feelings I got wondering around Memphis.
    Lol @ Memphis. Downtown Memphis late at night was definitely one of the times I've had to be on my toes the most in all my travels.

As far as travel advisories go, often times they're based on reported incidents, and sometimes with US intelligence operatives who are more aware of things going on in the area. For the most part though, you'll be alright if you're street smart enough when it comes to foreign travel and not some clueless touron completely unaware of their surroundings.

Name:  IMG_4802.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  27.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I used to own a 1979 International Traveler. It was a long wheelbase version of the Scout. Mine was jacked up and had tons of rust. Fun car, I think I was 20 or 21, in the military. Sold it to another sailor for $500.
    Name:  IMG_1820.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  27.6 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters