Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks, I will check out the Bacon. It did seem like in the reviews the Vision was geared for not just the BC.

I just want to find a fun lighter ski with a tighter turn radius then the Cochise and much less work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Vision doesn’t make sense as an inbounds ski. There have been a number of reviews that mention using it in bounds... but it just doesn’t make sense for that application.

Buy the Bacon instead. It’s still light and playful.
    I would have thought the same but my husband Andrew says the Vision is going to be his everyday ski next yr so I wouldn't count it out. We ski JH and I'd say he's close to 50/50 inbounds to OB. Then he tours maybe once a week or maybe a little less
    He's been on the sick days the past few yrs but he is all about the visions. I think he has been surprised by how well they do in bounds, on ice, etc. - especially for their weight. Although he is a bit on the lighter side- 165-170/ 6'- he's been on the 189 but he likes the 183's too
    even tho he says the Sick days are his best friends (and me, and our dog) he's all about the vision this winter

then he skis the pescado's on really deep days
    skid luxury

I keep hearing things like this about the vision. I think athletic and balanced skiers can make most skis work and learn how to have fun on them in a variety of conditions.

I just can’t think of a lot of resort conditions where the Vision would really have the upper hand over the Bacon. That being said, once you are touring on them a bit I could see how that would change.

I would love to try a pair of 108’s as a touring ski. Seems like a sweet setup to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I would have thought the same but my husband Andrew says the Vision is going to be his everyday ski next yr so I wouldn't count it out. We ski JH and I'd say he's close to 50/50 inbounds to OB. Then he tours maybe once a week or maybe a little less
    He's been on the sick days the past few yrs but he is all about the visions. I think he has been surprised by how well they do in bounds, on ice, etc. - especially for their weight. Although he is a bit on the lighter side- 165-170/ 6'- he's been on the 189 but he likes the 183's too
    even tho he says the Sick days are his best friends (and me, and our dog) he's all about the vision this winter

The Bacon will do that without issue. I think the vision is going farther than you need to. If you get along with the Cochise at all... the Bacon will feel SUPER playful while making an easier transition.

I have some bigger skis like your Cochise and Line Pescado’s for playing around. They are very different and it’s fun to switch it up.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Thanks, I will check out the Bacon. It did seem like in the reviews the Vision was geared for not just the BC.

I just want to find a fun lighter ski with a tighter turn radius then the Cochise and much less work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The Bacon will do that without issue. I think the vision is going farther than you need to. If you get along with the Cochise at all... the Bacon will feel SUPER playful while making an easier transition.

I have some bigger skis like your Cochise and Line Pescado’s for playing around. They are very different and it’s fun to switch it up.
    Thanks, I have been thinking the Bacon might be a bit too playful and I should look at the Sickday 104. I am not set on a Line ski, but that one seems to be really well regarded.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Thanks, I have been thinking the Bacon might be a bit too playful and I should look at the Sickday 104. I am not set on a Line ski, but that one seems to be really well regarded.
    I have some 110 Sick Days and have nothing but positive things to say. Thinking about picking up a pair of the 104s as well a bit longer so I can let them run a little more, but the areas we ski most (Colorado Ikon stuff) reward skis you can spin more than ones that can run. But we spend 20-30 days other places, so I'd love a longer version for that. The longer options I have now are due to be updated, so I'm slowly shopping.

I think there is a large difference between the Bacons and the Sick Days. Days have a stiffer tail, which I like, and feel a lot better in crud and on landings. I can carve them more also - generating more power. Both are light and don't do as well at speed unless you are a supernatural skier like BBear's SO, but Sick Days work for me there well enough, while Bacon's flop around more, at least in my mind.

I'm fooling around with adding another longer ski more targeted at faster slashing, smearing, etc than the SD 110s I currently have, and I'm looking at Kartel 108s, K2 Marksman, K2 Mindbenders, Bent Chetler 120s, etc. Still kind of fooling around with the choice. But the fact that Sick Day 104s are on that list when I already have a very similar pair is high praise.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Sorry for bumping the other thread...I was afraid I was taking over this one as the sick day and bacon were not asked about....haha

Pulled the trigger today on some new 2019 Sick Day 104s (only graphic change for 2020) for $400. Seemed like a decent deal.

Did the math and new boots, skis and bindings is going to lighten my setup by 1.75Lbs this season....PER FOOT.

Help me buy a ski... Line Vision v faction prime v G3 SeekR

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post

So I got on my Visions today on the pass and I’m not 100% sold. First lap was alright, we skied somewhere near the Idaho/Wyoming boarder, but not great. It was my first run on the skis and they didn’t instantly click with me, as the Candide 3.0s did earlier in that week. Second lap I started to feel what the issue was a bit more. I think it’s a combination of the tips being on the softer side, the tails being pretty stiff, and the ski being 5 cm shorter then almost everything else I usually ski.

If I’d drop into pow with any forward pressure on the front of my boots, the tips wouldn’t dive, but they would keep turning up and create a wall that stopped me. If I got centered to slightly on my heels, I was fine, but if I got back seat, I’d wheely out.

I think I need to spend some more time on them before cutting them loose. I think it’s fairly telling that Andrew, and my roommate (5’ 5” 135lbs soaking wet) both really like the 189. My roommate likes the 183s too, but definitely prefers the 189s.

I’ll see how the next few days go on them, but considering how easy it was to ski the Candide 3.0s, I doubt I’ll keep the Vision 108s for long. Instead, find a decently priced pair of 194 Candide 3.0s and move my Kingpins to them.

Last edited by skibrd; 12-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.

I skied a couple of days on the Line Vision 189s last season and have been on the 183s for about 10 days touring this season.

I really didn't get enough time on the 189s for a significant impression, and they were also too long for me (I'm 5'9"). The 183s are ~1600g /ski, and I've paired them with a set of Dynafits. The entire ski has a pretty medium flex, with moderate rocker in the tip and a little less in the tail.

I haven't been in any crazy deep powder, no more than 6-8" at a time, but the Visions float surprisingly well for a 108 waisted ski, and I haven't experienced any tip diving or instability.

Now I'm not going to say the Visions are "totally bomber and can ski through any crud with ease" BUT, I will say they outperform anything else in this weight class, while combining a playful aspect that would totally compromise similar skis ability to perform. They hold up well at higher speeds and overall I have no complaints on performance given its weight class.

Dylan, (5’ 5” 135lbs soaking wet) prefers the 183, but had no issues with the 189.

What are you guys mounting visions with? 300g touring bindings? Tectons? Shifts?

I have dynafit rotation 12s on them

Has anyone who set these up with tech bindings played around with the mount point? Wondering if a little farther back makes more sense for touring....float, kickturns, etc

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    What are you guys mounting visions with? 300g touring bindings? Tectons? Shifts?

I’ve got Kingpins on mine.

This is a hunch but I’m guessing a Vision 108 with a 600 gram binding wouldn’t ski as well as a Bacon with a 300 gram binding and the setups would be about the same weight.

But a vision with a 300 gram binding would be similar weight to a zero G with a similar binding and be a whole lot more fun and less punishing to ski in variable conditions.

Different skis do different things well, a 1600 gram ski will never ski like 2000 gram ski with current technology, although the light skis are getting closer to having acceptable performance in firmer snow conditions.

Help me buy a ski... Line Vision v faction prime v G3 SeekR

I was just coming here to say that I skied the vision 98 in a 179 yesterday for the first time and I liked it so much.
    Mounted mine with looks but they still feel light as a feather compared to my usual hojis.
    Really easy to ski. it wasn’t that deep yesterday so can’t totally assess the float but they skied the chop of the bowl etc great, the lightness in the bumps was great and nice to have a little sidecut for when you want it. really stable skis overall
    I was surprised how much I liked them. just easy to hop on and charge.
    I think I’ll also be getting the Vision 108 or the sakanas (have to see what santa brings) but I might be on these as my everyday ski. and those that know me here know that it’s pretty tough to get me to ski much beside my hojis
    Skibird- interesting about your experience with them in the deeper snow. Kinda makes sense though as they seem more stable than floaty to me but will have to ski them around more.
    Andrews 6’ but pretty light at 165ish
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I was just coming here to say that I skied the vision 98 in a 179 yesterday for the first time and I liked it so much.
    Mounted mine with looks but they still feel light as a feather compared to my usual hojis.
    Really easy to ski. it wasn’t that deep yesterday so can’t totally assess the float but they skied the chop of the bowl etc great, the lightness in the bumps was great and nice to have a little sidecut for when you want it. really stable skis overall
    I was surprised how much I liked them. just easy to hop on and charge.
    I think I’ll also be getting the Vision 108 or the sakanas (have to see what santa brings) but I might be on these as my everyday ski. and those that know me here know that it’s pretty tough to get me to ski much beside my hojis
    Skibird- interesting about your experience with them in the deeper snow. Kinda makes sense though as they seem more stable than floaty to me but will have to ski them around more.
    Andrews 6’ but pretty light at 165ish
    Yeah, I’ve got 4 inches and 50 lbs on Andrew. I can definitely see how someone smaller, like your hubby or MadRiverFreeride (who I have 80lbs and 11 inches on) would really like the stability in low snow and the deep snow performance of the 189s. The Vision 108 is a really good ski for some people, I just think I’m too big for them, and they don’t provide enough support for my 215 lbs. I’d like to try the 108s in a 19X, the weight and feel is nice, they just don’t have enough support for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EricB View Post
    Has anyone who set these up with tech bindings played around with the mount point? Wondering if a little farther back makes more sense for touring....float, kickturns, etc
    Got my 183s yesterday and want to put MTN on them soon. Anyone got an opinion on mounting back of rec?

Vision 108 Mount Point

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Got my 183s yesterday and want to put MTN on them soon. Anyone got an opinion on mounting back of rec?
    Where did you land on the mount point? I'm really interested in skiing the 189 Vision 108 and mounting as a full time touring setup w/ the ZED, but the mount point is about 2cm forward of my current 188's. I don't love tons of tail on steep uphill kickturns, so a slightly negative mount would be ideal if it skis well.

I tried -7cm from true centre to match my 186 Rossi sickles, but ended up at -5.5ish which is basically on the rec line. Negative mount was ok but rec skis much better and actually tours better too. Such an awesome ski. I've been really blown away by it's dampness vs. Weight and just over all versatility/funness.

Vison. But you can't go wrong with any of the 3

This seems like it kind of turned into a Vision review thread and I've had enough days on mine now to say I really like them. I'm 5'11, 210 lbs. Normally ski cochise or corvus at the resort if there's no new snow and bibbys on storm days. I mounted my 189 Vision 108s with some Dynafit Speed Lite 2.0s just a bit forward of the line since I was trying to reuse some holes.

I bought these from skibrd. The price was right and I had been thinking about trying them out. I thought there was a chance I might not like them based on his review but at the price I figured I could try them and sell them if they didn't work out.

I've got about 10 days on them and around 25k of vert, touring in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. Mostly soft conditions with one day of steep and variable snow and today was a spring corn day. I'm really happy with them so far. Feels like a huge improvement over the Moment Meridian Tours that I was on previously and I lost some weight switching to the Visions too. Float is good in deep cold snow, edgehold seems good for a 110'ish ski when things get firm and I think the little bit of camber helps as well. Compared to the Meridians these feel like a much more normal and substantial ski and I feel like I can get over the front of them more.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    This seems like it kind of turned into a Vision review thread and I've had enough days on mine now to say I really like them. I'm 5'11, 210 lbs. Normally ski cochise or corvus at the resort if there's no new snow and bibbys on storm days. I mounted my 189 Vision 108s with some Dynafit Speed Lite 2.0s just a bit forward of the line since I was trying to reuse some holes.

I bought these from skibrd. The price was right and I had been thinking about trying them out. I thought there was a chance I might not like them based on his review but at the price I figured I could try them and sell them if they didn't work out.

I've got about 10 days on them and around 25k of vert, touring in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. Mostly soft conditions with one day of steep and variable snow and today was a spring corn day. I'm really happy with them so far. Feels like a huge improvement over the Moment Meridian Tours that I was on previously and I lost some weight switching to the Visions too. Float is good in deep cold snow, edgehold seems good for a 110'ish ski when things get firm and I think the little bit of camber helps as well. Compared to the Meridians these feel like a much more normal and substantial ski and I feel like I can get over the front of them more.
    seems like a perfect place for this:
    looking for a new touring ski for PNW. going to be mounted with radical ft 12.
    rank these for me

in no particular order:
    deathwish tour 184 (only a few leftovers out there and not discounted, 2021 will be expensive)
    wildcat tour 108 184 (moment still has a pair of two on a slight discount, tolerable price)
    line vision 108 183 (stupid cheap leftovers out there)
    voile hypercharger 185 (no sales, price eh, tolerable but still high)

coming off a volkl nunataq, (which i thought was meh, found the flattish square-ish tail to be a little too locked in during sketch conditions)

im 185-190, 5' 8.5"

most of my inbounds are 185-190 (mantra, automatic 109, magic j)

but thinking of going shorter as a pure tour ski: is this a mistake for my fat ass?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    . . . looking for a new touring ski for PNW.
    184 V-Werks Katana . . . or change your name?