Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me buy a ski... Line Vision v faction prime v G3 SeekR

So I'm in the market for a light (no metal topsheet), 110ish underfoot touring ski. I've narrowed it down to 3 contenders... First off the AKJJ 195 is my all time favorite powder ski, I've also been incredibly pleased with my faction CT 3.0s for an all around resort ski. Basically I like tip and tail rocker and smearyness. I have a pair of JJs set up to tour for deeeep days, but they are to heavy for your standard lets go get some turns or lets go super deep into the mountains skis. I have a pair of salomon MTNs that are going on these.

Last season I skied the black crows corvus freebird (I think that's it, the 110 underfoot pink one), they were fine in soft snow, but in hard snow, when you need to say travers some ice while skinning, they were terrible. I think the carbon made them to stiff torsionally. I don't know what it was but gosh they sucked if I had to traverse or deal with ice.

So I've narrowed my choices down to 3
    Faction Prime 3.0:
    Pros: They look a lot like last years candide 3.0s which I absolutely love, just without the big twin tip. I'm confident that they will ski great. Leader in the clubhouse.
    Cons: They are a bit heavy (1850ish grams if I remember right). They are also a bit pricey.

Line Vision 108:
    Pros: A bit lighter (1600ish?!) and a bit cheaper. I'm not sure I've skied a line ski that I didn't like.
    Cons: Unproven ski. Also I'm worried about the construction overall.

G3 SEEKr110
    Pros: Light as fuck, least expensive, I really like the profile and shape. Also not that it really matters, but, they are the correct color.
    Cons: That whole carbon thing I didn't like about the black crows, I feel like that could be an issue with the G3s.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ak_powder_monkey; 08-30-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Dude, I haven't been on here for ages, and missed your fly fishing stoke. Post up AK fishing stoke if you get the chance please?
    Gone fishing

husband has been skiing the vision 108 since last yr so I'll see if I can get him on here to post any insights to help w/ your choices
    skid luxury

I think these three are actually fairly different. My thought is that the Factions are going to feel much more 'locked in' than you will like. Given that you like the AKJJ and tend to really enjoy skis with tail rocker I would take both the Prime and SEEKr off your list.

That being said, I wouldn't expect the Vision to hold up against any sort of ice either (like the black crows). If you want something a that will be okay in variable conditions you will likely need a little more mass. I'm sure you would really like the Vision in soft snow though just expect to have to ski cautiously in variable. Of what you listed I would lean toward the lines.

I would also think about the 4frnt Raven... it's a different shape than you've liked in the past but it will still feel loose while having some backbone to it. One issue could be skinning on ice... I wonder if the fully rockered shape was why you didn't love the Corvus while skinning.

You could also think about the Moment Deathwish tour.

Look into the amplid facelift. I have been on and liked the same skis you mentioned (jj and CT) and really like the amplid. It is surprisingly amazing in really deep snow and handles most conditions quite well for it’s weight. Blister has a pretty spot on review of them. I thought about trying the line vision out as well but given how good the amplid has been I’ll be ordering a second pair when my current pair are thrashed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a pair of the Line Vision 98’s I was a little unsure at first because they are so light but they ski really well I think they may be my new favorite ski
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

What's all this about hard snow and ice? I only tour for pow.

I had a really enjoyable tour in the cottonwoods last season on a pair of G3 Roamr rentals, so based on that i went in blind and picked up a pair of Seekr110s in july when G3 was having their $200 off sale.

Ask this question again in December, and I'll have a more educated answer about the Seekr110s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    What's all this about hard snow and ice? I only tour for pow.

I had a really enjoyable tour in the cottonwoods last season on a pair of G3 Roamr rentals, so based on that i went in blind and picked up a pair of Seekr110s in july when G3 was having their $200 off sale.

Ask this question again in December, and I'll have a more educated answer about the Seekr110s.

Oh yeah, and their skins were on sale, too! The G3 trim tool is basically idiot proof for making precise skin trims. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I think these three are actually fairly different. My thought is that the Factions are going to feel much more 'locked in' than you will like. Given that you like the AKJJ and tend to really enjoy skis with tail rocker I would take both the Prime and SEEKr off your list.

That being said, I wouldn't expect the Vision to hold up against any sort of ice either (like the black crows). If you want something a that will be okay in variable conditions you will likely need a little more mass. I'm sure you would really like the Vision in soft snow though just expect to have to ski cautiously in variable. Of what you listed I would lean toward the lines.

I would also think about the 4frnt Raven... it's a different shape than you've liked in the past but it will still feel loose while having some backbone to it. One issue could be skinning on ice... I wonder if the fully rockered shape was why you didn't love the Corvus while skinning.

+1 on the Moment Deathwish Tour. You may want to check out this review before making a decision.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...deathwish-tour

I guess I'll add I'm not super concerned about skiing on ice, I just need to be able to traverse/skin on hardpack. The black crows skied just fine. I don't need a suuuuper smeary ski, just need to be able to drop my heels and slash when needed. These are skis for skiing super large alpine lines deep in the chugach...

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

Don't the prime and the seekr have tail rocker? Also the corvus only had early rise (I want no part of skinning a fully rockered ski). Could have also been the binding holding me to far from the snow, but gosh they couldn't hold an edge skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Don't the prime and the seekr have tail rocker? Also the corvus only had early rise (I want no part of skinning a fully rockered ski). Could have also been the binding holding me to far from the snow, but gosh they couldn't hold an edge skinning.
    Seekr has a decently deep tail rocker line. Not much splay. Perfect for burying your tails in kick turns. (Pic is of skis standing tips down, of course)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sierra_cement; 08-30-2019 at 01:05 PM.

My roommates reviewed the Line Vision for NewSchoolers and haven’t stopped raving about them since last March. That, and watching BBears hubby killing it on the Visions last spring, have them on the short list for me for touring skis for this winter. Everyone raves about the Visions stability, light weight, and composure. Not often what I hear about light weight skis.

If I can find a pro-deal I’ll grab a pair after my skis sell on here and eBay.

The line Vision 108 was the one of most surprising ski of the new crop for me. Phenomenal ski.

Prime is dumb and overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The line Vision 108 was the one of most surprising ski of the new crop for me. Phenomenal ski.
    Agree. Light, lively and not without guts when going fast.

Another fan of the Line Vision 108. Skied them last year on a nice mix of conditions from boiler plate dust on crust to 6-8” of soft cold smoke on a firm base. I could not believe how much I enjoyed these for their weight. I would ski them inbounds or out. Mount a tech binding on them and done, quiver of one touring ski for this guy.

Well shoot now I'm leaning towards the vision.

I’m partial to the Visions. I’ve been on the 189 with Kingpins and Full Tilt Ascendants. Great versatility within the personality of the ski. I’m going to move my kingpins to the 183cm for agility in tight places.
    super fun ski, playful and also trustworthy when conditions are terrible
    Last edited by b-bear; 09-05-2019 at 05:46 PM.

I'm interested in the Vision 108's as a pure touring setup.

As a smaller guy who got along well with a 179 Sick Day 104's in-bounds I'm debating between the 175's and 183's. Any thoughts? My everyday sticks are usually in the 177-181 range.

my husband says the vision runs a touch long (but so do the sick days) That said he thinks go longer since it’s so much more lightweight.
    BUT that said he just told me he was going to get the 183’s for a dedicated touring set up. (He’s been skiing the 189)
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    my husband says the vision runs a touch long (but so do the sick days) That said he thinks go longer since it’s so much more lightweight.
    BUT that said he just told me he was going to get the 183’s for a dedicated touring set up. (He’s been skiing the 189)
    I’m looking for a pair of 189s now. Sounds like a great touring ski for me if they run long.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m looking for a pair of 189s now. Sounds like a great touring ski for me if they run long.

There’s literally a pair in the garage you can measure. The 189 measures at 188cm straight tape pull if I remember correctly, it might be 188.5. Either way I wouldn’t say they measure long, they measure correctly. I typically don’t ski on ski that long but I really liked the visions, probably my favorite touring skis available at the moment. Right around 1700 grams in the 189, I believe blister measured the 183 at 1600 grams.

By far a more fun touring ski than something like a zero G, marginal weight gain with a very large increase in performance and fun factor, I detuned the tails a lot so that they were a little looser for quick maneuvers, they are also surprisingly stable for being so light, I skied a few days inbounds at jhmr on them in the spring and was very surprised by how well they did, I wouldn’t go as far as to call them damp, but they are definitely not pingy like most light carbon skis.

Durability tbd, line skis haven’t held up the best in the past but we’ll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    There’s literally a pair in the garage you can measure. The 189 measures at 188cm straight tape pull if I remember correctly, it might be 188.5. Either way I wouldn’t say they measure long, they measure correctly. I typically don’t ski on ski that long but I really liked the visions, probably my favorite touring skis available at the moment. Right around 1700 grams in the 189, I believe blister measured the 183 at 1600 grams.

By far a more fun touring ski than something like a zero G, marginal weight gain with a very large increase in performance and fun factor, I detuned the tails a lot so that they were a little looser for quick maneuvers, they are also surprisingly stable for being so light, I skied a few days inbounds at jhmr on them in the spring and was very surprised by how well they did, I wouldn’t go as far as to call them damp, but they are definitely not pingy like most light carbon skis.

Durability tbd, line skis haven’t held up the best in the past but we’ll find out.
    I tried to buy them from you and you said no, plus I don’t really need another pair of skis, but these would look nice with my Kingpins on them. Be a tad bit lighter then Shiros or Super Freerides with CAST 1.0

Any thoughts on the Vision 108 being a purely inbounds ski for Aspen area? Is it too light? I also have a pair of Blizzard Cochise that I can ski on any days when I need something a little beefier....or a lot beefier. haha
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Vision doesn’t make sense as an inbounds ski. There have been a number of reviews that mention using it in bounds... but it just doesn’t make sense for that application.

Buy the Bacon instead. It’s still light and playful.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Vision 108 being a purely inbounds ski for Aspen area? Is it too light? I also have a pair of Blizzard Cochise that I can ski on any days when I need something a little beefier....or a lot beefier. haha