Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    My son had to take some pre-season cognitive testing for HS fall sports. New thing this year with baseline testing. I am sure I was given a flyer about it that I never read. He's on the freshmen soccer team. Some of his basketball buddies made JV. He's like meh, it's exercise for the off season.

Never went out but I had more than my share of sub concussive and mild concussion impacts playing soccer and lacrosse. One in particular where the defenseman hit on the helmet full on hard swing. Didn’t play the rest of the game, dizzy.

God think how smart I’d be without all that dain bramage.

Similar to Icemans story, I had a friend take a chair pole to head.

1991 ish. Skiing Winter Park 12” new. Friend and I drop acid. About 1 1/2 hours later as the trip is kicking in fierce, we get on a chair. Old time middle pole double chair. Buddy looks to outside then turns to inside - bonnnnggg solid pole to temple. “Ouch!” He says. Says that he’s Ok, so like a couple of college age miscreants we ski down into the trees and stop to smoke some hashish. Ski down to a high speed quad lift and get on. About 3/4 of the way up, he starts going unconscious. I grab his coat and yell “stay awake!” He nods towards out over and over. At the top I help guide him off and take his skis off and walk him to Patrol. Awkward assessment follows - ‘your eyes are very dialated’ Heh, heh

I’m now in a panic/bad trip and convinced they’ll be calling the sheriff once they find out about acid and hash, so I mumble about telling friends and tell buddy to tell them about acid once I’m gone. I rush down and stash the hash in the parking lot. Then call patrol. ‘He’s been taken down to the emergency room at the base’. Fuck, fuck, I’m convinced that he’s dying so race down there and scramble in, in a sweaty bad trip panic. He’s fine sitting in a chair. They start worrying about me b/c I ‘look worse than him.’

He was fine, but couldn’t party that weekend and I had to wake him up every couple hours that night.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Did some handy man work today and felt OK, but foggy/slow/hungover/light sensitive. Gonna listen to an audiobook and stare at my eyelids for Labor Day weekend instead of going to concerts in CO with my friends. Doh!
    Dicks might be a bit much if you're still recovering... good call.

Down time will be good.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Dicks might be a bit much if you're still recovering... good call.

Down time will be good.
    Would be 3 hours into a 10 hour drive right now. I know I made the right call. Head still hurts. Plus, I saved like $400-500 by staying home this weekend. If I feel better in a couple weeks I will go riding in Moab or something.

^Again take it very easy. Brother had a legit concussion. Two weeks with no symptoms at all. Goes surfing again. Has a face plant in the water. A fall that would be no big deal normally. Happens all the time. Seems ok at first. Gets out of the water dizzy and disoriented. It was a long two years until complete recovery after that. He’s back to doing everything he did before and is 100% recovered but it was a brutal six months of no work. No screen time. Dishes being put in the dishwasher banging together fucked with his head. A year after that of symptoms slowly getting less and less. 6 more months until feeling 100%. Same story with two buddies.
    It’s the 2nd one that gets you if you aren’t fully recovered. Take longer than you think.

TBIs aint nothing to fuck with

Severe ones can change your reaction to , well everything for a while. easy to anger, easily overwhelmed, snippy as fuck.

Recovery time can be long, I have sent months trying to get back on the right plane. I mean ya stil gotta work and all but, its tough.

This book given by a friends mom who had similar saved my ass https://www.amazon.com/Brainlash-Max.../dp/1932603409

had 2 big ones very close, pre and post helmet skiing.

Nice dent n the skull and plates to boot if ya ever wanna rub my noggin

2nd one helmet save my life but stil loads a sloshing.

Don't know if it was only a Canadian thing they were called Super Slider Snow Skates. Basically plastic covers for your boots. Went down a hill and woke up in class. I never forget how I was writing the number 4 with a pencil and broke the tip as soon as this massive surge of pain hit me. I freak out the entire class how hard I was screaming. I think it was grade 4 when it happened.
    Only after a week when I went back to school my friends filled in the gap. They said I fell back and got up as nothing happened.
    Still don't remember it happening but fuck me it caused so much damage to the back right side of my head.
    Fast forward to my early 20's and ringing in the ear started which drove me nuts. The worst part was the vertigo that had me bed ridden for the better part of a year and a half. My right ear still rings and vertigo isn't anywhere as bad as it used to be but I lost a lot of hearing in that ear which I gained back over time.
    The head aches that followed were also crushing at times but that subsided about 10 years later.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

I had a concussion once.

Yah, so did I.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Some very interesting responses in this thread.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Well, what do you find interesting about them, Harry?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Some very interesting responses in this thread.

What I find most interesting is how everyone has such different experiences. Some people are out cold for minutes and are fine like a few days later. I remember everything and didn't get knocked out. Almost I guess if you count the 15-20 seconds where my hearing/vision were totally gone, but that happened like 45 seconds after I wrecked and was up trying to walk it off. Yet, I am struggling the last couple days. Kinda freaking out to be honest. Symptoms not worse than the first couple days, but constant which is weird after a week feeling like 95% and now I am back at like 65% maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy
    I mean ya stil gotta work and all but, its tough.
    It’s funny we worked together...
    Team scramblebrains!

Well you had Ned to keep track of things.

Don't mess with concussions

Presidents Day 2002. Cold winter and little snoe had conditions at Killington like an ice skating rink.

Suddenly it starts to snow hard. Cruising down and I get whited out and lose sense of direction. Try and stop and somehow must have started to go airborne and dodo know it as I was completely disoriented in whiteout. Land flat on my back on rock hard ice. Few people wore helmets in those days. Sure wish I had been wearing one.

Anyway, I think damn, I can't believe I didn't get knocked out. Concussions weren't as well known back then so I didn't get checked out. Went in for lunch and felt okay other than ears having a strange full sensation.

Ski the rest of the day and then wake up in the middle of the night with ear ringing. Ski the next day like an idiot.

The day after that after getting home, in addition to the ear ringing I start feeling really light headed.

Ear ringing and some light headedness has stayed with me ever since. I didn't get knocked out or have immediate symptoms but still have permanent injury.

Wear a helmet. Take head injuries seriously and rest if you have a hard knock to the head even if you seem okay.

Going to acupuncture in a few minutes to see if there is any relief. Pain mostly on the right/front side of my head which was the side of my head that I hit. Ughhhh.

First road crash for me about an hour ago. Helmet cracked, saved my shit.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well, what do you find interesting about them, Harry?
    I have never had a concussion, so I find the experiences of those who have to be fascinating. Lots of similarity, lots of differences. Makes it interesting to read each person's story.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Going to acupuncture in a few minutes to see if there is any relief. Pain mostly on the right/front side of my head which was the side of my head that I hit. Ughhhh.
    It might be a tumor.

Acupuncture helped for maybe an hour. Ughhh. Kinda freaking out now. A 3-4 day headache can't be good. Not really getting better. A little nauseas.

Acupuncture helped for maybe an hour. Ughhh. Kinda freaking out now. A 3-4 day headache can't be good. Not really getting better. A little nauseas.
    Maybe you should see a doc? Cat scan ? Idk . Hate to hear this.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

If you decide it's not bad enough to go to the ER, refer back to mntlion's post: rest, dark, quiet, no screens.

​I am not in your hurry

^^^this

Turn off the internal alarms

A quality indica would be ideal

Evaluate when the sun rolls around again
    ​I am not in your hurry

yikes