Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Good to hear. Keep it up.

I am not sure what help I can be but I am in Sapporo, retired, and not looking for work. My Japanese is nowhere near good enough to get a regular job here but I see jobs that I could probably do if I was looking.

Evergreen Outdoor Center in Hakuba is hiring. http://www.evergreen-hakuba.com/evergreen-employment/

With your knowledge and background you could find a gear shop to work in. ICI Sports is big into skiing and they are all over Japan.

My idea was similar to dongy's and the only reason I am not doing it is because US Social Security rules state that if I am collecting SS benefits before my full retirement age AND living overseas, I can not work for any income at all. But my idea is to organize and host trips for backcountry skiers to come to Japan to ski. I do it for my friends for nothing because it's the only thing I want to do. I find the most appropriate accommodations for the groups, make all the reservations, create a trip itinerary, pick them up at the airport, drive them everywhere, ski with them as a partner with local knowledge, and return them to the airport. I put together a budget on a spreadsheet and would have been upfront that the price I give them includes my expenses and a commission. It is explicitly unguided. I'm sure you could do this but the income would be only in winter and it really amounts to a seasonal job.

Translation/localization freelance work is something my wife and I have done as a team in the past. It's not steady.

Private English lessons used to be a lot more lucrative than they are now. But you should be able to find plenty of work for around 3000 an hour.

Eikaiwa work is exploitation and I would not recommend going that route even though you sound desperate enough, You would have no life or autonomy. Preschool would be better. I see lots of gaikokujin taking preschool kids out on outings, the little ones in wagons and the bigger ones holding hands and buddying up with a teacher. You would play a lot of games.

Schools public and private would be better. Colleges, especially 2 year colleges seem to have always had opportunities. Maybe less now than thirty years ago but worth looking into.

Trading companies would value your bilingual abilities, as well as tourism and as others have said, hosting and media services for the 2020 Olympics. If you would like an introduction, I have a friend in the States who works on a contract basis only for the Olympic Games running a research team for NBC. If you think that is something you could add value to and want me to introduce you, I would be happy to do so. PM me backchannel if you are interested in that.

I know a lot about resumes for US businesses but nothing in terms of what works in Japan. Let me know if you want my eyes on your English language resume and i will be happy to take a look. Unfortunately, I will be in the US and out of network for the next couple of weeks. If you are looking to update it my advice would be focus on the value you have created, use action verbs to describe said value, remove anything frivolous, and give it a simple but impactful visual formatting using bold topic headings, enough white space so the words you want people to read are easy to see, and be absolutely certain there are zero errors in anything you send out.

But the resume is only a tool to give people a snapshot of what you have done. It sounds cliché but networking is really the gold standard in job hunting. LinkedIn will not hurt and can provide a starting point.

Best of luck to you. I am sure if you open your attention to as wide a field of encounters as possible and listen you will notice opportunities that may have slipped by without capturing your attention previously. People talk about the Law of Attraction as if it's some mystical thing. But it really is just this. Opportunities are always swirling around us. We just don't notice them if we aren't in the mindset of being open and taking action to meet more people.
    Last edited by telepariah; 08-31-2019 at 03:45 PM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Another idea.

Ryokan cycling tours. Not guided, but all planning, detailed maps and route descriptions provided, and bags transported from ryokan to ryokan. You know the mountains, can do the planning and negotiate with the Ryokan owners.

Check www.girolibero.com

My wife and I have done a few in the Alps, and it's been a super fun way to see place you might now otherwise have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i smell.
    OK I am calling you out!!

DRUNK POST

carry on.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'll be posting more answers in the future. Too much stimulus to reply to right now.

Regardless...

Anyone want a ski rack? This is a prototype I built for my own home that was designed as a template for future builds. As in... it disassembles and packs down to 18"x6' for shipping purposes. My goal when outlining this potential business model was establishing a prototype that I could build jigs off of... and then an assembly line for shipping to resorts, hotels, shops, for display cases, sales, storage. All on a built-to-order purchase plan.

Hand built,
    Copper sheet plated bench. (Everything red that you see is treated copper sheeting. It's gorgeous, and bomber.)
    Birch ply siding, 2x2cedar framing behind that ply,
    4 AC power outlets for waxing irons, p-tex guns, etc.
    LED lighting,
    Holds 14 pairs of big-boy sized powder skis,
    two drawers masked behind beautifully weathered redwood faces.

Anyway... here is the prototype.
    Attachment 292708
    Attachment 292709
    Attachment 292710
    Attachment 292711

I spent more on materials than should be admitted as it was for my personal home and is now a sunk cost... so feel free to make an offer.

Those in Reno can pick up or I'll sort out a delivery.

Those stateside who want it disassembled and shipped will have to apply a bit of brain power to reassemble it. But I'll make that easy for you with color-coding connection points and obviously include all the hardware.

The whole unit plugs into your wall's power supply.
    Did you make one that holds real man skis? Is that how it is in Japan Just Smaller?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I'm very very good at resumes and would be happy to edit yours up, but my knowledge is only applicable to the English speaking world. Pm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm very very good at resumes and would be happy to edit yours up, but my knowledge is only applicable to the English speaking world. Pm me.
    I'll hit you up on that soon! Thank you! That's awesome.

I’m going to tell you my story.

This thread has become classic TGR— an outpouring of support from an amazing family of skiers who know very little about what is happening, so let’s get real.

Before I go any further I think it’s of my duty to lay it all out. I will not answer any questions in the future to any specifics in this very public thread. I’ll be writing to save my identity and protect those who are not in a position to defend themselves in this thread.

No, I don’t have time for this right now. My kids are going to bed. I have to go to bed. But you ruthless maggots are so damn supportive that I can’t progress forward until I am certain that you all understand what it is you are supporting. So… I have to tell you my story. That’s the next step.

Plus, it’s therapeutic. And it’s educational. It helps me in more ways than you know.

Verbal abuse is real. I didn’t know what that was, aside from a term I had heard at various points in my life. But verbal abuse, in the constant day-to-day form in which I received it, was enough after several weeks to make me understand that it was changing my brain. It was making me incapable of thinking, of learning. I was in defense mode.

Let’s back up.

5 years ago I thought it would be a good idea to create an action sports contest in Japan. I was a HS teacher who saw HS students not really of the take-a-risk lifestyle. They weren’t dating. They weren’t fighting in class, they weren’t studying, and they weren’t really willing to fail at anything. Kind of the opposite of the innovative culture and generation we all hope to have nursing us into our senior years and end-of-lives.

I would prefer that my doctors were inventors, too. Not follow-the-diagram handbook readers for delivering medicine.

Innovation comes from a culture. It comes from friends cheering on friends who are trying new things and constantly failing. If you go to a skatepark, you see a group of people who have accepted the fact that they are going spend the day failing. That’s the foundation to an innovative society.

So— let’s build that. Let’s build a huge international freestyle ski/snowboard/skateboard/bmx contest that comes to town each year and becomes part of our culture.

I garnered local support. I pitched the Governor. I pitched the Mayor. I raised funds locally. I spent my own money on train tickets, hotel rooms, site visits for numerous people to study possible venues.

Which ski resort has the right slope angles? Where do we put 30,000 fans? Who will provide us with the bleachers? How about hotel rooms? Catering? What does the marketing plan look like? Who is going to pay for that?

I put everything I had into it. It was always possible. I was chasing a carrot on a stick that I held myself.

Then I got a phone call. “We just bought four ski resorts and would like you to build us your event.”

Done.

They had the right venue, location, train stops… money. This was a no brainer.

But they came from Industry A. They built their empire in Industry A. They wanted me to protect their investments with Industry B, the ski industry. They wanted me to make a commercial to sell Industry A.

Let’s define Industry A. Industry A is an industry that you support. It changes the bad things you don’t like about global consumption of food. It solves obesity. It makes everyone healthy. This industry is 100% supported by the general public. (Yes, I’m writing in code right now. And no, it’s not food. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that there are two industries on which the company that is funding my project is functioning: A and B. I’m B.)

There are fifty or so people in Industry A, and two of us in Industry B… my boss and I. My boss comes from Industry A and knows nothing about Industry B. He was assigned this role.

I get an offer in January at a ski resort. 15 people welcome me to a huge reception dinner at a hotel. The Master Plan is revealed. I’m a small part of that… but that small part is my dream coming true. I worked five years for this.

“Holy shit these guys are 50x bigger than what I want to create. They are throwing money around. This should be easy.”

Blind.

I’m told to start in April. School ends in March.

Ideal.

I hire my replacement and have a very emotional retirement party with my education co-workers… all of whom helped me create these pitches, by the way. All of whom were completely aware of the dream goal I was trying to pull off. All of whom invested their own time and emotion into me pulling that off. Why? Because it was a story for our students.

The students helped me write the emails to the Governor and the Mayor. They helped me prepare presentations to pitch local companies for seed capital. They helped me convince the board of education that this was a good idea for our youth. They helped me ask for all that money. (to which the government ultimately rejected… but hey, that’s how this works.)

So when I got the call to quit my job, to build it in another town with private funds, the dream happened. We made it. All of our hard work finally found funding in the form of rejuvenating ski resorts. My students were stoked! They cried with me. They gave me flowers when I retired. They helped me write my retirement speech.

They friended me on Instagram. They asked me to keep in touch. They told me they wanted to come to the event. The told me to save them tickets. They told me to arrange busses strictly for our high school so all of our local people could attend. They asked me to schedule that. They asked me to arrange that. That’s what an event producer does. Right? Yeah… I can arrange busses for 500 guests. That’s easy math.

April comes. “Please wait.”

May comes. “Can you start in June?”

“Okay.” My personal funds dry up. “We’ll be okay.” My wife gives me that look out of the corner of her eye. “Gaijin, we’re broke.”

My company: “Please come to a big meeting with the TV company, one week before you’re on payroll.” “Uh… okay.”

My boss in that meeting: “I don’t really care. This is just a pet project to me. Maybe we’ll do it in 3 years. I want more media distribution rights.”

Me after the meeting: “Did you just offend the biggest name in TV for this event? Did you just destroy all of my work because you think you deserve distribution rights? Did you just call their entire brand a pet project to you?”

“Go home and rest. This is hard work. It’s negotiation. Start next week.”

Red Flag #3… 4? 8?

June starts. I arrive in Tokyo. I start my position in apology mode to a TV relationship I had spent 4 years cultivating.

Do you, the reader, have any idea how hard it is to build trust between two different cultures when it comes down to several million dollars in risk and return? Let me just tell you that it takes years. Years. Years to establish and mere seconds to lose.

Day one. Confused. “Here is your desk. Here are some pens. Good luck.” There are five people in this room. Two of them are day-traders. One of them is something else. One of them is my boss. He hates me. It’s clear he hates me. It’s in the eyes.

Day two. [screaming at the top of his lungs, pounding his fist on the table] WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHAT IS YOUR JOB? YOU HAVE TO ARTICULATE THAT TO ME!

This is in Japanese. I only understand half of what he is saying. But it’s making me so nervous, my brain shuts down. I can’t focus. I can’t translate. I don’t understand.

The screaming began on day two. Then it continued everyday for the next 12 weeks. Around week 6 I realized it was always in private. And usually in the morning. When he was hung-over, going into withdrawals.

Then in the afternoon he’d poke my belly, like I was a younger child he was trying to play with. That awkward smile with the “Are-we-good?” message behind his lips.

Then he’d take me to dinner. And beers. And Whiskey. By 10 I’d be drunk and really trying my best to pretend that I was used to this kind of work culture.

He asked me what time I usually go to bed. I said 10. He screamed at me for being weak… I should be going to bed at 2 or 3.

Then we’d go home.

(So you’re telling me you’re going home and drinking for another 5 hours? That’s why I have to deal with that hatred every morning?)

He picked me up once in the company car at 8 am. I had a coffee in my hand. Oops. He brought me a coffee. Now I’m the asshole for not being prepared to accept the coffee he brought me.

Time to scream at me.

We all reach a point where we have to survive. So we simply ignore.

Do you know that movie Full Metal Jacket? The Sergeant and Gomer Pile? That’s us. I’m Gomer Pile. I’m the idiot with poor Japanese skills who needs to be verbally beaten into the Sergeant’s form of acceptability. So I just ignore him and the result is this plastic looking smile on my face.

“I can’t deal with the emotions you’re riling up in me right now, so I’m just going to put you on ignore and pretend like I’m not even here.”

This is the point where the brain begins to change its wiring. There is something more scientific than I am writing right now, but you get the point. Our brains change from being able to learn, to being forced to defend. We go from sponges to shields. We lose our cognitive function. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the expression I’m losing my mind. comes from.

I go to a meeting. Another staff from Industry A (the whole meeting is Industry A) decides it’s a good idea to scream at me at the end of the meeting, in front of everyone that “You don’t look like you even want to be here. Would you energize the fuck up!”

“Gee… ya think?”

And then it hits me. They don’t want me here. I just sat through a meeting explaining how Industry A went from a 1 million dollar company 7 years ago to a 400 million dollar company today.

Wrap your head around that.

Why in the world would that entire company feel happy with the CEO buying 4 ski resorts in Industry B and building a sporting event as a commercial for Industry A that has seen more growth than is comprehensible?

My boss and I are the entire department for the Resort Development Division. He hates this role. He helped build the empire that is Industry A. All the other staff hate my division.

Break him.

The CEO wants his resort, with his gondola to the top of the mountain for his hot tub. The other staff? Not so much. The other staff all decide to break me. Verbally. Every private meeting was a berating. I was constantly told I was worthless. I was constantly insulted. And it took such a toll on me that I began to break down.

People all around me (that were outside that company) began to tell me to quit. To walk away.

I spent 12 weeks there. I spent 12 weeks being berated and insulted by people who were doing so with the goal of getting me to quit. Then, the Resort Development Division would collapse, and they could prove to the CEO that it was time to sell the debt of the defunct ski resorts.

We all get depressed. We all go through dark stages. We all stop planning our suicide because of the guilt we feel. So we begin planning the accident… that would remove us from that guilt. That’s a turning point when we realize “Okay… this is a little bit too much right now. I have to change whatever it is that is causing me to simplify these thoughts.”

And then we realize that it’s others who have saved us. For me, it was my kids. They saved me. They made me recognize that I was simplifying the solution as opposed to removing the problem.

I was so low that I was giving my children one of two options: A broke father, or a dead one.

So I did the most foolish thing any financially responsible father would ever do. I quit my job before having another one lined up. I quit with absolutely no plan or even an idea of how I would come up with my mortgage.

And you can see it in Island Bay’s post right here (#711, #712): https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Thread/page29

That was the Friday I quit. I sat at my desk and garnered the ability to grab my balls, stand up, and walk out.

That’s the story I choose to tell my kids. To show my kids. No form of abuse is worth whatever dream you think you are chasing.

My hair was falling out on my desk. I was removing it from my keyboard. I was in tears on a daily basis. I was hiding it because I’m a 43 yo male chasing something that was never going to happen. People like me don’t cry.

But I was. Secretly. I was breaking down every day after several hours of being on defense mode.

“Nothing can hurt me.”

That man destroyed me. He would call me into his back office and I would go into this trance… this mindless sponge of “I can take this until it’s over.”

"YOU THINK YOU HAVE A POSITION IN THIS COMPANY? YOU ARE AN IDIOT CHILD! YOU DON'T DESERVE THE DESK WE GIVE YOU! YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF LEARNING. YOU ARE STEALING YOUR PAYCHECK. GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE!"

And I caught it. He was right. I was incapable of learning. My brain had shut down... or-- it had shifted modes. It went from sponge to shield. that is a real transformation of the human skill set. We have that ability. We have the ability to adapt to our environment and change from learner to survivor.

But that's a notch backwards. Learner is above Survivor in my goals of progression. (Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs)

He pulled me down a notch in my human experience.

I endured that everyday for 12 weeks and never knew it was happening. After a while I was convinced I was handling it pretty well.

But then my wife began to hear it over the phone. I wasn’t hiding it at all from her.

“Come home.” (I heard that 4-5 times in as many weeks before I grabbed my balls and left.)

Verbal abuse is real. And the solution is walking away. It’s the same as any abusive relationship.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-03-2019 at 07:04 AM.

So in the midst of my biggest mental breakdown to date, when I am at my lowest point in history I begin searching around me for life preservers. I begin asking for help.

I call everyone I know and I tell my story.

I even tell TGR, because I know you dentists have seen more dirt than me.

So, while this thread began as asking for help-- I was and am sincere. I need a job. I need help navigating this. I just went huge but mid-air discovered that my trajectory is way off... I can't even see my landing.

** I will delete this thread the moment I feel I shared too much.

Dude.....Japans work culture in whatever industry A is, SUCKS....

Wish i could help. Im sure you'll land on your feet.

Man, I'm sorry. That must be crushing.

Thanks for taking the time to spell that out for us, Gaijin. That’s tough. I hope writing that helped you to resolve some things.

Nevertheless, that’s all in the past now. You need to be focused on what needs to be done next. One step at a time.

Do you see a path to remaining in Japan? If not, better to make the move now rather than later, when there are even less funds.

If you think you can somehow survive, and want to stay in Japan, better focus all of your energies on getting that next job. Have you tried contacting employment or temp agencies?

Here is an app I thought was interesting: https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/...mmigrants/amp/

Gaijin, it is time for the phoenix moment and you have the skill set to do it. You just need to muster up the strength and huevos to pull it off.

1. Form yourself as a consulting service LLC or equal to promote ski events
    2. Pitch yourself DIRECTLY to the CEO of Company A. Tell him the internal workings of Company A did not allow you to succeed before, but as an independent consultant reporting directly to him, you can make his ski resort dreams reality. Explain your vision and what you've been working toward and you'll find common ground, gaining you a friend in a high place. Give yourself a 150% raise while your at it.
    3. Soar above those company A drones and build your ski event dreams as your own boss while collecting Company A's money. Laugh at Japan's shitty, abusive work culture and ignore it, because you only answer to the CEO.

This works in the USA 90% of the time. Leave the position that is being managed like dogshit, leaving the CEO in a lurch, return as a high priced consultant to fix the CEO's pet project without the shitty middle management (and allowing him to save face on an otherwise doomed venture).

edit: and if that doesn't go down well, I have a friend in Carson City that owns her own small marketing firm. I don't know if she has room on the payroll for someone with connections to ski industry businesses that hustles like you, but I can get you two in touch. I believe most of her work is in local politics, so this could be a new revenue stream for her.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Gaijin, my maggot internet friend I do not have much for you other than fuck those fucking fuckers. And, you are a skier & a maggot.

Being thus you are in an elite group of experts in hand to hand combat, skiers of the extreme, fine chefs and Scotch afficianados. Professional when we need to be, "one of da boys" when the situation dictates.

Ambassadors, negotiators, Thespians, philosopher kings, benevolent community leaders and philanthropists.

Kidding. But you'll be fine bro and thanks for sharing.

you'll be alright mister!!

get out there, take it one day at a time, find a job and get after it!!

my posts were meant to rattle you a little, if you can walk, have hands and feet that work, you can work.

now get to work!

That sounds awful.... You were smart to get away, purge the bad thoughts from your head and find a job. You can do it!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Bites one is a perfect handle, you totally bite one. What a fucking tool.
    Good luck OP.
    crab in my shoe mouth

pertaining to border and state counties.
    Last edited by byates1; 09-04-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: legal waivers.

would have been cool if you could have pulled this off. good luck man, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Gaijin, it is time for the phoenix moment and you have the skill set to do it. You just need to muster up the strength and huevos to pull it off.

1. Form yourself as a consulting service LLC or equal to promote ski events
    2. Pitch yourself DIRECTLY to the CEO of Company A. Tell him the internal workings of Company A did not allow you to succeed before, but as an independent consultant reporting directly to him, you can make his ski resort dreams reality. Explain your vision and what you've been working toward and you'll find common ground, gaining you a friend in a high place. Give yourself a 150% raise while your at it.
    3. Soar above those company A drones and build your ski event dreams as your own boss while collecting Company A's money. Laugh at Japan's shitty, abusive work culture and ignore it, because you only answer to the CEO.

This works in the USA 90% of the time. Leave the position that is being managed like dogshit, leaving the CEO in a lurch, return as a high priced consultant to fix the CEO's pet project without the shitty middle management (and allowing him to save face on an otherwise doomed venture).

edit: and if that doesn't go down well, I have a friend in Carson City that owns her own small marketing firm. I don't know if she has room on the payroll for someone with connections to ski industry businesses that hustles like you, but I can get you two in touch. I believe most of her work is in local politics, so this could be a new revenue stream for her.
    That's pretty great advice if your connection with the CEO is strong enough to swing it. Maybe run it by your wife for feedback through the Japanese culture lens on the best way to approach the conversation, but you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot, right?

Dude. You need to get in touch with the CEO. They were banking on you walking away silently.. Pull out that assassin blade and start slicing balls off. Most of these guys only act like alphas until they get exposed.

I know from experience that you'll regret not trying because I was/am going through the some similar shit in the music industry. I had an idea in 2015, but I needed money and started going around talking to people.. I made the HUGE mistake of not making people sign non disclosure agreements. Long story short, no one gave me the money, but I started seeing parts of my idea being used by major artists, festivals and even in commercials..

To get the money I needed, my only option was to rebuild my parents' entire 4,500 sq. ft. house. Alone.. Took me over a year.. The roof was basically collapsing in on itself, rotten and moldy.. Same as you, I was breaking down in tears some days, watching my idea get used like a $5 hooker while I do manual labor from hell.. I felt like a bitch and damn near gave up..

Then, I realized that only parts of the idea were getting ripped off because I was at least smart enough to never give anyone my full vision.. I also realized they've basically been priming the market for the real shit.. I went back to the drawing board and the idea evolved into something more amazing than it ever would've been if they never ripped me off in the first place. Thanks guys!!!

It's not exactly the same situation as yours, but I'm telling you.. Even when you think it's over. It isn't fucking over.
    Last edited by SlyFoxxx; 09-04-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Bites one is a perfect handle, you totally bite one. What a fucking tool.
    Good luck OP.
    anytime you want to play. i am less than 120 min away. period.

I like Sly's advice. Go to the top, make them understand everything they want can only truly be delivered by you. It's the big gamble, but with little to lose, I think I'd try.
    I don't know the nuances of your sitch, but maybe you really are the best man for the job. Consider that, believe it and prove it.

I got no problem rooting for a guy trying to make a ski life.

Thanks for sharing that Gaijin. Sending you good vibes and love. You turned me onto Wim, game changer for sure, so thank you for that! I don't post much and rarely check out TGR in the off season but for some reason I remember seeing your post about hating your job in Tokyo and hoping that you could get out of that situation. Looks like you did. I don't have any great advice to offer you but after reading thru this thread I gotta say I like DJSapp's advice. I think that you could stomp the fuck outta that landing. You confirmed all the stereotypical things I have heard about the Japanese work place. Seeing how that is all true I would imagine that the whole 'saving face' thing applies as well. Go straight to the CEO and be the stereotypical American, 'only I can save the day!(and save you 'face'). You got this!

On a side note this thread has made me realize what an amazing community this place really is, like no other. I gotta start posting more and become more of an active mag.