Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Man, this is a tough one. I suppose there are no social services in Japan that you qualify for?

If you don’t have family that you can borrow from, I guess the next step would be starting a go fund me page or robbing banks.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    borrow from family.

do service industries in japan, like restaurants, give some cash (tips?) to employees daily? if yes, call-out friends in service industry (ie restaurants), and ask if they need a host, server, etc. lie about previous experience in other countries. or do the same in restaurants where you do not know manager or owner. bust ass and work hard. when not at work, bust ass to improve situation in the long run.

what about stripping?
    Family is close and I'm swallowing that pill right now. Stripping might make my wife jealous.

Any brands looking for distribution in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Man, this is a tough one. I suppose there are no social services in Japan that you qualify for?

If you don’t have family that you can borrow from, I guess the next step would be starting a go fund me page or robbing banks.
    I qualify for unemployment after 3 months but that won't ever be enough or come soon enough. And I doubt I'll ever be able to start a go-fund me page while being healthy.

Our posts crossed. Yeah, I’m pretty sure there aren’t really jobs that pay you to enter data online (but maybe someone.will correct me on that). There are plenty of jobs that allow telecommuting, but you need to already have the skills to do those jobs, like programming, and it takes education and time to acquire that.

No way to get back into teaching?

Expat English schools nearby? Need to jump on those asap and use the English degree. Or, teaching English in a Japanese school. Maybe substitute?

Now is not the time to chase dreams of industry gigs. Get to an in-demand job with low possibility of layoffs.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

May I ask why you don't go back to teaching? With 15 years experience you must have some connections.

A few bad breaks here and there and most people in our world could find ourselves in your shoes.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Is there a Craigslist equivalent in Japan? If so, sell stuff now!

However, I will get the ball rolling to help a mag and throw in some $, if for nothing else your 15 years of teaching. PM sent.

This probably doesn't help at all but we have a massive teacher shortage in B.C. to the extent that uncertified teachers are quite common in many districts.

I'm in Reno. Local business is booming, which I expect your Reno relatives have told you. How likely is it that you would be relocating here, and what are your marketable skills / experience / education / etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

With your teaching experience...literally every state in the US is searching for qualified teachers. Even if it’s not a full time position.....they are dying for daily substitutes. Daily substitutes in my area make about 100.00 a day.....our good daily subs do it for a year...and then step right into full time positions.

No useful job advice from me, I've had the same job for 35 years. I can't imagine what job hunting is even like (I've had the same wife even longer, the dating scene would scare the shit out of me.)

What advise I can give is to accept help from all quarters given. No doubt somebody here could set up a gofundme page. After our house burned and we lots everything we owned people rallied around and helped us, and the maggots were great and supportive as well. There but by the grace of god go us all. Just having a bit to tide you over u til insurance and or you land a job, travel expenses if you come back to Reno, etc, can really help, and as many of us have done in the past, are happy to contribute some funds for a mang in need. I know you are not asking for it, but it is the kind of thing we do around here, and I big reason I hang in this insane little corner of the internet. We really are a wierd sort of family.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

So, you've been a teacher.
    I am guessing you ski.

Winter is just around the corner.

Resorts need ski instructors. As long as you can ski and engage people, that's all that matters for this gig (I've been one for the past 10 years).

Not a terribly $$$$ money gig, but I've had friends work in the Japanese ski instructor world and they make ends meet.

Something to consider.

And I feel your pain. I'm 52. Been a ski instructor for the past 10 years. Was a journalist before that. Don't know shit about the current job market or how i'd sell myself if I wasn't able to teach skiing.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Bloody hell, Gaijin. That was not the story I wanted to hear. So sorry.

Lots of good advice, and I'm in no position to give better practical advice than already offered by the collective. In general, though:

-do accept all help offered, and don't be shy about it.
    -ask for help, and people will give it.
    -try to not freak out. Use your breathing skills to keep you mind from running amuck.
    -try to keep a wide perspective and not get bogged down in details.

All the best, brother. Yell out, if you truly run out of cash. There are lots of good people out there (and here!)

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    First, shit happens, stop beating yourself up cause that won't help your chances, at all.
    A resume is a resume. Hasn't changed and there are plenty of online examples you can use as a template. Just speaking English and Japanese is a huge plus in the job market.
    Have you considered getting back into teaching?
    Also, where are you and are you able/willing to relocate. It's hard to find a place that isn't hiring around here.
    You have marketable skills and your'e going to be fine. Sucks I'm not working right now = Can't throw you a life line.
    I would say you look like a pretty safe bet. Maybe the maggots can keep shoes on your'e kids feet till you score,

Are you on LinkedIn ? Get that going again.
    You speak Japanese and have a teaching credential ? = 6 figure Job For any company that does "Who fucking cares"
    They will be calling you sooner than later.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    you mention you already have a resume. are you comfortable summarizing the salient points of it here (leaving out personal info)? edu history/degrees, past gigs with summary descriptions, skills etc. it may help some on this board canvas potential opportunities for you in their spheres of influence...

Assuming you speak Japanese and are somewhat familiar with athletics I would look into Tokyo 2020 as a potential. Contact Tokyo 2020 organizers or the US Team (other nations as well). It seems like you would be a good candidate and the fact that you already are based there is a big advantage. Best of luck.

What was the investment that you had fall apart?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Probably no imediate help.i think a business leading golf tours. Similiar to skiing but different courses each day staying at ryokan rach night.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    my folks are in Reno and while we are contemplating relocating...
    Burning man. You’ll find the answers you seek. 🧘🏻♂️

Vibes man.

Sounds like you are in fight or flight mode, which is a really bad place to be making complex financial decisions from. You are having trouble putting food on the table, take the money from maggots. You can always pay it back and the interest rate beats credit cards.

I got nothing on finding a job in Japan, but I’ll throw you a few bucks. You can think of it as an advance payment on one day showing me around some Japanese ski resort. Although that day may never come.

Seems based on what you've said you could parlay the knowledge into a job, at least temp with a resort/hotel that isn't about to go bankrupt...

Just throw the soba at the wall for a little while and see what sticks....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Help Needed-- No Shame Below

Sorry to read this. ++++ vibes++++
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 08-30-2019 at 09:07 PM.

How about set up an online college admissions help desk. Former English teacher you can read and edit real fast, good at eliciting more voice from the writer. Pretty easy to scope out the College Admissions Universal App. Pay as you go is instant money for you and likely a cheap investment for the students. Remote work from anywhere, almost no startup costs and can fit beside other things

If you stay in Japan ideally set up to cater to Japanese students looking to go to US schools

Do they have Uber in Japan?

Found this https://transferwise.com/us/blog/job...-for-americans
    Probably you already know those things since you have been there 15 years, but there were a few ideas that seemed relevant.