Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    When did you leave your teaching gig ? Any chance of going back ?

My friend taught English and did translation. It seemed to be a need in Japan and I also think basic tour guide and maybe if you can split out house for air B and B. But I agree that step 1 is gear dump and get some cash flow. Take any gig to make ends meet while you look for job. I can offer resume help if you pm. Hang in there

What about conversational English. Wife did that when over there....cash, lots of people interested too.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    With your teaching experience...literally every state in the US is searching for qualified teachers. Even if it’s not a full time position.....they are dying for daily substitutes. Daily substitutes in my area make about 100.00 a day.....our good daily subs do it for a year...and then step right into full time positions.
    This - with a masters and 15 years experience, I know a lot of schools would be - literally - fighting over you - in the US and in Canada. I also think (someone else mentioned it) Uber/Lyft, if it exists in Japan, would be a great way to get some income flowing while you job hunt. Ever work in the service industry? Resaurants/Bars are always hiring and are a good way to get some cash in your pocket asap.

For your immediate cash needs, I second what a lot of people have said here. START A GO FUND ME! I would happily throw you some coin for the same reason others have articulated here. Mags help out other mags. (especially when they're in dire straits). I would be willing to bet that you'd have a grand or more in no time. keep food on the table, keep your lights on, and so on, while you get back on your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    What was the investment that you had fall apart?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Curious about this as well. If it was a good idea - is it still? Should you be thinking Kickstarter and not go fund me as some have suggested?

You a rightly focused on the immediate issues but don’t lose sight of the long term.

The company we use for transcription, rev.com, has all their projects done on a gig basis. I think the hourly rate works out pretty low, but they also have projects that require translation, subtitling, etc., and those might be a little bit better. Sounds like they pay via PayPal every week. Maybe worth checking out: https://www.rev.com/freelancers

As suggested above, seems like private English lessons could be worth checking out. I lived in Japan for a total of about 4 years from 1994 to 2004, and as a college student I was able to pick up private eikaiwa lessons for anywhere from 2500 yen/hour and up. Maybe try to use your social networks to tap into some of those jobs? You're competing against NOVA, and it shouldn't be too hard to win students from them. If you can set up a few small group lessons, you can get into the 5000+ yen/hour range pretty readily.

I think your knowledge of properties that are open to acquisition is valuable to the right person, but unfortunately wealthy Chinese and Saudis don't hang out on TGR. Maybe someone here knows someone who knows someone?

I also agree with the poster that suggested English bilinguals will be in demand for the Tokyo Olympics, again, assuming you can get in contact with the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Tokyo Olympics
    seems pregnant with possibility for fluency + development knowledge

Help Needed-- No Shame Below

Why don’t you check out the guys at Hokkaido Backcountry Club up in Niseko. They are expanding to Honshu. Might be worth an email www.hokkaidobackcountryclub.com

Move back to the US and get a job driving for FedEX or UPS. They are always hiring and pay pretty well. Also, you could move back and get your CDL and drive a semi for Walmart. They pay $90K a year according to the interwebz.

Help Needed-- No Shame Below

2nd on updating your LinkedIn profile. It’s main purpose for me was to email people whom I didn’t have emails for anymore, (which basically was everyone I knew through business). I got a job through a message on it that said “I may have a job for you”, then gave their phone number. Also headhunters troll it.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hey guys. There are a lot of questions that I need to be answering.

I don’t want to look ungrateful to anyone as I am a bit overwhelmed with the support and not doing a very good job communicating.

I’ll be replying in more depth soon. But I need a few days to get grounded and clear my head.

I’m writing my story now and will post it soon. I think it’s important for all of you to know what happened, why I’m here and why I need help getting my life together.

But I’ll be writing it as to respect third parties and brands. If you do manage to guess which brands I’m talking about, please let the anonymity remain that way.

Truthfully, I need your continued trust right now. TGR is a human community to me.

I started a GoFundMe in the past for my cousin’s daughter who was murdered by her ex. He threw gasoline on her and set her in fire while she slept. She died in her neighbors arms across the street and left her son. I started the fund from here in Japan and posted it on Imgur. It was immediately thought of as a scam and I was heartbroken.

We live in a special time when we can get help immediately from strangers. I want to respect that system. So I would like to tell my story first.

That way those who want to help will be in a position of knowledge on how they feel they best can help. Through my story will come my skill sets, my connections (kinda) and the massive fork in the road I now need to navigate.

In the interim, my in-laws are helping financially, and I am communicating with the national employment office.

Thank you for being the community you are. I will drop some long posts in in a few days so you get a bigger picture of why Gaijin is breaking down in spirit and reaching out to the collective for guidance.

Much Obliged,

Shit, I'm sorry to hear this.

I think we have a bit in common. I'm 43, taught English in Yonezawa for a couple years (1999-2001), have a wife from Okitama, and now live in Tahoe but work in Reno.

Anyhow, I don't have much advice that you wouldn't already know--e.g., local teaching jobs with private schools and tutoring. Hopefully you can remain in Japan. If not, as El Chup mentioned, Reno is booming.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Hey guys. There are a lot of questions that I need to be answering.

I don’t want to look ungrateful to anyone as I am a bit overwhelmed with the support and not doing a very good job communicating.

I’ll be replying in more depth soon. But I need a few days to get grounded and clear my head.

I’m writing my story now and will post it soon. I think it’s important for all of you to know what happened, why I’m here and why I need help getting my life together.

But I’ll be writing it as to respect third parties and brands. If you do manage to guess which brands I’m talking about, please let the anonymity remain that way.

Truthfully, I need your continued trust right now. TGR is a human community to me.

I started a GoFundMe in the past for my cousin’s daughter who was murdered by her ex. He threw gasoline on her and set her in fire while she slept. She died in her neighbors arms across the street and left her son. I started the fund from here in Japan and posted it on Imgur. It was immediately thought of as a scam and I was heartbroken.

We live in a special time when we can get help immediately from strangers. I want to respect that system. So I would like to tell my story first.

That way those who want to help will be in a position of knowledge on how they feel they best can help. Through my story will come my skill sets, my connections (kinda) and the massive fork in the road I now need to navigate.

In the interim, my in-laws are helping financially, and I am communicating with the national employment office.

Thank you for being the community you are. I will drop some long posts in in a few days so you get a bigger picture of why Gaijin is breaking down in spirit and reaching out to the collective for guidance.

Much Obliged,
    get your fucking shit together, stop being a cuk hold bitch.

let me help you figure this mutherfucking shit out.

anyone got paperwork on this

imma put you in touch w some hard as fools.

not saying i smell a faker but grown men also cry.

i smell.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    get your fucking shit together, stop being a cuk hold bitch.

let me help you figure this mutherfucking shit out.

anyone got paperwork on this

imma put you in touch w some hard as fools.
    You are a total dumbass. If that's your slant, you posted the wrong video, duh. Also, the "real" chopper would have waxed your punk ass bitch.

(also, I do not know the prison translation for "waxed". If it means polishing ones knob, that is not what I meant. Rather, beat the fuck out of, humiliate, disembowl, those sorts of things, then that's what I meant)

Also, I should have added that I offered gaijin money. He refused. Doesn't seem to smell too much to me, but whatevah.

Spend the next week calling all your personal and business connections in your local area. Tell them your story. It is tough to do but look at all the outpour of support from the TGR folks. The acquaintances you have in your daily life will be just as supportive. You have a good story. You went after a dream and was shot down by outsiders, you didn’t loose your money on drugs or alcohol, you lost it pursuing a business. People will see your drive and you will make a connection that will lead to a job.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

no worries.
    Last edited by byates1; 08-30-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: effected

i'm so sorry. what was i thinking,

let me know where i can donate.

3pin grin, pm me please.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Also, I should have added that I offered gaijin money. He refused. Doesn't seem to smell too much to me, but whatevah.
    did you see how you did that.

I'll be posting more answers in the future. Too much stimulus to reply to right now.

Regardless...

Anyone want a ski rack? This is a prototype I built for my own home that was designed as a template for future builds. As in... it disassembles and packs down to 18"x6' for shipping purposes. My goal when outlining this potential business model was establishing a prototype that I could build jigs off of... and then an assembly line for shipping to resorts, hotels, shops, for display cases, sales, storage. All on a built-to-order purchase plan.

Hand built,
    Copper sheet plated bench. (Everything red that you see is treated copper sheeting. It's gorgeous, and bomber.)
    Birch ply siding, 2x2cedar framing behind that ply,
    4 AC power outlets for waxing irons, p-tex guns, etc.
    LED lighting,
    Holds 14 pairs of big-boy sized powder skis,
    two drawers masked behind beautifully weathered redwood faces.

Anyway... here is the prototype.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7380.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	292708

Name:	IMG_7368.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	292709

Name:	IMG_7366.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	292710

Name:	IMG_7399.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	967.6 KB 
ID:	292711

I spent more on materials than should be admitted as it was for my personal home and is now a sunk cost... so feel free to make an offer.

Those in Reno can pick up or I'll sort out a delivery.

Those stateside who want it disassembled and shipped will have to apply a bit of brain power to reassemble it. But I'll make that easy for you with color-coding connection points and obviously include all the hardware.

The whole unit plugs into your wall's power supply.
    Last edited by gaijin; 08-31-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Spend the next week calling all your personal and business connections in your local area. Tell them your story. It is tough to do but look at all the outpour of support from the TGR folks. The acquaintances you have in your daily life will be just as supportive. You have a good story. You went after a dream and was shot down by outsiders, you didn’t loose your money on drugs or alcohol, you lost it pursuing a business. People will see your drive and you will make a connection that will lead to a job.

This. This is my hustle right now. I've never been more outspoken in my life than this time in which I feel most humbled.

This world is a good place to be.