Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Outdoor Retailer cancels November show

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	392C7DC2-5335-4ADB-9488-957447AB5D2B.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	292383

This seems to be a trend. Trade shows seem to be falling out of favor as companies find new and less pricey ways to release their new products.

Why did OR add the Nov show in the first case?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Why did OR add the Nov show in the first case?
    I don't work in a shop anymore, but when I was a buyer for a shop a few years ago, most soft goods brands require preorders for the following fall to be placed in November or December. So the late January date of SIA is too late.

The folks I know that are still buyers are getting most of their business done at small regional shows or private meetings with their sales reps. They're not really bothering with the big shows anymore.

Wasn't this the one that SLC told to pound sand and people tried to make it some big deal?
    Live Free or Die

Aw, what are Instagram Outdoor influencers going to do now? No comped hotel and pass for posting endlessly about how great the new Merrels or Northface are?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Wasn't this the one that SLC told to pound sand and people tried to make it some big deal?
    I think it was the opposite. OR abandoned SLC because of the Utah politicians' stand on public lands.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think it was the opposite. OR abandoned SLC because of the Utah politicians' stand on public lands.
    Exactly right. Utah politicians see public land and think it's theirs alone.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Correct. Patagonia boycotted, several others followed suit, then OR pulled out of SLC completely. It was a big deal. OR had been in SLC for 20 years and the lost economic activity was close to $50 million, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Aw, what are Instagram Outdoor influencers going to do now? No comped hotel and pass for posting complaints about something?
    FIFY

Just like the coal miners, another living wage job destroyed by the PC elite
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I don't work in a shop anymore, but when I was a buyer for a shop a few years ago, most soft goods brands require preorders for the following fall to be placed in November or December. So the late January date of SIA is too late.

The folks I know that are still buyers are getting most of their business done at small regional shows or private meetings with their sales reps. They're not really bothering with the big shows anymore.
    When I was a buyer, we’d get some orders in early for the fall the following year if we were super pampered by the reps and the orders were a no brainer, but we would usually drag our feet until after the January OR show, get in our order and then still get all discounts. The “game” after that would be to delay payments as much as possible and still retain the discounts.

i know people who are personally infected by this and it's an outrage.
    Last edited by byates1; 08-27-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: effected

edit, affected.

Take 'em all back to Vegas.

Very curious byates what your friends do that are affected by this?

I can understand local businesses and workers that were counting on the influx of business from show, maybe a couple retailers are mad because they planned on getting a bunch of work done.
    But only 200 brands signed up for the show and I would bet that at least 50 of those shouldn’t even be exhibiting at an outdoor show.

Those brands that signed up are probably a bit upset but just saved themselves a chunk of dough. They will send their reps out to the regional shows, set up in hotels or fly in key accounts to get their business done in a better setting at a cost savings.

I work for a brand that stopped going to winter OR 5 years ago and it has been great to remove one show from the schedule.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

^ i'll have to get back to you on that.

it's byates1 btw.

Sorry missed the 1

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    Take 'em all back to Vegas.
    that pretty much covers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Correct. Patagonia boycotted, several others followed suit, then OR pulled out of SLC completely. It was a big deal. OR had been in SLC for 20 years and the lost economic activity was close to $50 million, IIRC.
    Well it seems pretty clear the show wasn't as big a deal as implied given they just cancelled it, like 2 years later.
    Live Free or Die

Well it seems pretty clear the show wasn't as big a deal as implied given they just cancelled it, like 2 years later.
    Summer OR was always much larger than winter OR.

And less fun. The winter OR always included opium.

If you read the post in the OP, it sounds like more of a postponement than a cancellation. Plus, there's still the summer show. The "big deal" was the economic loss to SLC.

Your right wing is flapping hard here and you're going in circles.

Yeah, that economic impact was/is definitely overblown as well.

50 million would require 10,000 retail shops to drop 5k a piece on incidentals for a weekend, or like 2k a person. No fucking way.

This show is cancelled. Pretty much every major outdoor brand, both established and start up, is pushing direct to consumer and retail is dead.
    Live Free or Die