Tires that won't come off the rim

eThirteen TRSr, Roost Carbon wheels, huck norris.

I couldn't get the bead out. I tried the usual hand tricks, I tried standing on it and pulling on the rim, I tried vice grips, I tried a real vice. I took it to a shop who tried all those things and sliced up the tire and said "sorry we can't get it it, good luck buddy."

I finally used a scalpel (#15) to carefully cut the aramid bead.

It wasn't dried out or anything, actually plenty-o-stans in there. I had to do the same thing on the other wheel.

I guess that means I can stop carrying a tube and boot for emergencies, because no way I can get it off on the trail to put the tube in if I gash the sidewall. I could try stans tape which is marginally thinner than gorilla tape I have in there, but seeing comments on the "how to remove a tight tire" vids, e13 TRS tires seem to be a common theme.

Any insight?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I had one like that (although not that bad). Wtb vigilante on a raceface nextR rim. Other tires on those rims are fine. Those vigilantes on other rims are fine. But that particular combo required some creative use of some c-clamps to break loose.

Especially with the smaller tire brands, it seems like the quality control isn't perfect. The diameter of the bead is just a little bit inconsistent, which means sometimes you get a tight one (and sometimes you get a loose one).

It's weird I can get them on by hand, no levers.

One of the guys at shop said the gorilla tape + stans race might be the culprit.
    Last edited by Summit; 08-26-2019 at 09:04 AM.

If you said the tire is already slashed, why not Tinsnips / wire cutters / or elevate it to center over rim strip stick a spacer in and Cut off wheel on dremmel?

As for how to do it without trashing tire, if you and shop failed I’m no help there.

Tinsnips work well, getting too good at it these days. I have asymmetric rims, can always get one side to break free but not the other. Fortunately that means I can get a tube in if need be.

The scalpel was a ridiculously easy and fast method if the tire is done for. Cuts through aramid like butter. Won't work on wire bead

Would like to be able to do a tube in it trailside though...

Wondering if it is the stans race reacting with gorilla tape adhesion on the edge of the tape like the shop guy suggested... problem is I can't test it now without probably cutting off the tires or at least spending another 1-2 hour on it. I guess I'll gamble that I won't have an "I need a tube" scenario. I'll carry some extra plugs and CO2.

"means sometimes you get a tight one (and sometimes you get a loose one"

sounds like some girlfriends I've known...

I got ridiculed for a similar problem, heh.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The tires on my gravel bike are like that. Can't get the bead to release by hand without some major effort, pain and cursing. Once you get the initial release, it's smooth sailing. At home, I've used a butter knife to pry the bead back until it releases. I should carry something with me, but I never get flats on the gravel, so I don't think about it. Tire lever is too thick, but you could maybe sand it down so that you have something to carry.

It's easy to get it on because you're not setting the bead, you're just putting the tire on.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Wondering if it is the stans race reacting with gorilla tape adhesion on the edge of the tape like the shop guy suggested
    I was told by my local shop to avoid gorilla tape because it reacts poorly with Stan's. This isn't what I expected, but try Stan's tape on one and compare.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

putting the wheel on a round trash can makes doing all this on/off stuff much easier, FWIW.

I helped with a cushcore instal last week its pretty much a 2 person job so it might be a tough fix if you are out on the trail without a spare body and the good tools
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have been using Stan’s and Gorilla tape on and off for 15 years, never had this problem.
    But that is one data point...(never have used the Stan’s Race, though)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cush Core related? I’ve used up to Double Down casing tires on TRS aluminum and TRSr carbon rims. Not super easy to get on/off (needed levers) but definitely not what you experienced. Tubeless with normal Stans.

My rims are Roost carbon
    It's the tires that are TRSr

No Cush Core, it's Huck Norris which sits in the middle of the tire from a radial view, not on the interior (rim/bead) like Cush Core.

I had issues with those tires on e13 carbon rims. Got em off without cutting but had to stand on them a lot. Didn’t mind so much cause they were done and I get a decent deal on Maxxis. Loved the grip of those trs but hated the rolling resistance.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air