Thread: Frame wrapping?

Frame wrapping?

Picking up a new Trance 2 and thinking of wrapping the frame for cosmetic protection, seems like a lot of options out there, anyone have any experience and could recommend anything?

Thank you

3M helicopter tape. There are also companies that make custom stickers but they can be a little expensive.

I've used All Mountain Style. It's a sticker-type protection and is pretty thick. Done a good job so far.

My buddy wraps his. It is effective. If also cost like $100 and took 3 hours to painstakingly apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I've used Frameskins, Invisaframe, and RideWrap.

The application of the custom clear bra kits can be a pain, but I would say is worth the swearing and effort for how well they protect your bike. It's also a bonus when selling the bike/ frame, people get a new looking bike or a bike with the kit already installed.

So far, RideWrap is my favorite. They're out of Function Junction, in Whistler. The kit covers what I would say is 98% of the bike. Shipping times are very respectable.

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-...MaAm42EALw_wcB

this ^^ is the cheapest option which actualy works pretty well IME, the 3M stuff comes in a is 4" wide 84" long roll, I wrap top of the top tube/bottom of down tube/stick pieces on the chain stays round the corners, its not a full wrap but it covers the places that take most of the hits and its < 25 $ at most auto supply stores

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	film 1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	641.1 KB 
ID:	292169
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-...MaAm42EALw_wcB

this ^^ is the cheapest option which actualy works pretty well IME, the 3M stuff comes in a is 4" wide 84" long roll, I wrap top of the top tube/bottom of down tube/stick pieces on the chain stays round the corners, its not a full wrap but it covers the places that take most of the hits and its < 25 $ at most auto supply stores
    And here I thought you were going to say Aquaseal.

I DO use AQS to fix the rips in bike seats

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat fix.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	972.2 KB 
ID:	292171

I got a buddy in the bidness who does the full wrap to keep the frame looking new,

he swaps out the stock wheels for his set of carbon hoops,

puts 20 rides on the bike and sells it with the original virgin wheels

he gets to own all the hot bikes, moves lots of product, doesn't lose any money on a bike

I have an Invisiframe kit on my trail bike. The shop charged $110 for the kit and install when I bought the bike, which I think was totally worth it.

I bought a roll of helicopter tape for my DH bike and did it myself. The tape was about $30 and I spent a few hours doing it with decent results, but it wasn't worth the cost savings IMO.

The precut kits are expensive.

I just bought some cheap vinyl and wrapped a frame once because I knew I'd be selling it soon. You get better protection and way more of a headache doing the whole thing by yourself. It does look better than those precut band aid looking things.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thanks all for the feedback, greatly appreciated!

I always worry about the risk of paint damage on removal of the different tape/film options...and also, seems as if you protect certain areas, then the unprotected areas get some wear or fade at different rate, then if you were to remove the tape you have a super fresh area next to a non-covered area, like along the edge of where the tape was, an could end up looking more like shit than it's worth?

I used some helicopter tape and it definitely damaged the finish on my bike when I removed it. Got a bit hazier than the rest (metallic flake finish) but the paint overall is a little less durable than I would like.

I have been told use a little heat to get the film off but having a frame wrap is seen as a positive so I can't foresee any reason why I would want to remove the film other than maybe the film got damaged in which case I would probably just leave it on

IME the film is tougher on scrapes/scuffs than nekid paint and also the bike washes up easier

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have been told use a little heat to get the film off but having a frame wrap is seen as a positive so I can't foresee any reason why I would want to remove the film other than maybe the film got damaged in which case I would probably just leave it on

The film is tougher on scrapes/scuffs than nekid paint and also the bike washes up easier
    Bingo, is big reason I am wrapping whatever frame I buy next. In retrospect, I should've wetted and used heat on removing the tape.