Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 424
Size:  39.7 KB
    "Can't you see..."

I thought it was Sharks versus jets?

sharks don't care which.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Curious, are more people killed by bears or sharks?
    Wolves...it's why we carry handguns!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Wish I was ocean size. They cannot move you, yeah no man tries. I want to be more like the ocean, no talking and all action.
    Similarly, do more surfers drown than backcountry skiers die in avalanches? I mean I'm sure there are more ocean drownings as more people are playing in the ocean, but for the activities that the average maggot might want to engage in, I'm not sure the risks are that different.

That being said, I'd choose the mountains. As someone mentioned earlier, the complex topography just makes things more interesting for me. I'd certainly rather live at the beach than many other places, but if I had the choice I'd take the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Similarly, do more surfers drown than backcountry skiers die in avalanches? I mean I'm sure there are more ocean drownings as more people are playing in the ocean, but for the activities that the average maggot might want to engage in, I'm not sure the risks are that different.
    TGR to the rescue: https://tgr.scdn2.secure.raxcdn.com/...s-of-dying.jpg (click graphic to expand)

Surfers are selfish assholes by nature. There's rules to surfing and then there are the unspoken rules such as if I don't know you and you suck them I'm snaking your wave.

In contrast, skiers seem to be pretty friendly for the most part. Probably because there is enough space to go around that everyone can enjoy it.

That being said, surf in California is garbage. It's crowded, cold, and small most of the time. I preferred to go to the mountains when I lived in California. And most of the water is polluted. I got a number of ear infections in San Diego.

The ocean in Hawaii is a different story. It's beautiful, warm, and the waves are like no where on earth. The ocean in Hawaii feels like it has healing powers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    Surfers are selfish assholes by nature. There's rules to surfing and then there are the unspoken rules such as if I don't know you and you suck them I'm snaking your wave.
    Uhhhhh.... localism exists among skiers too if you ask me, particularly as resorts get more and more crowded. I've seen plenty of skiers that suck or are simply too slow bullied off of bumpy traverses on a pow day. I've seen plenty of lines snaked too.

Are knives drawn, windows broken, etc., at the ski hills? I always thought the animosity was directed towards the snowboarders, aka the spongers on the mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Uhhhhh.... localism exists among skiers too if you ask me, particularly as resorts get more and more crowded. I've seen plenty of skiers that suck or are simply too slow bullied off of bumpy traverses on a pow day. I've seen plenty of lines snaked too.
    That pales in comparison to what I've seen surfing.

When I was a kid growing up on Oahu I watched people get dunked and held under just for attempting to paddle for a wave a local wanted. I've seen people sent in just for getting in the way.

People may snub you or do petty shit on the ski slopes but you can still have fun and find your own lines. Paddle out to world class waves on an epic day at a spot you're not a local and you probably won't catch a wave unless you're a pro level ripper.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#shaka

I've seen bro's pulled out of the surf by their leashes and beat the shit out of for trying to surf a break. I've never seen that riding lifts anywhere.

Although, I heard the shit gets a bit crazy at alta now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I thought it was Sharks versus jets?
    Jets got stuck on the treadmill.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The Bro Brah Surf Nazi hype's not as much of a factor for the topic of Beach/surf vs Mtn/ski for life. If you're living there for life, and you're not a total douche you earn your cred eventually. I went through it somewhat when I moved to Long Island and started surfing. Acted humble and went weekday mornings at first. Talking to folks who looked experienced asking advice. Didn't go out when it was crowed the first week or so until a few of the other locals got to know me. By about week 3 going to the same beach several times a week I knew the rules, most of them knew me. I still stayed out of the way when the waves were bigger and the line ups were fierce. YMMV.. But if you move there and try to follow the unwritten codes nobody's going to attack you..

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Wolves...it's why we carry handguns!
    I hope you were being silly as wolves rarely get close to people as they know they suck ass.

I found two documented fatal - and tragic - attacks by wolves in North America. On Nov. 8, 2005, searchers recovered the body of a man in northern Saskatchewan. Two years later a jury found that he had died from "injuries consistent with a wolf attack." An investigator suspected that the attacking wolves might have lost their fear of people after eating at open garbage dumps. Luigi Boitani, wolf expert, expressed a different opinion in a 2015 interview with Spiegel. He said that the man had apparently been feeding the wolves regularly and that this could cause them to lose their fear of people.

On Mar. 8, 2010, the body of a woman was found along a road near a rural Alaskan community. The Alaska Department of Fish and Game - relying on DNA evidence for the first time - concluded that wolves killed her and that the wolves were not defending a kill or habituated to people.

So wolves have killed two people, one in Alaska, one in Canada. But what about in the lower 48 where that hunter feared for his safety?

A 2002 report prepared for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game found no human deaths in North America attributed to wild, healthy wolves since at least 1900.

https://www.thedodo.com/how-many-peo...413351180.html
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Moose are what you have to watch out for skiing/riding off the beaten path. Bears are asleep. Wolves got better things to do and avoid people as mentioned. Mama moose don't give two fucks about going a little out of her way to crush you like a beer can.

Quote Originally Posted by C Law View Post

Although, I heard the shit gets a bit crazy at alta now and then.
    Just don’t fucking stop on the High T.

[QUOTE=liv2ski;5742324]I hope you were being silly as wolves rarely get close to people...[QUOTE]

Silly??? Clearly, you’re not familiar with the untamed wilderness of New Hampshire!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Moose are what you have to watch out for skiing/riding off the beaten path. Bears are asleep. Wolves got better things to do and avoid people as mentioned. Mama moose don't give two fucks about going a little out of her way to crush you like a beer can.
    This. I've surfed and dived in sharky ass water, been around bears working and hunting, but that look that mama moose gives you is scary as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    That pales in comparison to what I've seen surfing.

When I was a kid growing up on Oahu I watched people get dunked and held under just for attempting to paddle for a wave a local wanted. I've seen people sent in just for getting in the way.

People may snub you or do petty shit on the ski slopes but you can still have fun and find your own lines. Paddle out to world class waves on an epic day at a spot you're not a local and you probably won't catch a wave unless you're a pro level ripper.
    "Get off my wave haloe!"

you are most likley to be acosted by suicidal unglets when you are driving your car
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    "Get off my wave haloe!"
    You might be a haole if...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you are most likley to be acosted by suicidal unglets when you are driving your car
    Little suicidal ungs?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had a buffalo run right into my truck while driving through the park one night. Just like that rental car recently. Too bad I din't have a dash cam, it would have made the call to the insurance company easier.

But along the same lines, I was just down in West Yellowstone and almost got wrecked twice. Do I need to point out the national origin of the other drivers? They scare me more than any bear or moose.