Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I’m not really a big fan of the beach in OR & WA
    They have beaches there? I thought it was just rocky, brutally cold ocean front not fit for leisure. Doesn't the coast guard train their skippers there because the wash in is so brutal..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Beech surfing is a new trend around Half Moon Bay.

I suppose if you asked me in my 30s or 40s I'da said western mntn town in a heartbeat. Tahoe was the dream. Two meniscus smoothings, 2 full dislocations, and an ACL tear later and I'm heading to the beach.

Christ if I did tahoe now I wouldn't be walking for long.
    "Can't you see..."

What are the common traumatic injuries for surfers? Just lacerations, concussions, and infections?

Chronic injuries? Surfers ear?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What are the common traumatic injuries for surfers? Just lacerations, concussions, and infections?

I've had all of those including fucked right knee ( torn meniscus and MCL )

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I suppose if you asked me in my 30s or 40s I'da said western mntn town in a heartbeat. Tahoe was the dream. Two meniscus smoothings, 2 full dislocations, and an ACL tear later and I'm heading to the beach.

Christ if I did tahoe now I wouldn't be walking for long.
    Skin cancer ain't no joke either...

Flesh eating bacteria...
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Cougars.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Ear problems are usually the long term exposure to cold water, I have seen some swimmer ear in WW kayaking but WW kayakers aren't really submerged in the water that much I bet its worse in surfers ?

I went to the beach to rehab an MCL, I thot about trying surfing but all them gringos with the banged up limbs convinced me I should settle for long walks on the beach

walking in the sand was good PT
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  27636031-258A-4F65-8DFC-0B817BB44A20.jpeg
Views: 399
Size:  22.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Ear problems are usually the long term exposure to cold water
    Cold water and cold wind. And you usually get it more in one ear than the other. I have it in my left.

Chronic sinus infections (or worst). Infections from cuts on reefs or bivalves (eg muscles). Middle ear infections.

Spinals, collarbones, surf bumps, shoulder seps, toxic waste exposure, contusions, lots of contusions...

Beach/surf vs. Mtn/ski for life

My wife’s uncle was 70’s era young brother surf bum who suffered repetitive back, shoulder, and neck injuries from charging hard. This led to a lot of long term health problem (eg long term disability and chronic pain) and classic medical problem (eg pain med addiction), and it ultimately result in an early death.

This is not an uncommon story.

I'm sure that story's at least as common in skiing as surfing. Plus there's that whole mountain town suicide thing.

not sure if foot rot is worse from water sports or skiing

don't forget alcoholism

and I'm suprised no one has mentioned drowning
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I love at the coast. Not a beach person, although I have enjoyed taking my son. Good beer in cans make a world of difference. I can surf almost daily. Some of those days are world class. Lineups suck, but most of the places I surf are a bit out of the way. 8 would be a typical morning when it is on, and you’d likely know everyone. So that makes a difference. I do enjoy skiing. Inbounds non powder days are just hours of a consistent fun, and you can go all day. Ultimate, snow is less conditioned dependent than surfing, at least for me. Hard pack is less fun than powder, but I can still go out and enjoy myself. Surfing in slop or crowds just feels like more work. Kind of like how powder days can be inbounds, when everyone is racing and crawling over each other for the goods. Living in the mountains would allow me to tour a hell of a lot more, and I think that would be the draw. Would have to get back into mountain biking or something to keep me going in summer. It would be hard to give up surfing though. Like bodywhomper said, being in the ocean does something special to ya.

And Old Goat, I’m a mile off the water and about 70’ about sea level. I need a lot of warming.

don't forget alcoholism

Post #2

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've surfed off and on since the early 80s, more off than on though. It's certainly fun and always challenging to surf. Skiing has been more on than off. There are way more places to ski than there are to surf. You won't drown skiing as long as you avoid tree wells and bottomless powder. Finally SHARKS! Especially recently on the East Coast. I do get that the odds of attack are still ridiculously low but also still admit that the seemingly increase in bad attacks this summer is a factor in why our family hasn't been to the beach all summer. We do have a trip to Nags Head (Outer Banks) booked mid September.. Wedding but we're getting there a day early and staying a day after for beach stoke.

I've only surfed Long Island and North Carolina in all my years. Is surfing the same beach 99% of the time the same as skiing the same resort 99% of the time? It seems to me that flying with surf boards is more of a hassle than flying with skis. Not speaking from experience from the surf travel side though.

It's no contest for me though. I will go a LOT farther out of my way to ski than I will to surf.

don't forget alcoholism

Alcoholism and meth addition.. I watched Dewey Weber drink himself to death in Hermosa, in Santa Cruz it's meth taking the toll.

Drowning isn't that much of an issue, you got a big flotation device tied to your leg.

What about all the damned vampires??
    Or is this just in Santa Clara??
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 416
Size:  900.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post

Drowning isn't that much of an issue, you got a big flotation device tied to your leg.
    Not everyone at the beach surfs.. In fact, during the peak season here there aren't many places you can surf between 10am and 6pm. That said, I don't venture out beyond waist deep without a boogie board anymore. Too old and out of shape to fight the rippers without a little help..

If it's tourists drowning, no biggie.

We had some pretty epic psychological battles with the red shorts over black ball, it was all part of the game. But after 10 it was usually over and onshore.

Any Dentist wanting to make the switch to the coastal life... I've go the hook up. I hear there is good money in fixing Floridian teeth.

What teeth?