Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Sharks. Did anyone even mention Sharks?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Sharks. Did anyone even mention Sharks?
    I didn't think about it in my original post, but since then I've been wondering about the shark situation.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Yes Sharks are an equally serious problem at the beach and the mountains..... this poor lady was just minding her own business in her condo at stowe when this horrific attack occurred.

Beach/surf vs. Mtn/ski for life

I’d pick coast for sure. Something about the ocean has always called to me. Maybe it’s just that I grew up in the mountains and it’s a grass is greener sort of thing, but recently I’ve been surfing some, doing lots of diving/snorkeling, etc and I love it. Who knows if I’d like it forever, but given the choice I’d go beach for sure.

Plus, I’m so beat up physically from years of skiing and biking that I have to ease off the gas pedal these days which makes it less enjoyable overall. I’ll probably never be good enough at surfing to have to worry about the major injuries you get surfing big heavy waves.

Fishing can be cheap or super expensive. Im only interested in walking out on the beach and casting from there or going to the jetty to fish. Im in 300 tops for everything.

The big difference between the beach and skiing is preparation. Swim trunks and sandals and off you go. I imagine ski in/out would be great but there is still a lot of dressing that goes into it.

Don't even get me started if you have a shit sneak up on you.

Ill most likely end up in Venice once the kids are off. Rent in various ski towns.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Great Whites dont make it down to the gulf I don't think. Too warm. Plenty of other types though.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

I’d rather see a great white than a bull shark

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’d rather see a great white than a bull shark
    Or a Tiger Shark.

The weather is The determinative factor for me. No matter whether you are living on the beach in Greece Florida Costa Rica or Hawaii, you are confronted with humidity. In the Mountain West, at least in The mountain desert west, it is always dry. There is a Euge difference between 85° in Miami in July and 85° in Park City. The former is intolerable while the latter is pleasant
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 08-26-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

When I was in Maui, there were locals fishing and catching sizable fish from the beach in front of where we were staying on relatively cheap gear....

Sand: sometimes I’d avoid super sandy (shallow) shorebreak in a fullsuit because of sandpaper factor, but that’d be like day 3 or 4.... I find tar to be much worst and annoying.

Who’s going to start the woo-woo discussion about moving water, negative ions, and the effects on the brain?

For a ski forum, I'm kinda surprised how many people are picking the coast / beach.

TGR main demographic
    Name:  IMG_4788.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  105.7 KB

grew up on the northern california coast but been living at lake tahoe for 21 years, before that lived in bend and crested butte for a couple ski seasons after college. ready to gtfo of tahoe, its run its course. don't get me wrong, i love the mountains and skiing, and will always need to visit them but so much has changed about this place for the worst. my wife doesn't like it here much, especially in the winter, she is not much of a skier. i used to look forward to those big snow days but not so much anymore. the past couple big winters here have been challenging. wake up at 6am, spend an hour blowing the driveway. hope the ski resorts can get their shit together to open something, usually not. make call to go kirkwood or heavenly. need to get up there well over an hour before opening to even get a decent parking spot then the lift lines are a joke. so much douchebaggery. i almost prefer to ski on days that suck now, i even bought carving skis for christsakes, but even the corduroy is getting hacked up early by all the old geezers from down in the valley. and don't get me started about the summers, tourists are just completely insane. the beaches are just packed with all the trash from reno/carson/sacramento and all those other shitholes nearby because its too hot down there. even the offseason is getting crowded up here now. we love to leave tahoe on weekends, its like a giant decoy, just go an hour or two south and have it mostly to yourself.
    planning our retirement to the coast. both me and the wife have surfed, usually on vacations to tropical places, but surfing would never be a reason to live on the coast again. we do love kayaking and i would love to get into sailing again. but i could easily retire to a quiet coastal community and just stare at the ocean until i keel over and die. it would have to be somewhere tourists are not cunting up. no surfbreaks, no nice beaches, foul weather in winter and fog during the summer. somewhere mendocino north to bc. maybe even alaska would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The weather is The determinative factor for me. No matter whether you are living on the beach in Greece Florida Costa Rica or Hawaii, you are confronted with humidity. In the Mountain West, at least in The mountain desert west, it is always dry. There is a Euge difference between 85° in Miami in July and 85° in Park City. The former is intolerable while the latter is pleasant
    Those comments are likely true, but I still hate anything much over 75 degrees, so the mountains are better for me. I have been tracking temps in a number of locations for the last year and for me, Sun Peaks, BC works best in summer, but the milder winters in Mammoth or South Lake Tahoe are likely better for Mrs L2S. If I could make it work, winters in Mammoth and summers in Sun Peaks or Victoria.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Summer in Florida is fucking hot. Period.

That's when you dash off to the mountain junt.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Those comments are likely true, but I still hate anything much over 75 degrees, so the mountains are better for me. I have been tracking temps in a number of locations for the last year and for me, Sun Peaks, BC works best in summer, but the milder winters in Mammoth or South Lake Tahoe are likely better for Mrs L2S. If I could make it work, winters in Mammoth and summers in Sun Peaks or Victoria.
    look on Vancover island you got alpine & xc skiing on mnt washington, also lift acessed mtn biking, xc mtn biking, surfing on the east coast out of Tofino so you got both beach you got mtns and its pretty mild
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    For a ski forum, I'm kinda surprised how many people are picking the coast / beach.
    Maggots approaching retirement age.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Maggots approaching retirement age.
    Do we need to add a "trailer park in Arizona" option?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    look on Vancover island you got alpine & xc skiing on mnt washington, also lift acessed mtn biking, xc mtn biking, surfing on the east coast out of Tofino so you got both beach you got mtns and its pretty mild
    We love Vancouver Island, BUT it is so damn far from the interior for skiing. To do my summers on Vancouver Island and then winter in the interior would be the best thing ever for me. Problem is, I am in the USA on a Green Card, so I can't be out of here more than 6 months a year unless I become a citizen

Edit to add: That said, the solution is to rent out the Coronado house and rent a place in Victoria from June thru November and then drive down to Mammoth December thru May.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Pro skiers wish they were pro surfers. Pro surfers don’t wish they were pro skiers.

Mountains all the way for me. 22 years and still not sick of it. Love the winters and the summers. Mud season is a great time to go to the desert or beach. All works out pretty well. Beaches, hot weather, water, etc are fun a few times a year but don’t really do it for me long term. Crowds haven’t gotten unmanageable where I live yet, still have our spots, but it is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Pro skiers wish they were pro surfers. Pro surfers don’t wish they were pro skiers.
    Everyone wishes they were pro surfers

for all of the truth about the walkers needed in this place, for a young(er) man the gender balance was always way more favorable for dudes who like gals at the beach than in the mountains.

Wish I was ocean size. They cannot move you, yeah no man tries. I want to be more like the ocean, no talking and all action.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Curious, are more people killed by bears or sharks?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot