Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    heck, why be tied to either...rent on a yearly basis. enjoy both. though it is a tough choice...currenly enjoying the water here in hampton beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Any Dentist wanting to make the switch to the coastal life... I've go the hook up. I hear there is good money in fixing Floridian teeth.
    Naw, all those old farts have dentures.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Broke my nose surfing about 10 years ago. Iced it for a bit, went back out. Iced it and ate my sandwich, went back out. It was still bleeding two hours later.. Drove one handed for 3 hours all the way home holding ice on my face. Also broke a toe. Not sure if the toe smacked the board or something else going over the handlebars. That fucker hurt for almost two months. Had to wear shoes a size too big.

Living on the coast seems way less gear intensive

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What about all the damned vampires??
    Or is this just in Santa Clara??
    Attachment 292267
    GTFO out of Sunnydale and you are good to go

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Broke my nose surfing about 10 years ago. Iced it for a bit, went back out. Iced it and ate my sandwich, went back out. It was still bleeding two hours later.. Drove one handed for 3 hours all the way home holding ice on my face. Also broke a toe. Not sure if the toe smacked the board or something else going over the handlebars. That fucker hurt for almost two months. Had to wear shoes a size too big.
    Ha, I ate it one time and cut my dome open with a fin, favorite board, busted that sucker out. I took the board into ding repair before I went in for stitches at doc in the box.

Not everyone at the beach surfs.. In fact, during the peak season here there aren't many places you can surf between 10am and 6pm. That said, I don't venture out beyond waist deep without a boogie board anymore. Too old and out of shape to fight the rippers without a little help..
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 467
Size:  855.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Living on the coast seems way less gear intensive
    Fishing and boating have a little gear associated with them my man.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ok boats are pricey

People spend unbelievable money on fishing gear too, and it's always technical and evolving and changing like ski gear. Plus there's clothes, and survival stuff, it goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 467
Size:  855.9 KB

The Beach House

I'll take the mountains, thank you very much
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I was just in Quepos a couple of weeks ago.

Cool. We used to own a condo at Los Altos in Quepos, but sold it when we moved to Playa Escondido.
    I love anything with John McGinley. We were best friends growing up and played a lot of baseball and football together in high school
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Agree with much of what has been mentioned...based off mostly CA experiences.

Choice: Mtn

Reasoning:
    *sand: sucks
    (Beaches available in the mountains, sand is not as fine; not seeping into every crevice - manageable)

*Crowds: suck

Granted; crowds at both activity locations, but...
    Beaches: crowded during activity time; when you leave... you are immediately exposed to additional crowds, for miles upon miles in the urban sprawl.
    Mtns: crowd potential at resorts; but when you leave the playground, typically venturing to a more isolated/relaxed setting. The ability to get away/isolate is much more manageable in the mountain setting.

I too will venture back to the beaches occasionally; not, because I need a reminder. It’s more to expose my kids to the pain of hustle/bustle, and how quickly I can ramp up my anxiety! 🤪

Beach is cool; the water is fun - but, I’ll take the mtns/snow.

What is with you guys and the sand phobia?

Speedos vs board shorts issues?

chafing

just because you can, doesn't mean you have to.

dealing with sand from the beach is such a JONG problem.

It’s an OCD thing... it’s not easy, but something I have to deal with

I think about this question a lot. Weirdly I live a few blocks from the ocean but skiing is a bigger part of my life. It doesn’t really make sense except it just has worked out that way.

I don’t think there’s any feeling more sublime than surfing a good wave. That said, skiing bottomless pow is pretty close and for me at least easier and lasts a lot longer. Especially if you tour.

But the real reason I love skiing more is this: backcountry skiing is (maybe always?) a wilderness experience, and it’s so much easier to be alone and commune with nature, which is ultimately what I’m seeking. As otherworldly as sliding on top of the water *in the fucking ocean* is, it’s never felt like a wilderness experience to me. You’re always right next to land, and that land is almost certainly not wild, unless you’re living some life of luxury I don’t have access to. Oh and good luck finding solitude. You aren’t really exploring the ocean surfing the way you are exploring mountains skiing.

That said, holy shit am I lucky I get to do both regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    The Beach House

I'll take the mountains, thank you very much
    Hey Bubba, grab those poles and some red wigglers QUICK!

Sharks. Nobody has mentioned Sharks. The damn things are all over the beach. Even if you stay knee to waist deep. They will still eventually get you.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Sharks. Nobody has mentioned Sharks. The damn things are all over the beach. Even if you stay knee to waist deep. They will still eventually get you.
    Have you even read the thread...about 50 people mentioned sharks.

Somehow, this became largely about surf/ski, but that wasn't really my original intent. My question related more to an intangible "feeling." Bodywhomper mentioned it in the first few posts, there's something about the ocean that makes me feel good...almost like an energy that is passed on. Maybe it's the salt water. It's not just the surfing...it's the feeling of being there. I could sit on a beach all day/every day and just look at the ocean, listen to the waves. There's just something about it that's magical.

But I feel the same way about the mountains. It's not just the skiing. Something about being outside in the mountains. The visuals, the smells, the sounds. When I'm going fast on a mtb or in snow, I smile, sometimes even laugh...I can't help it. There's just a feeling of joy.

Both places provide a happiness, but I can't explain exactly why. I also can't figure which one I like better.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I've been bitten by a lot more snow snakes than sharks in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I think about this question a lot. Weirdly I live a few blocks from the ocean but skiing is a bigger part of my life. It doesn’t really make sense except it just has worked out that way.

I don’t think there’s any feeling more sublime than surfing a good wave. That said, skiing bottomless pow is pretty close and for me at least easier and lasts a lot longer. Especially if you tour.

But the real reason I love skiing more is this: backcountry skiing is (maybe always?) a wilderness experience, and it’s so much easier to be alone and commune with nature, which is ultimately what I’m seeking. As otherworldly as sliding on top of the water *in the fucking ocean* is, it’s never felt like a wilderness experience to me. You’re always right next to land, and that land is almost certainly not wild, unless you’re living some life of luxury I don’t have access to. Oh and good luck finding solitude. You aren’t really exploring the ocean surfing the way you are exploring mountains skiing.

That said, holy shit am I lucky I get to do both regularly.
    I’ll show you some wilderness feeling surfing between you and me if you want. I don’t like surfing all alone, but there are places to go if you want to be alone. Well, alone with the land lord.

I brought this thread up with the Mrs. she asked if it was ski vs surf or mountains vs coast. She pointed out that calling it the “beach” is short sighted. There is so much more to the coastal life than a day at the beach. Such as boating, fishing, eating fish that was swimming that morning, eating crabs that were crabbing that morning, tide pools, vistas, sea life viewing, scuba etc.

I agree with a lot that Jorian has to say about how the feeling of good skiing lasts longer. But I’d have a hard time giving up my view from my kitchen sink window.

And who ever mentioned urban sprawl along with beaches is doing it wrong. Choose a beach not in a city. They do exist along the thousands of miles of coastline in this country.

And yes, bitching about sand means you are a beach JONG. Fuck, I hate sand as well, but that shit literally just rinses off. Get out of the speedo or suits with liners and it is not a problem.