Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Why y’all limiting yourself to discussion of stand-up surfing. There are plenty of other ways to enjoy oneself at a beach and in the water.
    Well, there used to be abalone diving during the off season, but that went away..

Never really cared for the beach. Hate that grimy, salty, sandy feeling. I also really like seasonal changes - bike in the summer, ski in the winter. You don't really get that if you live next to a giant heat sink. So yeah, mountains, all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I also really like seasonal changes - bike in the summer, ski in the winter. You don't really get that if you live next to a giant heat sink.
    there are huge seasonal changes at the beach - just not in the sorority girl I get to wear a different outfit way. From flat-ass no swell no-surf summers, to victory at sea winters. runs of strange and different fish, migrations of species, all kinds of changes.

I've had way more grimy, gritty, salty days in the mountains than at the beach. snow baths << ocean swim.

I just came back from SD, 25 yrs ago I lifeguarded at mission Beach, and I couldn’t help but think how different life would have been if I returned to full time position after college.

Anyway, 15 yrs of shitty Midwest winters I’m tempted to choose the beach in a couple of yrs.

Surfing is cheap, good yr round exercise and pacific sunsets everyday would be good for the soul. And I don’t care where I live so long as I’m a few blocks from the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    there are huge seasonal changes at the beach - just not in the sorority girl I get to wear a different outfit way. From flat-ass no swell no-surf summers, to victory at sea winters. runs of strange and different fish, migrations of species, all kinds of changes.
    Now I'm missing it again.

Better Mexican Food at the beach, too. Birria tacos after a good session = Heaven.

A lot depends on which beach and which mountain. If I had to live at San Diego, Orange or LA county beaches (or any east coast beach), I would go mountain. If I had to live at any east coast or most CO mountains, I'd go beach.

Over all, I prefer the near perfect weather of southern California and the uncrowded beaches of Ventura/Santa Barbara counties. I love the mountains, but a few weeks at a time are eniugh for me. It would suck to have to get up early after every snow storm just to did your car out to get to work.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

It's why I live in seacoast NH. Beach and mountains are close by. Nah, it's not the Pacific or massive Rockies, but it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    snow baths << ocean swim.
    Never had a sauna next to the beach, so I am biased.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Never had a sauna next to the beach, so I am biased.
    drop into a temperate bath defeats the whole purpose, no?

In the tropics tidepools can get damn hot.

TAHOE bitchez!
    Solid 10 Day...Mid Eighties!

It's cool I live where you vacation.

And Hutash we ski pow those mornings!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Both. In the Pacific Northwest my house is on the beach and I am 35minute from the parking lot at the local ski hill. No surfing at the house but I can paddle board, kayak or fish in front of the house.
    Find the right place and you can have the best of both worlds.
    Being grown-up sucks!

Both.

Takes about 500 bucks and 5.5 hours to get from TPA to EGE.
    Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 08-24-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Folks acting all candy-assed about the heat at the beach don't seem to have actually been to one or understand why folks go. It's actually quite a bit COOLER at the beach than it is farther inland.. same goes for out on the lake. The cool breeze coming in off the water and the ability to hop in and cool down even more is what it's all about there. Hot and humid without that cool breeze sucks!

I'm 3 hours from 80 degree Atlantic water right now and 3 hours away from 5.5K elevation. Wish I were closer to both but glad I'm not farther away from either.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

mountains got lakes.... lakes got beaches.

fact.

Love the ocean, lakes....meh.
    To me, water is al about salinity
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Thems is the facts

I love water and beach pace of life. But mountains capture my imagination like no other. Endless complexity in the terrain, vistas, winter up there while moderate weather at home, it's a tough combo to beat. Cool and breezy aspen groves while my house bakes in teh sun.

Reefs and coral beaches are incredible though. Belize feels like a utopia, swimming with sharks & rays & cuda or stalking bonefish on the flats. I could make do in the Southish Pacific or Andaman Sea.

Earth is pretty righteous.

/blog
    Wow, just wow. I almost threw up in my mouth. Do you work for Hallmark or Disney? I forget.
    Smell my Mule
    crab in my shoe mouth

I have never and will never utter the words, ‘capture my imagination’.
    Fuck Braj
    crab in my shoe mouth

I've got some awesome lakes near me. Hard to beat tooling around on a jetski finding water falls and eating catfish at the dock. Good bass fishing too.

I like the beach more though. Probably due to the lake being so close.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    beaches are all white trash
    mtn towns all the way, at least the people are sohpisticated
    WTF, you hate mtn town people too? I thought you didn't like anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Mountains or beaches, I still think young people should live at the beach at least once in their lives.

One week a year at the beach is great. Preferably Hawaii. But NEVER during ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    One week a year at the beach is great. Preferably Hawaii. But NEVER during ski season.
    When my wife retires June 2020, she agreed to live in Tahoe with me for a winter try out in 2020/21, as long as I agree we can fly to where it is a warm/beach for two weeks when she starts to lose it in February. Seemed like a small price to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It would suck to have to get up early after every snow storm just to did your car out to get to work.
    Imagine living in the upper midwest, doing that shit from November to April, and also not having the mountains.

Name:  866B9485-E5DA-4ACA-9F61-E0B771D4AB90.gif
Views: 349
Size:  412.6 KB

“Geez, ias sure seems irritable”
    Imagine that...
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 08-24-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    When my wife retires June 2020, she agreed to live in Tahoe with me for a winter try out in 2020/21, as long as I agree we can fly to where it is a warm/beach for two weeks when she starts to lose it in February. Seemed like a small price to pay.
    Just don't check the snow report while you are gone, it'll drive you nuts.

I guess I am lucky to already live in the mountains so no need for negotiating. In your situation it makes sense though. Good luck.

I’m not really a big fan of the beach in OR & WA