Saddles? Durango-Moab hut to hut

We start the San Juan huts tour next week and I need a new saddle.

Any favorites? Comfort is key...

Anyone do the route? We of course added the beer service and my concern is that it will not be cold enough??

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    It's all about the sit bones. Measure your sit bone width and buy the appropriate width saddle. Big fan of my ergon pro saddle.

SQ Lab 611 or whatever it's name is has treated mine well.

1 week? Did the old saddle die suddenly? If you know one that's been working maybe stay with it.

Changing saddles right before a long ride sounds like a terrible idea.

There is no 'right' answer for saddles, there is only personal preference. That said, I love Terry Fly (men's) saddles, I have them on seven bikes.
    I believe they have a 30 day money back if you buy it through them, you would have to check for sure, though.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Changing saddles right before a long ride sounds like a terrible idea.
    Agree. That's like buying new ski boots right before a hut trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is no 'right' answer for saddles, there is only personal preference.
    Yep.

A local bike shop may be able to measure. I think it was specialized that had some measuring tool, went to my LBS, got sized on that, and bought the "correct" saddle based on that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks, I've read mixed results with measuring sits bones but it's worth a try. We've got a good shop locally too.

I've logged lots of mileage over the years, not too worried about new saddle before a big trip. Anything is going to better than the Selle Italia q-bik that came stock on my Troy, a 2x4 would be more comfortable...I like the seat on my road bike, any reason not to use that?

No intel on the ride? Looks pretty sweet...

Use the road saddle if you love it, no question.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sounds like a great Trip! Only thing I would say about a road saddle is some have a really narrow nose that I would not want to use to keep the front end down for very long climbs. I'm just a recreational day rider but after trying the Ergon saddle and some others that came on new bikes I am back to using the plain jane WTB Volt and Rocket.
    I like both. Not fancy 50 bucks. The Rocket has a little thicker padding.

As for measuring, a piece of aluminum foil on a piece of closed cell foam like an ensolite sleeping pad. Put on the 2nd or 3rd stair and its pretty easy to get a good measure.

Just finished the telluride to Moab route. Beers will be cold. Ride what you usually ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Thanks, I've read mixed results with measuring sits bones but it's worth a try. We've got a good shop locally too.
    It is very simple to measure sit bones yourself. I ignore all the advice to create some type of impression in foil, clay, bags of flour, etc. Just get a seamstress tape (regular tape measure will do in a pinch) and measure the distance between the bony protrusions of your butt while sitting in a chair and mimicking your riding position. Work the tape under yer arse, hold one end on the pointiest portion of one bone and note the point on the tape where the other pointy bone is. It's not rocket surgery.

I am getting spammed constantly for a flexible Tioga saddle. Anyone use one of these and have feedback?

Those flexible saddles are garbage. They tried selling those 20 years ago. Everything repeats itself in the bike industry. Don't fall for it.

How was the trip? Who did you book through?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Nothing to add on the ride but I decided to try the SQ Labs saddles this summer. Generally don't have complaints about saddles on the MTB *except* long fire road climbs would always result in numb junk. On the road, seated climbing or even flat riding: same.

Did the at home sitbones measuring using cardboard, couldn't have been easier. Got the saddle (611 Active) for the mountain bike, zing, numb junk issue solved. Got one for the road bike (612 Active), same deal, no more problem. They take a little getting used to as they are HARD, felt fine after a ride or two. Setup was easy. The high back is great for climbing as is the wide nose. The saddle really cradles your sit bones and helps keep you in the sweet spot without having to fight it.

These saddles are legit, three thumbs up!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

These SQLab things really are quite good. I have an old Nashbar saddle that's maybe a dozen years old now with a kind of similar shape but more pronounced, more padded and less width at the nose. I don't hate going back to it, but it always reminds me how good the SQ is.